1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scangauge Accuracy

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MTL Tacoma, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Jan 31, 2009 at 6:06 PM
    gavonder

gavonder She's Kickass!

Member:
    Ct
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Sunroof, Leer Cap w/ Thule rack, Factory Running Boards, Fog Light Mod, Hood Struts, Scangauge, w/homemade mirror mount, AC/Defrost mod, Rear Spring TSB, TRD Center Caps
    I've used my Scangauge for about 5 or 6 fillups now and I noticed that the mph is off by about 2 mph (the Scangauge being lower). But, the odometer is dead on.

I'm probably missing something, but this doesn't seem logical. If the speedo is off, wouldn't the odometer be off?

GA

2. Feb 1, 2009 at 2:38 AM
    ETAV8R

ETAV8R Out DERP'n

Member:
    Republik of Commiefornia
    Vehicle:
    MGM 09 AC 4WD V6 TRD-OR w/ Tradesman Shell
    Just the basics
    I know my mpg for a tank is off from the excel file i use to log my fillups etc. Other than that it is fairly accurate. The gallons used is right on when I fill up.

3. Feb 1, 2009 at 3:28 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    It's not a mechanical connection between the speedo and the odometer like the good old days. It's usual for the speedometer to read different (Higher) than your real speed. Your scanguage miles driven matches the odometer perfectly because it's geting the same information the odometer is from the trucks sensors. Mine also matches and it's MPH reading is very close to what my GPS shows for speed.

4. Feb 1, 2009 at 6:02 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    X2
    My the scangauge matches the GPS. However, the needle on the dash is about 2mph off. It's probably due to the 'needle' not being set precisely to the dash -but the data its receiving is accurate.

5. Feb 19, 2009 at 6:24 PM
    davatk

davatk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwestern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Sport Long Bed
    Tube Steps, Hood Deflector, ScanGauage, GPS
    I think this is the key - same station, same pump, and LET IT SHUT ITSELF OFF THEN STOP !!. Mine was pretty darn close until I started trying to top off the tank, which seems to vary depending on temperature, filling station etc. I believe the gas foams up or something, kinda like a bottle of pop, and sometimes you can't full the tank all the way to the top, but other times you can. Basically if you follow their instructions, it will be pretty close. I think I'm gonna start doing that gain. :rolleyes:

6. Feb 19, 2009 at 7:09 PM
    lasllc

lasllc Wait. . what’s wrong here

Member:
    Southwest RedRocks
    Vehicle:
    13 SuperWhite DCSB Sport TRD
    SnugTop Super Sport, BedRug mat, Redline Tuning hood lifts, LED interior lights, 3D carpet protectors.
    It seems to me, and I say this having run only two tanks thru my scangauge, that any time you change your routine significantly: ie, pull a trailer then not, haul around a bunch of sand for traction or whatever, work tools then not; that you need to re-calibrate the SG.
    Remember how you were to fill the tank the first time but not hit the refill button; then refill and hit refill and adjust the gallons on the guage to match? That was telling the guage to enter a fudge factor for your tank and filling technique, a factor that it constantly refines to the smallest correction factor possible.

If you do something that throws off your milage, which SG remembers and constantly updates, Then I think you need to re-do the calibation procedure to reset the SG memory, sort of.

SG only knows, and can only compute, based on past history.

7. Mar 8, 2009 at 4:22 PM
    drew-z

drew-z dude

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White 05 prerunner SR5 Double Cab
    AFE Brute Force CAI, pioneer touchscreen, pioneer flat series 12" sub/ custom box, window tint, HIDs, LEDs overhead, timbren suspension, BHLM, 2" leveling kit
    my scanguage seemed to read mpg accurately on the first tank i ran on it, which was an avg of 19mpg. now it is reading that im getting like 10mpg. can someone possibly tell me what im doing wrong? i have a big roadtrip in 2 days and i need to fix this

8. Mar 8, 2009 at 6:07 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    Do you enter the gallons you fill with on every fillup? You're supposed to do that as a calibration. If so, you can try resetting it and going through the setup again:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/23461-scangauge-accuracy.html#post324615

9. Mar 8, 2009 at 6:26 PM
    lasllc

lasllc Wait. . what’s wrong here

Member:
    Southwest RedRocks
    Vehicle:
    13 SuperWhite DCSB Sport TRD
    SnugTop Super Sport, BedRug mat, Redline Tuning hood lifts, LED interior lights, 3D carpet protectors.
    another thing that bought my accuracy down to with in 0.1 or 0.2 gallons each tine i have filled up is to set the cutoff point a lot lowerr then the default.

If you watch , when you take your foot off the gas the mpg goes to 9999; this means the computer is no longer measuring anything, consequently all your coasting time is not part of any calculation.

I set my cutoff at idle throttle position (TPS) +2 or , on my truck, +16 as my idle position is 16, the book says +4 or more , but I found that to really thro off the observed results.

I have found that if I maintain a TPS of 20 to 23 I tend to get maximum MPG for whatever situation lI am in at the moment; cosequently I can pick the right gear for that particular driving situation (with an auto I dont know how this all works out , you just have to experiment).

Totally stock with a Leer topper (180 # or so) and maybe 150 pounds of tools in the back; I typically get 19.4 to 20.6 in in town stop and go and on flat ground no wind interstate 65 speed control I can reliably expect 21.4 to 24.8 (instanteanous) and 21.+ average. You go 70+ and all bets are off; you need to hit the bank before a trip like that. You bought a big motor so there you go; sure glad I didnt get the 270 HP Nisson (lot of other reasons too, but . . . .)

I display Speed, TPS, MPG and Instaneous MPG.
    My tank milage and odometer mailage are always dead on. truck spedo reads 2-3 high (seems to be endemic), but odo always right there.

I dont baby it; but I am not a 20 something idiot either.

10. Jan 3, 2010 at 9:58 PM
    tvbd56

tvbd56 Epic Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Sacramento, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black DCLB OR 4x4
    i just got my scanguage and installed it on a full tank. soooo...

1. will it throw off the calculations if i fill up just a half a tank. and...

2. how can i change the tire size in it. i think the stock tires are 245/75/16 and now i have 265/70/16 mickey thompson mtz so i would think that would make a difference

11. Jan 4, 2010 at 11:51 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Both of those topics are covered in depth either in the scan gauge manual or on their website, or both.

TrailYeti likes this.
  12. Jan 4, 2010 at 12:12 PM
    williegator

williegator Well-Known Member

Member:
    atlantic beach florida
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4
    toytec Ultimate kit set @ 3 inches, Light Racing UCA's, HELO HE791 17X8 WHEELS, BFG 285-70-17's, secondary air filter removed, ARI drop in filter, Scan Gauge, Roll N Lock
    I check mine with every fill up before i drive off. Most of the time I too am within .1-.3 of what I took to refill. No problems so far...

Products Discussed in

To Top