1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Salt Rising Bread Baking Success

Discussion in 'Food Talk' started by markmizzou, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Feb 1, 2023 at 11:19 AM
    markmizzou

markmizzou [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    17 SR5 V6 4x4 AC AT tow pkg. Blue as they come
    A back step for when I get older, Carhartt seatcovers, 4Runner wheels, Topper, and "tats all folks"! --for now!!
    After a failed first attempt, wife and I had success with making this difficult bread. I had remembered this very unusual bread from my childhood years, when my Dad (a neighborhood grocer) got this bread from somewhere/someone/somehow. If you have ever had it (and liked it) you would remember it -very distinctive and unique taste. The bread "toasted" is to die for -both rich and unique in it's flavor. One has to make a new "starter" everytime and make a new "sponge" each time. To keep this short - our second try was a success and my taste buds were sent back in time 60 years ago. This type of bread was supposedly developed in the back country Appalachia by the people who had no access to yeast for the making of their bread.
    I had looked on these threads for someone else who had some experience with eating and or baking this type of bread - no luck . After googling the subject -where I should have went in the first place, I discovered the rich history of this bread. Also found several recipes with good tips to use , plus some good videos including this guys version which is easy to follow: (1) Salt Rising Bread Recipe - YouTube. We did cut the potatoes into smaller slices our second time around and that seemed to help. More surface to help the "action" of creation of the microbes.
    Anyone else have any memories of this bread?

wilcam47 likes this.
  2. Feb 1, 2023 at 11:20 AM
    Speedytech7

Speedytech7 Toyota Cult Ombudsman

Member:
    First Name:
    ゼイン
    5520 E Sprague Ave, Spokane Valley, WA 99212
    Vehicle:
    93 80 Series LC & 96 Turbo V6 Taco 4WD
    I've done a mod or two
  3. Feb 1, 2023 at 11:24 AM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    My Grandmother use to make it ...she passed away and i had forgotten about it till i seen this.
    It is very good:hungry:

wilcam47 likes this.
  4. Feb 1, 2023 at 3:42 PM
    markmizzou

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    A back step for when I get older, Carhartt seatcovers, 4Runner wheels, Topper, and "tats all folks"! --for now!!
    Did she, by any chance, pass on her recipe?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  5. Feb 13, 2023 at 9:03 AM
    markmizzou

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Great success yesterday with the Salt Rising Bread quest . We got three great loaves with the potato starter method. If you have never tasted this incredible bread - TRY IT -You will be amazed at the taste when toasted. This is the recipe we used and this guys video is great to get one started. We did slice our potatoes in slender 1/4 inch slices and slice those in half to make more space for the overnight fermentation of the starter. We also added 1 Tbl sp of germinated (full grain) cornmeal to the starter formula. We did try the full cornmeal starter and it was a failure. So far we are 2 for 3 tries and these loaves are fantastic and rose better than our first mini- success. I celebrated the Chiefs victory late last night at midnight with two toasted/buttered pieces of this bread with a glass of milk before bed . I slept like a log! ( the earlier beer helped to). Here is the link for the video we got started with Salt Rising Bread Recipe - YouTube

[​IMG]

6. Feb 23, 2023 at 5:39 PM
    markmizzou

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Come on folks -- are you all afraid to try this very delicious bread developed by the backwoods women of the Applacian mountains. I am going to do our 4th batch when the boss (aka wife) gets back from a trip. My third batch was good tasting with a "hitch" -no problem with the starter and the sponge. I tried to do the kneading myself without the tuteledge of my Wife and I had a mess on my hands -really on my hands. the dough was so sticky I think I accidently invented the worlds first edible and bio-degradeable (maybe) construction adhesive. This is why I am waiting for her expertise to watch over me. Also she did not like me getting this sticky dough (construction adhesive) all over her kitchen.

7. Mar 8, 2023 at 3:45 PM
    perterra

perterra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tejas
    Nope, no photos, didnt happen

Products Discussed in

To Top