1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Salvage vehicles

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by pinchetaco, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Dec 6, 2017 at 4:09 PM
    pinchetaco

pinchetaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Taco 6 inch ProComp Lift 35's
    6 inch ProComp Lift, 35s, ProComp Wheels, 4.88 gears, Debadged, BHLM, Dome Light Mod, Trailer Plug Relocated
    So, I have been recently contemplating buying a salvage vehicle. I am wanting something newer than my 89 civic to make the 45 min commute back and forth to work. I was recently loking on coparts website and obviously saw very cheap salvaged cars. From wrecked, flood, or vandalized cars. Has anyone purchased any salvaged cars and had success with it? At first thought, I was looking at some of these flood cars, minor visible damage, then you get into the electronics possibly being toast. Vandalized cars don't look so bad, some cosmetic damage. Wrecked cars would probably be my last choice. Most are completely trashed. Thoughts and experiences are welcome. Im pretty handy with a wrench and have no hangups on getting down and dirty under the hood. I figure worst case scenario is the car is clapped out and I cant get it going and I have to part it out.

PennSilverTaco likes this.
  2. Dec 6, 2017 at 4:16 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    Not worth it. Most major insurance companies stay away from salvage vehicles even with liability only. Hard to put a value on salvage. I would say wholesale blue book minus 50%. I suggest you get another civic. Easy to be had for less than $2K. I think my last beater civic was a 1993 5 spd with 130K. Replaced the oil pump and timing belt for under $100 and it was good to go. Can't beat mpg's on them either.

3. Dec 6, 2017 at 4:17 PM
    kgarrett11

kgarrett11 Master Yoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    CA desert
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    ^^^ This

4. Dec 6, 2017 at 4:21 PM
    pinchetaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    6 inch ProComp Lift, 35s, ProComp Wheels, 4.88 gears, Debadged, BHLM, Dome Light Mod, Trailer Plug Relocated
    Yeah, I know what youre saying. Ive got this 89 with 220k on it and it runs just fine. Ive just been thinking about something with more amenities. Something with cruise control, power windows, locks, and power steering. My thought was if I could get something for $500 or so drop 1k in it and be rolling in something pretty nice

5. Dec 7, 2017 at 9:25 AM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    I've seen low mileage domestics go for cheap on craigslist. Once bought a 2001 Chevy Blazer with 115K and it had power everything for $2K. Used that for a while until I got bored with it.

6. Dec 7, 2017 at 5:26 PM
    pinchetaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    I have seen that as well. Im just wanting some thing made after 2002 atleast. Some modern amenities. Something that could be had really cheap that is nice. Just needs a little work.

7. Dec 7, 2017 at 5:34 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    All my vehicles are salvage title, wrecks purchased at auction. My next ones will be too. I have no fear of the salvage title.

Just be aware that you have to pay cash for the wreck. No bank will loan money on a non drivable car or truck.

8. Dec 7, 2017 at 5:35 PM
    pinchetaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    I have no problem with that. Were the ones you purchased mainly wrecks or other damage?

9. Dec 7, 2017 at 5:50 PM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Mostly front end crashes with an occasional side swipe. Usually frames are diagnosed and have to be pulled straight.

Edit: diamond shaped frame.

10. Dec 7, 2017 at 5:53 PM
    pinchetaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    That's cool. Id honestly hope for something that was more mechanical I suppose. Ive seen these flood cars but that brings up a whole new level of potential problems.

11. Dec 7, 2017 at 5:56 PM
    koditten

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    I stay away from those. I'm sure there are decent flood car deals, but the electronic damage scares me.
    If I could get a flood car cheap for the sheet metal needed for another of the same model, I might pic one up. Still, new sheet metal is one of the cheaper costs of rebuilding a car.

12. Dec 7, 2017 at 6:02 PM
    pinchetaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    Yeah that's a thing that worries me as well. Almost figured, worst case scenario that I could part something out if I couldn't get it right. Some of these cars are sub $500 for a nice looking car. Its just a thought. Bring a car back to life and enjoy it with practically nothing into it.

Products Discussed in

To Top