1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

school me on heim steering.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by NightProwler, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Jan 6, 2015 at 11:56 AM
    NightProwler

NightProwler [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Ok so I've been slowly upgrading my truck and will be converting to a coilover setup with a proper lift versus the current spacer/block lift that has been installed since I bought my truck. The first thing I got was camburg uca's. Replaced a few other suspension parts such as ball joints and tie rods inner and outer. Will be getting the toytec ultimate kit with coilovers as well as upgrading the rear end too with shackles and new leafs eventually. But since I've had the truck, and installed the camburg uca's, it seems my alignment may be a hair off. probly nothing to worry about, but when I was getting it aligned they told me that it was pretty much maxed out and couldn't be adjusted anymore. My tires seem to be doing fine for now since I got all new. It drives straight and everything, just looking to upgrade and wondering if it'll be needed once I do get the coilovers that'll provide a little more height than what I currently have now. at least I hope. Not even sure what's on there, but I would guess 2.5" or 3". But since I'll be upgrading everything else I figured I'd better look into the steering upgrade. Unless I don't really need it. But it seems that the outer tie rods are pretty much maxed out as well. I don't think there's much threads left on there for adjustment and I would imagine that it's probly not a good thing not having a lot of threads. Have any of these ever broken on anyone where it threads in to the inner? Should I be worried? I only know this because when I replaced the rods myself and did a quick alignment by eye, that I hadn't threaded the outer tie rods on too much, before I drove it in for the proper alignment... Another thing to note is I don't do a whole lot of offroading, just trail runs and occasionally some that requires more demand from the suspension. Maybe do a little jumping once I get the proper mid travel setup I'm going for. Nothin crazy though...

So anyways, do the heim upgrades increase the length and should I replace? Obviously they increase strength but from what little I've researched, people say it's not worth it unless you're going LT.. Mostly because of the cost, and because of the noise they create? Because of the open joints? Or is there a greasable version?

Help a noob out here and school me on this:D

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  2. Jan 7, 2015 at 6:47 AM
    nswsparky

nswsparky Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    '03 TRD, SAS, ARB's F/R, Atlas 4 speed
    D44, SAS, 3 link coilovers, ARB's, Ford 8.8, Atlas 4 speed, cutting brakes.
    I don't know about you specific situation but I had open hiems on my Cherokee's steering. After about a year DD the hiems were a bit sloppy and after a little while longer they squeaked extremely loud whenever I would turn. But I did drive it in the winter so they got sand and salt in them. They had no boot on them and they have no grease reservoir or anything. I try to stay away from them now.

3. Jan 7, 2015 at 6:59 AM
    CanadaToy

CanadaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR Alpine
    TRD Pro grille & skid, OEM tonneau and roof racks
    I would only do Heim's on a racetruck. They are maintenance heavy.

4. Jan 7, 2015 at 7:05 AM
    teehext

teehext Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner SR5
    Kind of off topic but just for future reference, most coilovers max out around 3" of lift and that will be a relatively rough ride with minimal downtravel. So if you're looking purely for lift that could be something to think about, BUT running the co's at 2"-2.5" will ride like butter :thumbsup:

5. Jan 7, 2015 at 10:08 AM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Alright sounds like it's certainly not worth it on a DD.. (edit: also considering I live on a long dirt road)So has anyone had any toe problems with their mid travel setups? Are there some kind of extensions you can get for the tie rods? Or should it all be fine including the camber? Seems like things are already kinda maxed as they are so I'm wondering if I'm gonna run into any problems with the proper lift when I get it if I do end up having to lift it the full 3" on the coilovers. Won't know for sure till I get em. I'm running 33 12.5 15's and they are still rubbing. Or maybe I should consider something else for a better lift. Because I don't wanna deal with a rough ride again if that's what I'm gonna end up with. I just figured it'd be 10x better than this shitty spacer lift... Thanks for the replies guys:)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  6. Jan 7, 2015 at 10:28 AM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    And I would probly be fine if I had some glass up front, but really don't want them. Basically just trying to avoid any rubbing and still maintain the 3" lift. What do you guys suggest I look at for alternative lifts that would include coilovers?

7. Jan 7, 2015 at 1:21 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    What do you mean when you say the tie rods are maxed out? Like one side has a ton of threads and the other has none? The lca alignment cams can be maxed out and often are with a 3 inch lift.. But any skilled alignment guy can get it pretty much dead on with camburg uca's. But the tie rodsshould be just fine unless your steering rack is timed incorrectly. Unless you have a long travel truck and want more articulation or what not the stock tie rods should be just great, make sure you use oem lower ball joints and tie rods

8. Jan 7, 2015 at 2:19 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    They didn't say exactly what was maxed out. But I assume it was the cams. And I assumed on the tie rods because I aligned it by eye and tape measure and I hadn't threaded the rods on very much. But maybe they're fine. So I must be maxed out at 3" already. So that's settled. I got aftermarket lbj's to see how they do. Need to check them soon. And also aftermarket tie rods. Those seem to be doing fine. But I will be replacing them all anyways when I get the new lift just because. So only question now, is what lift to get. I'd like coilovers. But don't want a rough ride. So where should I start looking? Ome maybe? I'm not gonna be paying a grand for the race ones though I'll say that right meow.

Products Discussed in

To Top