1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scosche dash kit = cheap shit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Jimirich, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Jul 13, 2009 at 6:46 AM
    kasey200

kasey200 Well-Known Member

Member:
    south dakota
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Dboubl Cab Longbed
    3" toytec, 285 BFG AT's
    got my metra Friday and installed it this weekend. WAY better design! I go mine on Amazon for $19. Looks and matched OEM much better than Scosche.

2. Jul 13, 2009 at 7:37 AM
    Slypted

Slypted Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Smiitybuilt nerf bars, Hunter bull bar w/ KC hilights/ Toy-tec 3" spacer, AAL lift, LR UCAs, Helo he842 16x8 Wheels, BFG KM2 285x75x16
    Looks like I'll be getting a Metra when I upgrade my deck.

3. Jul 13, 2009 at 7:43 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    yeah even the little things about the metra are better such as the fact that the scorche doesnt come with clips you have to remove them from your old deck, where as the metra comes with its own

4. Jul 14, 2009 at 8:24 PM
    Jimirich

Jimirich [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Dbl cab shorty O.R. pkg
    DTRL, Debadged, Donkey tethered in the bed that rips 142 db farts so I can piss off the neighbors and rattle the windows on my house when I'm parked in front.
    I Think I'll be doing the same.

5. Jul 18, 2009 at 8:00 AM
    blacksandtaco

blacksandtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thought I would add my experience with each. Scosche has two different kits for Tacomas right now and I own them both. The 05+ model is a darker gray color and has a color matching trim piece. This trim piece can limit the tilt angles that your head unit provides so be careful. The 09+ model is a lighter silver that matches the molding on the AC vents much better. It has a black trim piece that is designed to allow head units their full tilting angles including negative angles to reduce glare. Both models use a plastic side bracket that make it very difficult to support the weight of a DDIN unit. Both also require that you use the mounting clips from the factory stereo. My personal opinion is that the 09+ model is a better color match for my 2007 Access Cab. Personally, I'm not a fan of the plastic side brackets. I have mine installed correctly (even used hook and loop fastener on the mounting clips to provide a tighter fit), but still can't keep it from rattling up and down on bigger bumps in the road. I also have the Metra kit and I'll say that the build quality is not any better. It does have a textured finish and is color matched almost identically to the factory head unit. It also has a black trim piece which I did not like at all. The metra does not however keep the three little billet design at the top like the factory and scosche. The cutout for the hazard button on the metra is also not very exact which will require you to do some trimming or the button will get stuck. I couldn't get the trim piece to sit in place with the head unit when I used the factory metal side brackets on the Metra and is ultimately why I decided to go with scosche. I may try to refit the metra one of these weekends because I can't stand to see my scosche kit and head unit move up and down when I roll over bumps. Although it hardly moves at all, the rattle noise and the simple fact that I know it moves is absolutely intolerable. I'm a perfectionist by nature and this little imperfection drives me absolutely insane. Can anyone tell me if they are using the metra, whether they were able to use the metal brackets and have the trim piece fit securely?

6. Jul 19, 2009 at 5:32 PM
    Jimirich

Jimirich [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Dbl cab shorty O.R. pkg
    DTRL, Debadged, Donkey tethered in the bed that rips 142 db farts so I can piss off the neighbors and rattle the windows on my house when I'm parked in front.
    Thanks BST that was good info.

7. Jul 19, 2009 at 7:18 PM
    blacksandtaco

Member:
    No problem Jimi. I have since tried the metra again and haven't noticed any rattles or bumps as of yet (installed it 3 hours ago). I have noticed that I'm not able to adjust the tilt angles as before with the scosche. WIth the metra I can only hit -1 and 0. My Kenwood DNX9140 has angles -1,0,1,2,3,4 and 5. So I'm currently not able to use 1 - 5 :(. I may try to sand or cut out part of the trim piece to see if that improves.

8. Jul 19, 2009 at 7:33 PM
    Reznor88

Reznor88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    '06 PreRunner DC Off Road
    Does anyone have a problem with the bottom clips of the Metra popping out from time to time? Maybe it's just me.

9. Jul 19, 2009 at 7:56 PM
    blacksandtaco

Member:
    Metal brackets should help, but you want to make sure that you either use the small OEM plastic clips or the gray ones that come with the metra dash kit. These are the small clips that fit around the four corner posts on the metra kit. Sorry I don't have pics to show.

