1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Scratch x 2.0 question

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Ombligo, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Oct 24, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    Ombligo

Ombligo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I recently noticed some scratches on my hood. The truck is black and the scratches seem white. When I run my fingernail over them, my nail doesn't catch. So I purchaesd some scratch x 2.0 but now I'm worried about creating haze. Anybody have experience with this product? Any tips regarding use would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Oct 24, 2010 at 3:31 PM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    your clearcoat is scratched, the scratchx should work great. i've used it on my silver truck, haven't had any haze issues. i used a power buffer with the scratchx and it did what it was supposed to do.

3. Oct 24, 2010 at 6:20 PM
    Ombligo

Member:
    Thanks for the replys guys. The link was actually very helpful. Also, I read that if haze does appear, usually some coats of waxing eliminates them. I was just afraid to make a minor problem into a big one. I love this forum. Even though there's always the unecessary comments, most members are actually helpful. Again thanks

4. Oct 24, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    Ombligo

Member:
    Thanks again. I'll keep you guys posted as soon as I do it. First gotta wash it really good and being so busy, probably won't happen till next weekend. I'll try to include
    Pictures as well, before and after

5. Oct 25, 2010 at 6:44 AM
    lasllc

lasllc Wait. . what’s wrong here

Member:
    Southwest RedRocks
    Vehicle:
    13 SuperWhite DCSB Sport TRD
    SnugTop Super Sport, BedRug mat, Redline Tuning hood lifts, LED interior lights, 3D carpet protectors.
    Take your time when doing this. Speed is not you friend in this type of work. Neither is heat or pressure.

If you have never used a buffer then dont use one on this job; it is probable pretty small anyway. It is always good to do paint rubouts by hand first so that you get a good feel for what has to happen before you move on to buffer work

it is very easy to burn the paint with a buffer, especially if you use the wrong machine.

6. Oct 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    Do you plan on going at it by hand, or with a polisher? Polisher of course, being faster, but could be troublesome if you've got little experience polishing. A random-orbit polisher would be ideal in this scenario.

Either way, if you can't catch the scratch with your nail, you're in good shape. If the scratchX product you're using leaves swirls, or hazing, you'll need a finer compound polish to remove those swirls/hazing. Meguiars has a decent polishing system available at Autozone, etc... It's numbered (#1-#3) and if you buy the two final stages (#2 and #3 I believe) you'll be able to polish out any haze left over from the scrathX, and then shine it all up nicely with the final step.

7. Oct 25, 2010 at 4:29 PM
    Ombligo

Member:
    I was actually looking into buying a polisher, but have zero experience. So, because of the warnings I'll go at it with muscle. Thanks for the heads up on what to do if I haze up the paint. It's really not that bad, but it's one of those things that I know where it is and drives me crazy!

Products Discussed in

To Top