1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Satoshi Body work help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by primer, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Feb 16, 2011 at 4:05 PM
    primer

primer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
    06 SS Mica AC 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    (Mostly) debadged, Homelink mirror, Elevated rear diff breather, LED illuminated 4x4 switch, Color matched grill surround, Bed cover, Ivan Stewart wheels, Bridgestone 265/75 Dueler AT Revo 2 tires
    I'm making progress on my Satoshi grill. I bought the extra grill 2yr ago. Actually cut it apart in October. Now I'm in the putty/sanding phase. At this rate I'll finish about the time solar powered hovercraft replace the automobile...

But seriously - I've hit a snag. I cut plastic pieces to fill the gaps and epoxied them in place. I'm smoothing things out with this:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P6US6U/ref=oss_product

I'm new to this stuff, but would describe it as a fiberglass type body filler that is two parts, one being the putty, the other being a cream hardener.

Things were going well. I have gotten one side nearly paint ready. I put a little more filler on the other side and went light on the hardener. I recognized that it didn't firm up right away. I decided to give it some time. That was 3 days ago.

It is dry to the touch, but when I tried to sand it today it just gummed up. I can't really sand it down, but I can scratch little bits off with my fingernail. I'm hesitant to put more stuff on it. Would a solvent of some time take this off?

I'm not sure how to fix this mistake.

Any help would be appreciated.

TL

2. Feb 16, 2011 at 4:13 PM
    THExBUSxDRIVER

THExBUSxDRIVER Victory is reserved...

Member:
    First Name:
    GOO5E
    Vehicle:
    Old Man Tan!
    Not enough.
    I'm guessing not enough hardener was added.

3. Feb 16, 2011 at 4:24 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    x2 scrape it off

4. Feb 16, 2011 at 4:26 PM
    primer

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:
    (Mostly) debadged, Homelink mirror, Elevated rear diff breather, LED illuminated 4x4 switch, Color matched grill surround, Bed cover, Ivan Stewart wheels, Bridgestone 265/75 Dueler AT Revo 2 tires

Correct diagnosis. With that batch for some reason a thin liquid came out of the hardener tube. I wasn't sure how much of the thick stuff I should add. Turns out the answer is more than I did.

Now - what do I do about it? I'm afraid to put another layer on top of that uncured stuff, but I suppose maybe the hardner in the new stuff might make it cure.

Not sure. Need advice.

5. Feb 16, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    all.on.black

all.on.black Well-Known Member

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Sport with a few mods
    You're going to have to scrape off the old crap. Do not put more on top. It'll most likely end up cracking over time. Just take a screw driver or a thick blade and scrape if off.

6. Feb 16, 2011 at 5:08 PM
    primer

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:

Damn. That's gonna be hard. I was hoping some solvent would help it wipe off.

TL

7. Feb 16, 2011 at 5:13 PM
    AsianAnts

AsianAnts just an AnT

Member:
    First Name:
    AnT
    Southern California (San Diego County)
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner TRD Sport L/B Grey Metallic
    -Satoshi Grille Upper/Lower/Triangles -LED Map Lights, LED Dome Light, LED License Plate Lights -No front license -Wet Okole -Weather Techs (digi) -Running Boards -Bed Extender -AFE Cold Air Intake 2SI Dry Filter -Tailgate Hose-Clamp Mod, Tailgate washer Mod -Combi chain lock on bed extender -no chime w/ key in ignition & open door -Fog Light anytime -Slim Cubby's 3kHID fog -bumper plugs -keyhole plug -TRD license plate frame -combi-lock storage -rear TSB -window tint -camera mod -Painted radiator/engine covers -LS460 RetroFit -Bed Tie-Downs -LED Gauge Cluster, radio, clock and AC -Bed Mat -Extra DRings -Painted center console, radio unit, ac panel, overhead console.
    nope... i hit the same problem when i did mine this weekend.. scraped it off and put more hardener instead... works fine... im gonna resand and repaint mine this weekend because i missed some spots in the corner.

8. Feb 16, 2011 at 6:07 PM
    primer

Member:
    First Name:
    T
    OK
    Vehicle:

You aren't suggesting I just put more hardener on top of the stuff that's there are you. That doesn't seem right, but is seems like you are suggesting that.

TL

Products Discussed in

To Top