1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scratch - Tacoma/Rav

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Desjardo, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Apr 16, 2020 at 4:43 AM
    Desjardo

Desjardo [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Sport
    Hey everyone.
    Started cleaning and preparing vehicles for a buff this weekend.
    To my dismay I found a few scratches I'm unsure how to repair.

The Tacoma is Barcelona Red.
    I have several deep scratches that didn't come out with Scratch X.
    Worked great on real minor stuff but I think it's mostly useless.

The ones I can get rid of appear white in the scratch and one is black.

I have attached the worst example which comes off my wife's best to new Rav.
    I'm not pleased lol

Can anyone help me fix this?
    IMG_20200415_141819.jpg

2. Apr 16, 2020 at 6:33 AM
    gorram

gorram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Limited
    Can you catch the scratch with a fingernail? Usually that means you can't remove it but you can improve it. Keep in mind every scratch is different and one of the issues with going too aggressive trying to remove it means you are removing A LOT of perfectly good clear all around the area the scratch is in. So you'll really have to baby that spot going forward as the newer the car is the less clear is getting sprayed on it. Also if the vehicle lives outside the sun is taking a bit of clear off the panel year after year, obviously more of an issue in FL or AZ etc. A paint depth gauge is probably a good tool to have too, they are about $80-120 on Amazon. Note that these cheaper ones can only tell you how much material is above steel or aluminum so you need to take some base readings from inside the door jams as it usually has the thinnest covering of clear coat on the vehicle. Keep in mind that the bottom of the clear coat has the UV protection so even if there is a tiny bit of clear left doesn't mean it won't start to fade soon.

Here is a great video showing a scratch removal with wet sanding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3x7fnkcN1M
    This is also a great channel to do some research before you touch either vehicle even if it's just for the polishing advise. Don't worry too much as he likes to show a lot of products, however on his newer videos you will see he's a big fan of 3D One which I believe you're already settled on.

Also check out these videos for some wet sanding tips, not saying you need to buy those blocks but as you can see they will help you take away less clear from the adjacent areas.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=kxk+rid+stix+

3. Jul 12, 2020 at 1:01 AM
    bautistasamuel

bautistasamuel Member

Member:
    As a car owner, experiencing scratches on car is very common. I am also that person who already experienced deep and light scratches. It is not an easy task to fix the deep scratches. When I was in a problem with deep scratch, I-
    • cleaned the surrounding area
    • used a scratch repair kit
    • applied rubbing compound and
    • covered it with touch up paint
    In this way, I got a good result against deep scratch. But when I face light scratches, I use a scratch remover. Currently, I have Carfidant Scratch and Swirl remover. It works good for me.

Products Discussed in

To Top