1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scosche Double Din = Waste of time!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Agent7, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Oct 21, 2009 at 5:44 PM
    Agent7

Agent7 [OP] Senior Executive of Nothing.

Member:
    Toronto, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 6spd
    BHLM, Stubby Antenna, Custom Front Grill, Debaged Tailgate, Added TRD Emblem, Removed Factory Pinstripes, Leer 100XL Cap, Prolumen 6000K HID Kit with custom glare shields, Eurolite Yellow fog lights, 20" Fast Hustler wheels (black w/3" deepdish polished lip), Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/60/20's, Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers, Custom LED Gauges, Pioneer AVIC F700BT All-In-One Indash Navigation (Hacked)
    First thing what bothers me most about the whole ordeal is that I gave my local shop the business despite paying WAAYYY above online pricing, due to the fact that I would have somewhere local to deal with if something was the problem. Well it looks like that may be the case... the scosche double din kit is probably the biggest peice of shit you could imagine! I'm really not one for posting up these kinds of threads but this is just rediculous! First off I pull the peices out of the package, and realize that theres no mounting clips on the back of the main body! Wtf... so seeing how I don't have a factory radio to use the clips from, I'm supposed to buy new ones from the factory?!?... (no f'n way!). Next I pull out the mounting brackets which are flimsy plastic that is barely enough to support the weight of the double din. The shit part is you can't use the factory metal supports (at least not on the pioneers) because it pushes the deck too far out for the scosche to fit properly. Okay so now I'm stuck using the flimsy platic crap, when I realise the mounting slots don't line up to the screw holes on the side of the deck! Fuck me... are you kidding! So I loosely place the deck in place with a couple screws just to see if this is all going to be worth my time, and put the main body upto the dash and realize there's a flattened out section right in the middle on the lip directly in front of the deck itself (basically a depression blemish). Not to mention that it doesn't even fit around the deck tightly (there's about a 1/8" gap all around it!).

The funny thing is, I had the metra installed and it fit like a glove, I just wasn't happy with the textured look it had. I tried to paint the metra but it didn't come out the way I was hoping, and now I may have to live with it for a little until I can figure out the bullshit with the scosche.

The worst part is, it was technically a special order item, even though it only took a day to come in... so I hope these local guys are stand up guys and at the very least give me credit to a different kit (black metra). I guess I'll find out tommorow...

Basically this is my review of this kit for an 05+... so if you have a pioneer double din and are thinking of a scosche kit, run the other way to a metra dealer asap! I feel like smashing stuff... :mad:

2. Oct 21, 2009 at 6:13 PM
    gcwaterski

gcwaterski Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ha ha I feel your pain bro!

3. Oct 21, 2009 at 6:16 PM
    DdayIsNear

DdayIsNear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crazy
    NW Jersey
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    All pro sliders
  4. Oct 21, 2009 at 6:28 PM
    Rippin101

Rippin101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Jax Beach, FL
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport 4x4
    -Nitto G2 265/70/17 -Level 8 MK6 Wheels -Katzkin Leather Black on Black -BHLM -Weathertech -Extang Solid Fold -Bedlight LEDs -TRD Skid
    I got the same thing and thought how bad it was when I first opened it, but after messing with it for a few hours, it fit like a glove and I freakin love it. Looks stock :D

5. Oct 21, 2009 at 6:41 PM
    mit88

mit88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Planet earth
    I just bought one and they sent me one with a flimsy trim ring that they claim "new version", tried to fit to the AVN5500, YES, there is 1/8" of gap top & bottom.
    I called Scosche and all they said is "sorry, that's all we can do"
    I agree with all you said there Agent7.
    I will have to see how the Metra kit works, it's on the way.

6. Oct 21, 2009 at 8:04 PM
    Agent7

Member:
    Toronto, Canada
    Vehicle:
    BHLM, Stubby Antenna, Custom Front Grill, Debaged Tailgate, Added TRD Emblem, Removed Factory Pinstripes, Leer 100XL Cap, Prolumen 6000K HID Kit with custom glare shields, Eurolite Yellow fog lights, 20" Fast Hustler wheels (black w/3" deepdish polished lip), Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/60/20's, Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers, Custom LED Gauges, Pioneer AVIC F700BT All-In-One Indash Navigation (Hacked)
    Yeah the Metra is a great fit like I said before so you won't have a problem there... it's just that the finish really doesn't match anything in the dash.

7. Oct 21, 2009 at 9:28 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    Metra > Scosche in the double-din area. I had the same problem with the Scosche kit being flimsy and not able to support the double-din HU. I loved the fact that the Metra kit uses the factory metal brackets since I do jumps and shit in my truck.

2nd screen name likes this.
  8. Oct 22, 2009 at 6:44 AM
    06dak

06dak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Undercover hard tonneau, Husky front liners
    You got pics of yours?

I have the problem with double din radio being way too far out of the dash for the kit I have (can't remember the name, got it from Crutchfield). It seems like the HU and OEM brackets don't mix. I've been meaning to fix it by drilling new holes in the OEM brackets, but if there's something else out there that's easy I'd rather do that!

9. Oct 22, 2009 at 8:31 AM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    ill have to take new pics. i got a different HU.

