1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SDI E-Click suspension

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by point45, May 5, 2023.

1. May 5, 2023 at 12:28 PM
    point45

point45 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal, OC
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB TRD offroad
    Its been a few weeks with this on my truck so heres my initial impression of them.

There was a few reasons I was willing to drop the money on a seemingly newcomer to the truck suspension market.

1. The company is well known in the SXS and UTV market
    2. The company is within driving distance of me, so any issues and I can go deal with them directly.
    3. Stand alone shock management, I do not need to pair a phone or tablet with these. The control for the shocks is very nice on a touch screen LCD that is out of the way and easy to use/see.

This setup replaced my Icon stage 4 (700in/lb) with deaver stage 1 leafs. Im on a DCSB with full RCI aluminum armor, hybrid front bumper/winch and an RCI roof rack, dual battery setup.

These came with the 650in/lb springs and I think I could have done with the 700 on these as well. Will probably swap out the springs soon.

Off road so far this feels like it will do about 80% of what the icons did in higher speed driving, the icons soak up the harder hits better. But these are softer when going under 20mph.

For continuous high speed driving off road these things are great. They keep the truck feeling planted and under control. Keeps the truck feeling level and never do you feel like its getting away from you.

Low speed/around town this suspension does great, compliant most of the time and firms up as I go faster or when I turn/brake. But not quite as soft feeling as my friends running Fox or Kings setups. But also less body roll and dive than those running the softer suspension.

I have not played with the payload settings yet but if it works as well as the anti dive and roll settings then it will be great.

The pro settings are nice, you can really feel the difference as you adjust the settings but I wish the adjustment range was a bit larger. For example, if I setup the on road driving to the softest setting for comfort it will not firm up as much as I would like when taking turns or braking even with the sensitivity to those inputs cranked all the way up. For 90% of the drivers out there this is not an issue, the truck still feels planted and it feels like it has the roll bar back in. I just prefer a feel when turning or braking.

Now the individual pro tuning settings seem to be across the board for the 3 driving modes. The modes do change how it handles but if you prefer one setting to be the extreme opposite of the others you will need to adjust that every time.

Overall I like it, now im weird and I liked how the Icon shocks felt all around so were I to do this again I may not spend the $5k to replace them, I dont think these are a $5k upgrade vs the Icons. But if I were upgrading from stock I would not hesitate to choose these over the Icon setup.

These are better overall just dont know if it was $5k better, I dont regret the purchase at all but there may be better ways to spend the money if you already have good suspension and want things like lockers or a regear.

What these shocks do shine at is their usable range and active adjustment according to driving conditions. For people that use their truck daily and overland/haul stuff, these are perfect. You can have a great on road suspension that will also handle light to moderate off road conditions and can compensate for how much gear youre hauling.

The install went mostly smoothly but the instructions were not 100% clear and you need to use your best judgement when routing the wiring for the shocks. Make sure they are secured and wont get pinched during use.

The touch screen was upside down in the mount and the screw on connector for the harness was clocked wrong. Easy fixes but just a little annoying.

My 05 does not have a ground lug on the firewall to secure the IMU to as in the instructions so I drilled a hole according to an install video I found online (this was not in the instructions that came with the kit) except I drilled it a half inch lower than they suggest. The location they suggested seemed too close to the hood. Its a tight spot to drill a hole, you will need to start with a smaller drill and use a punch to get this started.

The electrical was straight forward and I already have an AUX fuse box so I used that for most of it. The pre made harness is great and will give you enough for an easy install without leaving a huge length of extra wire you need to secure.

The ECU I secured to the suggested fuse box location but there is maybe an extra 12-15 inches of wire you can pull to maybe find a different spot if you wanted.

20230422_115424.jpg 20230422_115412.jpg 20230422_115442.jpg 20230422_115447.jpg 20230412_164949.jpg 20230412_164915.jpg 20230505_113754.jpg 20230505_113812.jpg

Last edited: May 5, 2023
    lamjam and SUMOTNK like this.
  2. Aug 11, 2023 at 9:00 AM
    Silverlogic

Silverlogic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Diego, California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver DCSB TRDOR
    Any reason you didn't just add the universal resi replacements?

3. Aug 11, 2023 at 11:50 AM
    point45

Member:
    SoCal, OC
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB TRD offroad
    I wanted to make sure I take full advantage of the setup and a system thats been designed as a package usually works better than one thats been pieced together.

Also at the time my understanding was that there were some features not available in the universal kit that are on the vehicle specific ones such as responding to the throttle steering and brake inputs.

I never adjust the settings anymore beyond switching between the various modes which I think is a pretty good indicator that its well designed.

4. Mar 18, 2024 at 9:49 PM
    Shaggs

Shaggs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 DoubleCab Long Bed 4x4 TRD Magnetic Gray
    I really want to get a set of these on my Taco. So much easier than getting out with spanners for BP51. May just bite the bullet on a set of these. Is there a Towing mode too?

5. Mar 19, 2024 at 1:59 PM
    point45

Member:
    SoCal, OC
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB TRD offroad
    Not towing specifically but there are settings for carrying a load.

Also just found out that you can not run this system while running an OBD reader. Since the Eclick requests the same data as an OBD scanner they conflict.

6. Mar 25, 2024 at 7:14 PM
    Shaggs

Shaggs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2012 DoubleCab Long Bed 4x4 TRD Magnetic Gray
    That’s a No-Go for me as I have a Scangauge to watch my trans temps while towing as I am nearing maximum tow capacity with my Centurion Wakesurf Boat

7. Apr 15, 2024 at 3:44 PM
    fake4x4

fake4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles, California
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Tacoma TRD Off-Road DCSB
    Cool stuff
    This reminds me of when TEIN came out with the EDFC

Shaggs likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top