1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Satoshi - Bud Light Mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by mabrown24, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Apr 20, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    mabrown24

mabrown24 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brownie
    Clemson, SC
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner SR5 Silver Taco
    Satoshi Mod, BHLM, Volant CAI, OEM Roof Rack, Bull Bar, 4" Side Steps, Front & Rear TSB, 5.8" Pioneer TouchScreen DVD Head Unit, Sony 6.5 Componet Speakers (Front), 5.25 (rear), Advance Tri-fold hard cover, Blacked out Badges.
    Ok ok...I know there are a lot of threads on the Satoshi mod but I figured it would be nice to share since I don't have much experience in auto body work and everything is going well.

So, just got my used silver OEM grille from ebay today $110 shipped. Started at about 6:30 and called it quits at about 10:30, even worked in a pizza. So far, I've taped off the grille, cut out the black plastic middle, sanded the recessed section (used Craftmans 7 in 1 verison tool - highly recommend), filled recessed side sections with scrap from middle cut-out piece, epoxied, and drimeled out the side triangles.

So far so good! Will apply finish putty, let dry and sand tomorrow (if time allows). Next I'll paint and attach my mesh from customcargrills.com ($60) with epoxy. Will give more updates.

Oh yea, I almost forgot...the BudLight box did most of the work. He kept me focused and held the grille the whole time.

IMAGE_076.jpg
    IMAGE_077.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Apr 20, 2010 at 9:10 PM
    thai fyter

thai fyter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Awesome bro, looks like you are making some serious progress. Keep us updated, looking forward to the finished look!

3. Apr 21, 2010 at 6:52 AM
    09Doright8126

09Doright8126 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Greenwood, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Offroad Pyrite Prerunner
    Aires chrome bullbar, Wet Okole seat covers, 6" KC offroad Slimlites w/ covers, upper Grillecraft black w/ TRD emblem, Redline hood struts, URD TCAI w/ black wrap, URD MAF Sensor, NST pulleys, NST intake manifold spacer, Bilstein 5100s, Eibach coils painted red, painted red brake calipers, SST brake lines, debadged tailgate, window tint, bed mat, extra D-rings, Rear TSB, Tranny TSB, swaybar removed, DTLT headers, URD Y-pipe, Vibrant Resonator, MagnaFlow
    Can't wait to see the finished product...!!

4. Apr 21, 2010 at 6:56 AM
    Oskie_78

Oskie_78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    1998 4Runner, 2016 4Runner, 2023 Tacoma
    maybe that's why he didn't finish :)

5. Apr 21, 2010 at 6:59 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    LOL pretty good thread name. What you accomplished in the course of an evening took me two weeks. Lookin good so far!

6. Apr 21, 2010 at 7:44 AM
    mabrown24

Member:
    First Name:
    Brownie
    Clemson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Satoshi Mod, BHLM, Volant CAI, OEM Roof Rack, Bull Bar, 4" Side Steps, Front & Rear TSB, 5.8" Pioneer TouchScreen DVD Head Unit, Sony 6.5 Componet Speakers (Front), 5.25 (rear), Advance Tri-fold hard cover, Blacked out Badges.
    Thanks for the props fellas. I should start on phase two tonight. I think I made a lot of progress last night due to the tools I was using. The drimel is awesome and has 1000 uses. I figured the money I'd save doing the Satoshi myself would pay for the Drimel ($60 at lowes). The Craftsman's 7 in 1 Tool ($100 at Sears) was originally purchased for my bathroom renovations (which was delayed due to mods on my TACO...LOL) and really speeds up the time for sanding.

I've worked construction through college so I know how to prep dry walls and patch holes...hopefully it's not too different on the plastic recessed section....any suggestions? I'll hit it with about 300 grit sand paper, and finish it off with 800 for a smooth finish then use Krylon Fusion for plastic paint (used the same on my BHLM and badges)...I hope this is a good route. I'll let you guys know what the verdict is.

Oh yea...don't tell my GF (or whatever she is) that this is the project that kept me from chatting on the phone with her for hours last night (shooting myself in the head)...I'm supposed to be working on the bathroom...LOL.

7. Apr 21, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    mabrown24

Member:
    First Name:
    Brownie
    Clemson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Ok Phase two...not so smooth...lol. So got in from work and checked my epoxy. It held up strong, so I applied the finishing putty. Let it dry for about an hour while I performed a grilled chicken and baked potato mod...num num!

Checked the bondo work...still wasn't dry and begin to crack. Two additional hours later...still drying and cracking even worse. Does any one have any suggestions? Maybe I packed too much on? Maybe I used the wrong finishing putty (bondo from Walmart)? I plan on letting it dry over night, sanding it down this weekend and then applying a new layer of finishing putty. Hope this works. I'm sure I can get it right eventually but if their are any vets out there that have a better way please share! Thanks TW!

IMAGE_078.jpg
    IMAGE_079.jpg
    IMAGE_081.jpg
    IMAGE_082.jpg

8. Apr 21, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    LBPtaco

LBPtaco Swab

Member:
    First Name:
    Winter
    California Maritime Academy
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD
    Total Chaos, SAW, Allied, Light Racing, Dakar, Billstein, Fox, URD, JBA, Demillo, Downey, Cooper, American Racing, B.A.M.F., Alpine, Ghetto Fab...
    Lookin good! :cheers:

What are you gonna do to release the hood latch? I've looked at alot of other satoshi threads and maybe I missed it, or maybe they disnt say. I'm at that point where I need some ideas for that before I finish mine.
    Thanks!