10. Oct 22, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    testedone

testedone Speak English..it's America

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Weathertec Mats, Pioneer AVIC-X930BT, Pioneer GEX-P920XM (SAT), Pioneer Premier TS-D602P 6.2, Blaupunkt THb 200A Sub, Trimmed Mud Flaps, BF Goodrich AT/KO 285/70/17 ... Toytec Ultimate Lift, Tuffy Bed Box, A.R.E. Cover, Pop-n-Lock, TRD Exhaust
    yeah I went with the Metra based on peoples views here...fit great..it's still plastic but hey it works and I have had it pulled in and out at least 12 times in the past month to change something or the other with my wiring (not problems)

11. Oct 22, 2009 at 8:51 AM
    mit88

mit88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Planet earth
    Yeah, show some pix Viet.

12. Oct 22, 2009 at 8:54 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    agreed, the scoche is a POS. I installed a Metra for a friend last saturday, it is made much better and more sturdy. I may buy the metra to replace my scoche

13. Oct 22, 2009 at 8:58 AM
    kasey200

kasey200 Well-Known Member

Member:
    south dakota
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Dboubl Cab Longbed
    3" toytec, 285 BFG AT's
    I had a schoche and i ripped it out and threw it in the trash. i now have the metra

14. Oct 22, 2009 at 7:06 PM
    Agent7

Member:
    Toronto, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Scoshe can lick my left testical... I re-ordered a new Metra!

15. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:24 PM
    cntmdc

cntmdc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pablo
    Delray Beach,Fl
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 "Super White"
    Undercover Toneau cover, Billet Grill, bug deflector,Fog light Mod,Nerf bars,17" TRD Sport wheels, stainless mirror covers,LED Guage cluster "Blue",SS Front Skid Plate,Custom "SOCKMONKEY" SR5 Decals, OEM TRD SS exhaust tip,shorty antenna,Clarion DVD Head unit,Bilstein 5100's Front shocks,Toytec 2"AAL,Custom Racing Stripe hood,roof & tail gate
    Well I have a Clarion double din unit and payed a shop to instal the radio and 2years later the radio shifted on me because the braket clips warped. So I purchased a Metra thinking that it was stronger and they needed the factory brackets to install it so I went to the local dealer and special ordered 2 factory brackets for $25 and fucking thing would sit too far back and the face plate wouldn't line up with it. So I went and installed the old POS Schoshe and it still pops out. I have no other choice but try and find another Schosche and start all over. Any suggestions?

16. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:39 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    mine broke and my brand new radio went falling into the dash 4 weeks after the initial instal lol! the factory radio uses metal brackets while the dd kits all use plastic tabs for some bull shit reason. i hate it and wish they would come out with a solid one oh and btw i had sprayed mine in bed liner and used a ton of epoxy so it's actually pretty old right now its been almost a year and no problems yet.

but i had to reinforce it with fucking epoxy just to hold the radio in place that kills me every time lulz. so far it functions properly since the liquid weld job i did on it and it looks and fits nicely as well so i guess i lucked out on this one :rolleyes:

edit: btw all the dd dash kits are like this to my knowledge all use plastic tabs rather than retain the metal oem brackets. i actually looked and called around in case i had a problem in the future. if any of you have found anything please let me know :)

73607_170249363001567_100000495141273_523428_2525034_n.jpg
    68751_170249143001589_100000495141273_523426_3498187_n.jpg

17. Dec 15, 2011 at 9:54 PM
    differential

differential Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    Black Pre Runner
    I have a theory (and it's just my own hypothesis) that aftermarket audio manufacturers actually build their equipment to be easily stolen. From the days of pull out cassette decks, to detachable face plates, and the eclipse "coded" units, they're all just so easy to steal. With today's technology, it seems that they could do a better job of making these things more solidly built/theft deterrent.

I also have a theory that many of the guys that work in the mom and pop audio stores keep the addresses to steal stuff later.

I've had systems in my vehicles before, and it seemed like as soon as I would get it installed, my car would get burglarized.

Maybe I've just had bad luck, but now I only provide my work address to any shop or person that works on my car, and I don't have any components of my audio system visible. Everything looks factory.

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Oh, and I especially love it when I see someone driving down the road with flashy wheels, and a sticker as big as their back window with an "Audiobahn" logo, or whatever brand head unit they have. Might as well have wrapped their car with "steal my stuff" written across the side.

18. Dec 15, 2011 at 11:20 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    My scosche double din and Pioneer touch screen fit great. I've run my truck hard for 3 years with it, no problems.

Just FYI.

Sorry about your troubles.

19. Dec 15, 2011 at 11:41 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    imo if someone wants your radio they are going to get it. i don't need the dash kit to provide security from thieves i just need it to securely hold the radio in place and not rattle or break apart and have my new hu go sinking back into my dash lol.

epoxy man it works wonders i used like 5 tubes on mine you would need a hack saw and a bamfh to break mine now :)

20. Dec 15, 2011 at 11:55 PM
    dayNnite4

dayNnite4 We can't stop here, this is bat country.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x4 5-speed AC
    i hear u man. thankfully my sony let me use the oem metal mounts but with enough fiddling with the screws that attach the mount to the dash, i got it to line up almost perfectly

Products Discussed in

To Top