1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scosche dash kit = cheap shit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Jimirich, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Jul 8, 2009 at 9:26 PM
    Jimirich

Jimirich [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Dbl cab shorty O.R. pkg
    DTRL, Debadged, Donkey tethered in the bed that rips 142 db farts so I can piss off the neighbors and rattle the windows on my house when I'm parked in front.
    Fianlly got my install all done and put a Kenwood Excelon x493 into a Scosche dash adapter.
    The Scosche rattles like crazy. What a cheap Piece o Crap!!
    I've heard that Metra is built a little more solidly.
    I'm gonna have to pull my stereo and mod the Scosche with hot glue, ensolite or whatever.
    How could anyone at Scosche see or use this finished product and think, "O.k., wow that's great. we'll make this version our finished product".
    I'm coming to believe that Scosche is the "Huffy" of the car audio world. Their spade connectors are just as worthless.
    I'll never buy another product of theirs' again.

2. Jul 8, 2009 at 9:31 PM
    Rangerpeterson

Rangerpeterson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    :worthless:
    Shitty luck though man

3. Jul 8, 2009 at 10:12 PM
    Jimirich

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    DTRL, Debadged, Donkey tethered in the bed that rips 142 db farts so I can piss off the neighbors and rattle the windows on my house when I'm parked in front.
    I refuse to post a picture of that POS

4. Jul 8, 2009 at 10:33 PM
    Reznor88

Reznor88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner DC Off Road
    Be glad you don't have a double din unit in that piece of crap. My DNX5120 would make that thing squeak and bounce all day long, drove me crazy. I got the Metra kit after dealing with that crap for a month, now....sweet silence. Using the metal stock brackets makes all the difference in the world.

5. Jul 9, 2009 at 12:54 AM
    johnecon2001

johnecon2001 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    Did you remember to pull the yellow clips off your stock radio and put them on the Scosche kit? Because it'll rattle your brains out if you don't.

6. Jul 9, 2009 at 2:29 AM
    Jimirich

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Ummmmmmmmmm:confused:
    Maybe not

7. Jul 9, 2009 at 4:52 AM
    ap53

ap53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    I just installed double din eclipse and my scosche is rock solid.

8. Jul 9, 2009 at 5:02 AM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    seems like a common mistake. I still have to remove mine and put them on. It made no mention on the install sheet, however I can't believe I missed it anyway.

I am not satisfied with the Scosche either. I have a single and the pocket under the radio is hardly painted at all. I think I'm going to cut a mouse pad and put it in there.

9. Jul 9, 2009 at 6:00 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I lined my storage cubby with a sheet of black peel and stick felt. Got it at Michaels craft store for $.99. It works and looks great.

Use a regular office file folder to make templates of each side, the back, and the bottom of the cubby. Transfer the templates to the felt, cut them out, peel off the backing and apply.

10. Jul 9, 2009 at 6:02 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    My Scosche single DIN is also rock solid, and the instruction sheet included with mine had the part about removing the clips from the stock radio and putting them on the dash kit.

11. Jul 9, 2009 at 6:53 AM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    I must have missed it :notsure:, mine is pretty solid without them (single din) but knowing they are not there makes it neccesary to install them.

12. Jul 9, 2009 at 8:53 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    My Scosche kit was fine until it was removed with a screw driver. Of course, my window was fine until that day too. :(

The Metra that is in it now seems a little sturdier, but both were acceptable.

13. Jul 9, 2009 at 2:31 PM
    johnecon2001

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Downey front skid, Trail Gear U-Bolt flip, Toytec AAL, Total Chaos UCA's, Bilstein 5100's x4 + Eibach adjustable coils, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Custom Rear bumper, TRD OffRoad front tow hook, TRD Trail Team wheels, Federal Couragia M/T 265's, ARB rear locker + on board air (CKMA12), TRD shift knob, Alpine W205, TRD seat covers, Tom Woods 1 Piece drive shaft, Powermaster D2700, Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders.
    I've taken out my Alpine W205 out of my dash too many times to count and the Scosche mount is still fine.

So that would make me the 2nd satisfied double din owner? If you install it correctly, you'll have no issues.

14. Jul 9, 2009 at 2:38 PM
    kasey200

kasey200 Well-Known Member

Member:
    south dakota
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Dboubl Cab Longbed
    3" toytec, 285 BFG AT's
    i have a schsche double din and it's slowly eroding. it's a POS and my head unit slides out about 1/4" every day. i have a metra on order. $20 on Amazon

15. Jul 9, 2009 at 2:47 PM
    Reznor88

Reznor88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner DC Off Road
    I'm more than happy with the Metra after switching. Only issue is that occasionally the bottom clips will pop out of the dash a little, just have to give it a whack and it pops back in. Any ideas how to keep this from happening?

16. Jul 9, 2009 at 2:51 PM
    trtripoli

trtripoli lower management

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 4,0 L, 6M, Dbl Cab, TRD Off Road
    Eclipse AVN6620 JL 500/1 amp JL 13TW5 sub JL 300/4 JL XR-650CSi Mr Marv Box Blu tooth XM radio Back Up camera, RAAMmat and Ensolite everywhere but ceiling
    My scosche broke when I installed mine, I agree it is a pos, but I don't want to drop another 35 bucks on a metra, so I just used some super glue to fix the problem

17. Jul 9, 2009 at 5:44 PM
    johnecon2001

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Its possible, I've been doing this for over 10 years.

18. Jul 10, 2009 at 7:59 AM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    my alpine w505 with schoshe is great

also had a single din before and it was fine and that one was with out the clips

19. Jul 10, 2009 at 8:17 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    I once had the scorche and I didnt like the look, color, or quality of it, I upgraded to a metra kit that cost me half the price and was textured and colored the same as the stock deck, Im very happy with it and will take some pics to show.

20. Jul 13, 2009 at 1:46 AM
    Jimirich

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Yup, I checked and they're in there.

Products Discussed in

To Top