9. Apr 21, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    mabrown24

Member:
    First Name:
    Brownie
    Clemson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man! I just ran out to the truck and checked, I don't think this mod effects the hood release latch. When you pull the lever from the cabin, the hood pops up enough were you can slide your finger over the top of the grille but under the hood to release the hood. Did that answer your question or am I way off?...lol.

10. Apr 21, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    LBPtaco

LBPtaco Swab

Member:
    First Name:
    Winter
    California Maritime Academy
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD
    Total Chaos, SAW, Allied, Light Racing, Dakar, Billstein, Fox, URD, JBA, Demillo, Downey, Cooper, American Racing, B.A.M.F., Alpine, Ghetto Fab...
    I never even thought of doin it that way! I feel like a retard!

That totally answeres my question.

Thanks!

11. May 3, 2010 at 10:14 AM
    mabrown24

Member:
    First Name:
    Brownie
    Clemson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Ok, since my last update I have done a lot of sanding...lol. So I sanded down the red bondo only to find I needed to refill some cracks. So reapplied, then waited several hours before sanding again. Purchased "Filler" Primer from Autozone and applied first coat. Let dry over night since it was late. Next morning, not satisfied with finish so sanded again and applied more bondo. Sanded and then applied MORE bondo with my finger tips to mold to perfection...lol. Sanded again!!! (this took the course of over 2 days as I took my time and made sure everything was completely dry between sandings).

Applied second and third coat of primer. Water sanded with 400 and then 800 grit until finish was smooth as plastic. Sprayed first coat of Valspar Satin Black paint. Not satisfied with the finish (noticed a few rough spots from sanding). Pulled out the 400 and 800 grit and water sanded one more time. Applied second and then third coat of paint. Grill looks great!

Let dry over night. I plan to borrow some old tin snips tonight from my grandfather to cut out the mesh then attach with epoxy. Will let dry tonight and touch up any imperfections tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have a finished Satoshi by tomorrow. I have taken several days off on this project and been very patient with the drying and sanding...I recommend this to anyone who is performing this project as well. Cheers!

IMAGE_088.jpg
    IMAGE_091.jpg
    IMAGE_097.jpg
    IMAGE_098.jpg
    IMAGE_100.jpg

12. May 3, 2010 at 12:50 PM
    Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Tampa, Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    looks good man, good job!

13. May 3, 2010 at 3:53 PM

270 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    California
    Vehicle:
    09 Dc 4x4
    Just curious how come you used spot putty instead of bondo. spot putty is best used for smaller dings and such.

14. May 3, 2010 at 4:02 PM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    great work! nice and clean!

15. May 3, 2010 at 4:14 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Looking good so far... I'm subscribed! Props for pic's of the finished product - even though you bought some stuff from BLOWE'S....:D

16. May 4, 2010 at 9:51 AM
    mabrown24

Member:
    First Name:
    Brownie
    Clemson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Response to 270: I didn't realize I used spot putty, this was all walmart had...lol. The tube says Bondo...so far it seems to hold up. I'll let everyone know if I have any problems with it.

Ok everyone...finally! After tons and tons of patience’s and sand paper, the Satoshi is COMPLETE!!!

So I molded my mesh by hand to the back of the Grille. Attached with...don't laugh...Hot Glue! I did not plan this but the gun was just laying next to the table I was working on (at my grandparents house) so I decided to use this as a method to hold the mesh tight while the epoxy dries. The hot glue has worked well...I guess I might have a different story for you this summer in the heat...HA.

Well anyways...check out the pics! I'll post more today or tomorrow once I install on the truck. All that's left now is sell all my chrome side steps and bull bar, purchase some black sliders, black XD Monsters and a skid plate.

Any questions or feedback just let me know!

IMAGE_102.jpg
    IMAGE_104.jpg
    IMAGE_106.jpg
    IMAGE_112.jpg
    IMAGE_114.jpg

17. May 4, 2010 at 10:12 AM
    09Doright8126

09Doright8126 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Greenwood, SC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Offroad Pyrite Prerunner
    Aires chrome bullbar, Wet Okole seat covers, 6" KC offroad Slimlites w/ covers, upper Grillecraft black w/ TRD emblem, Redline hood struts, URD TCAI w/ black wrap, URD MAF Sensor, NST pulleys, NST intake manifold spacer, Bilstein 5100s, Eibach coils painted red, painted red brake calipers, SST brake lines, debadged tailgate, window tint, bed mat, extra D-rings, Rear TSB, Tranny TSB, swaybar removed, DTLT headers, URD Y-pipe, Vibrant Resonator, MagnaFlow
    Looks Good! Now we gotta get you some lights behind it...

18. May 4, 2010 at 10:16 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Looks great man!!! Good job!!!:thumbsup:

19. May 4, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    mabrown24

Member:
    First Name:
    Brownie
    Clemson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! Stopping by AutoZone today for some Hella's!

20. May 4, 2010 at 7:05 PM
    mabrown24

Member:
    First Name:
    Brownie
    Clemson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Pics mounted on the TACO. Maybe not as precise as Blackhawk (who does incredible work) but not too bad for no bondo experience...lol.

Last pic totally unrelated to the Satoshi mod but a pic of my DVD touch screen 09Doright8126 helped me install a few weeks back. Looks craAAAzzyy...

IMAGE_118.jpg
    IMAGE_116.jpg
    IMAGE_115.jpg
    IMAGE_120.jpg
    IMAGE_119.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top