1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Secondary air injection system P2440 and P2442

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Saseun99, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Feb 18, 2019 at 10:35 AM
    Lette

Lette Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tacoma DBL Cab TRD V6
    None

Hi Taco09

You are correct. I am just reading the codes and have not seen the light come on! I do have one new code (P2445) as apposed to P0418. I was afraid to drive it for fear of damaging something else. This is GREAT!!! Will have my son drive it around more and monitor....Thank you so much!!! Hopefully, we are done with this mess and thats all there is to it....

2. Feb 18, 2019 at 4:53 PM
    Taco'09

Taco'09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    @Lette
    The drive cycle can take quite a bit of time depending on how much you drive. Seems like it took about a week to to finally clear on my '14.

I do remember a couple of other codes suddenly appearing that seemed unrelated but in your case the code relates to the air pump. The pump has a history of falling part especially the plastic impeller breaking and foam disintegration. But this would seem a bit rare on a '14 because it has not aged very much. Did you take the pump apart at all?

Make sure you check the electrical connections and the hose connections from the pump to air valves. The other thing is did you replace the pump? What else if anything was replaced?

You should be able to hear the pump running on occasion. If not the pump itself might be bad. I don't have any diagnostics for the pump but there are some for the 4 cyl. version used on the 2.7 engine. I'll check the FSM and see what it says.

3. Feb 27, 2019 at 8:01 AM
    RunningFisher

RunningFisher Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Asheville, NC
    Vehicle:
    2102 Tacoma Double SR5
    Does anyone have the plug and play Hewitt bypass they are willing to sell? Since everyone is getting Toyota to fix, I didn't know who might have one unused.

I have finally gotten the dreaded p2442 code. I brought my Taco back to life after an accident, and now it has a rebuilt title..... and because of this, toyota is refusing to honor the "Warranty Extension" due to title history. They claim they will honor recalls, but not warranties. So I am on the fence about replacing parts out of pocket, or using the plug and play bypass.

If anyone has a suggestion on talking to a dealer, to get them to honor this would be greatly appreciated. I had called the national number, who are the ones that said they wont honor the warranty extension due to the title.

Thanks guys.

4. Mar 7, 2019 at 6:49 AM
    Woundedyak

Woundedyak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indy
    Just got the dreaded code on my 14. Has anyone between 13-15 75k miles have this covered by Toyota?

5. Mar 21, 2019 at 4:21 PM
    Boulder Taco

Boulder Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD OR
    3" ToyTec Lift D.C. 285/75/16's ProComp ES9000 Shocks Avid Light Bar / Sliders Hella Black Magic Fog Lights Black Badges + Black Grille ARE Topper Sockmonkey TRD Decal Bulletproof Fab. TRD Skid Plate Blacked Out Rear Bumper
    Anyone know if Toyota will honor the recall after I had my first set of components installed? I'm just preparing for when it happens again. I had my system replaced a few years ago.

6. May 2, 2019 at 5:07 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    hey everyone, ...add me to the group!!!
    :annoyed:

...well, i experienced this debilitating defect/issue last week, ...CEL light + TRAC OFF light + "limp".., engine code was P2442...

...then, this past Sunday, i drove it and there were no lights, ..and performance seemed back to normal, ..thought well, maybe it was a fluke, ..and engine restart might remedy the fault.. ...but, then driving to work Monday, it was back, ..and stayed...
    :sadviolin:

..so, here's what I did, which i think may be the best approach:
    :hattip:

1. First and foremost, I called the Toyota Cust Exp Center number that was provided on the letter (Cust Support Program Notification - ZHA). Notified them that I believed I had the issue that is covered under the warranty program. This got things started w/ Toyota at the corp level, and they issued me a case #. Then, the support person contacted one of my local dealerships (of my choice) while i was put on hold, ..apparently during this period they informed the service manager at the dealership about my case, ..and I think this was pretty important to have this handoff this way.. Then, the support person patched me in to talk to the service manager to make an appointment to bring it in for repair...

2. In talking to the service manager for the appointment, I maintained an urgency about getting a loaner vehicle for the period of time it would be at the dealership... Note that despite the ZHA letter saying the labor is less than an hour, they won't have the parts in stock, so your truck will be stuck there waiting on the parts... The service manager agreed to arrange for me to have a loaner vehicle..

3. Dropped off the truck in the morning, ...told the service writer the symptoms, code, and presented the ZHA letter... signed the work order, which showed $0.00 cost to me, and went to another room the sign for a courtesy vehicle, ..again $0.00...

4. All told they had the truck for about 2 full days, ..but thankfully, w/ the ZHA warranty coverage and getting a loaner vehicle, ..it went pretty smoothly!

...here are the parts they replaced, according to the invoice:

25710-31022 Valve Assy Air SW
    17613-0P010 Cover Air Pump
    17610-0W020 Pump Assy Air
    17376-50010 Gasket Air Tube
    17377-31010 Gasket Air Tube N

...anyway, this was a debilitating flaw/issue, ..as your truck will not accelerate to get out of its own way, ...and trying to get onto the interstate if the on-ramp is a hill, or a downshift is needed, ...is rather dangerous...

