1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

School bonds

Discussion in 'Stocks & Investments' started by river rat 69, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Jun 29, 2011 at 5:44 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Some $ coming from a old aunt. Im thinking tax free school bonds I know 3 1/2% is not a lot but its ok with me. This will be a third income they are all small but with all I will be ok. Florida has been good to me and I want to help out our schools if I can.. Thanks, Jim

2. Jun 29, 2011 at 5:55 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    It's better than most CD's or saving accounts right now.

3. Jun 29, 2011 at 6:00 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    ^^^^ Thanks that And our schools are hurting right now.

4. Jun 29, 2011 at 3:19 PM
    Fenrisulfr

Fenrisulfr Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW-VA
    Vehicle:
    Tundra w/ TRD 5,7L V8 4x4
    3,5% will not beat inflation (according to common sense, not the goosed CPI numbers) and a rise in interest rates will wreak havoc on the bonds. This also introduces counterparty risk as Florida's economy is somewhere between moribund and comatose, not to mention the fact that said bonds are denominated in US dollars, something many seem to overlook.

I would advise consulting PFS group. I have been in touch with Mr. Puplava for some time; my holdings have returned about 35%/yr compounded over the past five years and we are of like mind on just about everything.

Finally, you are already helping the schools through your tax dollars, but they do not have the manners to send a thank-you note.

5. Sep 12, 2011 at 9:42 PM
    boatswain

boatswain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    carl
    palmerton,PA.
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport access cab, magnetic grey metallic.
    hey jim! just saw your post on this site. I'm not an expert but the 3.5% school bonds you mentioned sound pretty good-for now! I believe all muni.bonds are fed. tax free. if bought in home state-triple tax free.(no fed,state or local). it depends on your tax bracket to figure real return. other option,that I like for income,are the utilities. I try to buy near their traditional lows,with a yeild of 5-6%. not getting rich, but have a really nice supplimental income. 35% avg. over last few years,this fund manager must be a genius. it can be done,but do your homework. now-if I'd only have bought ford at $1.00.darn!!!! and remember DON'T PUT ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET,no matter what. reminder-bernie madoff

Products Discussed in

To Top