10. Jul 19, 2009 at 8:00 PM
    Kenny650

Kenny650 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah screw the scosche dash kit, it rattles like crazy. I will be updating mine to Metra and see how that comes out...

11. Jul 19, 2009 at 8:05 PM
    Reznor88

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    I'm definetly using the metal brackets, makes all the difference in the world, and the thing still doesn't want to clip in half the time.

I'm using the clips from metra but it's like the bottom clips just don't want to clip in all the way. I can fix this by pulling the top ones out and hooking in the bottom first but then I have the same problem on the top.

Even with the problem I'm having I still prefer the Metra.

12. Jul 19, 2009 at 9:57 PM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    maybe your wires are bunched up in the back causing the deck to push on the bracket?

13. Jul 19, 2009 at 10:28 PM
    Reznor88

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    Genius! I never thought of that. Have to try it out when I have some free time. I'll post my results.

14. Jul 20, 2009 at 7:40 AM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    I dont understand why peoples kits would be rattling, mine never did that, did you put the clips on the bracket off of the stock deck?

15. Jul 20, 2009 at 12:40 PM
    TightShirts

TightShirts The StormTrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    TightShirts
    Phoenix... The Land of Lifted Trucks & Dirty Sluts
    Vehicle:
    08 Rugged Trail Ed
    Tint, Clear Bra, De-badged, In-Dash DVD, 09 Led Tail Lights, Chris4x4's old OME front shocks, 1.5" Deaver AAL with OME n182s, black billet in white sport grill, BHLM w/4500k HIDs + Fogs, bumper blackout
    i've installed over 100 scosche kits over a couple years and i currently have the double din in mine and i like it/have no problems... it's all personal preference, just like the kind of deck you have.

16. Jul 22, 2009 at 3:30 PM
    blacksandtaco

Member:
    I think it all has to do with the type or brand of head unit a person has and where the holes on the body of the head unit are located which determines where the metal brackets attach to the unit. This also determines how shallow or deep the head unit mounts into the dash. I have tried both scosche and metra kits with my Kenwood DNX9140 and have the same rattling problems with each. Have probably spent 3-4 hours fitting and refitting both kits and just can't seem to nail it down. Have even tried using paint stir sticks to fill in the gap between the underside of the head unit and the shelf of the side brackets for each kit. I think it's an issue of the head unit resting on the frame of the kit. I'd pay a lot of money to the person that is able to come up with a fix for rattle free set up :)

17. Jul 22, 2009 at 3:40 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    I installed the scosche double din with my pioneer - it was solid. At least until i jumped my truck (see sig) When i jumped, the plastic trim popped out, and the screws holding the pioneer to the pl;astic side brackets popped off (somehow??). When i got home from my trip, i took it all apart, put new screws in, put it all back together, and it is now solid again. No rattles, and my head unit has no play.

18. Jul 22, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    blacksandtaco

Member:
    A+ to Squirrel! My problem was not just that the head unit was pushing on the surround of the kit, it was in fact mounted so that the surround of the kit was propping it up and every time I hit a significant bump the unit would bounce up and down on the surround of the kit. Pushing up from the bottom of the head unit while securing the 4 bolts to the body seems to have fixed the problem. Only thing now is my Kenwood won't eject. The face keeps getting caught on the trim bezel. I can fix that with a little sand paper and elbow grease though! Thanks for pointing out the obvious. Not sure how I overlooked that to begin with.

19. Jan 26, 2010 at 1:13 PM
    bookmonke

bookmonke Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC PreRunner Rugged Trail
    I know this is an old thread, and yes the mounts for the Scosche kit sucked bad, I have never seen so much play and wiggle, but I was able to use the factory mounts from the unit and then just the Scosche outer piece, I mounted my F90BT, here are some pics.

P1220014.jpg
    P1220017.jpg
    P1230020.jpg

20. Jan 26, 2010 at 2:47 PM
    IrishPilot

IrishPilot Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off-Road 4x4 Double Cab
    Ive only had mine installed for a few days now (scosche), but so far so good. I hope it works out, as personally I think the Metra (which Ive got on the shelf currently) looks crummy.

Products Discussed in

To Top