..hopefully, if you follow my footsteps above, you'll get treated right in getting it fixed!

..and hopefully, this problem never comes up again!!!!
    :cheers:

jkuniverse, scocar and Avery like this.
  7. May 7, 2019 at 9:52 PM
    dfulks

dfulks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off Road DCSB
    I got the dreaded codes (p2442, p2440), called my local dealer and they said that they needed to be verified by paying minimum of 3 hours labor.

I then called Toyota Customer Experience, got a case and had them contact my dealer. Got an appointment, limped my truck the 11 miles to the dealer. Signed the work order with zero dollars due at 1100, they said they would call me by 1330 at the latest with an update. Left to finish my shift with my partner in the work car. I called them at 1500 to inquire what was going on and they were getting it approved by the warranty administrator, would call back in "30 minutes max." I called back at 1600 because they hadn't let me know anything more. They said i could pick the car up and drive it or leave it there and it should be ready by Friday. I inquired about a dealer loaner and they said they don't do that because of irresponsible drivers.

Had their shuttle driver pick me up from my office, had some dude that only knew how to press the foot pedals with all his force. Picked up my Tacoma and the service manager stated they would call me the following day with more information as to when the parts would be in.

I limped my truck home again. Now I get to deal with this dealer one more time before it actually gets fixed.

8. May 16, 2019 at 5:06 AM
    scubatl

scubatl Member

Member:
    nashville
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD sport
    2 days ago I got a CEL and trac off on startup. truck went into limp mode. Took to autozone and got the p2442 only code. limped it to a local dealership with letter from toyota in hand. The letter was the updated one that shows unlimited miles . My truck just hit 150,203 . They denied the warranty work stating it was over the mileage and I would have to pay $1900 to get it fixed. After stating the letter again stating unlimited miles they would not budge cause their system stated 150k miles. no grace for 200 miles over. I called toyota customer care and they even stated 150k. I had to email a copy of my letter to them. Then they magically found the "updated " letter. They then called the delaership and said they had to cover it under warranty. Bright side was it was fixed same day which was a surprise. I also noticed the new air pump has a different cover over it which look like it makes the intake redirect it from the bottom????anyone know if the cover is there new fix?

9. May 16, 2019 at 9:13 AM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
  10. Jul 4, 2019 at 7:21 AM
    mbrown1782

mbrown1782 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    I saw somewhere in this thread that the secondary air injection system (throwing the dreaded P2445 code) is only used during cold startups (the computer doesn't use it at all once the engine is warm) - if this is true, and the dealer wont replace it for me - is there any damaged to the engine being caused if I just reset the code after the engine warms up?

11. Jul 4, 2019 at 8:24 AM
    mbrown1782

mbrown1782 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
  12. Jul 4, 2019 at 3:14 PM
    308savage

308savage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    Leveling kit, roll bar
    It comes back, again and again and again...

13. Jul 4, 2019 at 4:55 PM
    mbrown1782

mbrown1782 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Thanks 308savage! The annoyance factor is HUGE but I think I could put up with just clearring the code every morning before work and every evening after work instead of shelling out 2k+ to get it "fixed" by toyota

14. Jul 4, 2019 at 6:50 PM
    308savage

308savage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    East Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    Leveling kit, roll bar
    It should be free by Toyota. I tried clearing mine like that, worked for a short while but the last few times I couldn’t drive more than a mile and back into limp mode.

15. Jul 5, 2019 at 6:02 AM
    mbrown1782

mbrown1782 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    I'm hopeful that toyota will cover it - I sent the trucks VIN# to Customer Service to make sure it was covered under the unlimited miles extended warranty they put out (135,xxx miles on the truck)

16. Jul 5, 2019 at 6:42 AM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Everyone in here having issues should get an HPTuners MPVI2 and delete the SAI system. Costs about 550 for everything you need and youll never have to worry about it again

DriverSound likes this.
  17. Jul 5, 2019 at 6:53 AM
    Avery

Avery 2012 XSP-X Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Avery
    Brandon, MS
    Vehicle:
    2012 XSPX Tacoma
    Is there a write up for this yet or is it just buried somewhere in the thread?

BassAckwards[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Jul 5, 2019 at 6:53 AM
    jkuniverse

jkuniverse Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Arlington TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Limited DCSB 4x4 Super White
    How difficult is it to delete the SAI system with HPTuners? Do you need a laptop and what else is involved?

19. Jul 5, 2019 at 7:06 AM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Buried in there as it is technically only legal for off road use

You need a PC/laptop, blockoff plates for your exhaust manifolds, and a good internet connection. There are plenty of folks in the HPTuners thread on here that will help you. I recommend downloading Teamviewer - this allows you to screen share with someone and they can jump on your computer remotely and help you get set up in the HP software to get rid of the system and the associated check engine lights

jkuniverse[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Jul 5, 2019 at 7:09 AM
    dirty deeds

dirty deeds Big Blue Nation!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Eastern KY
    Vehicle:
    '14 Wht AC SR, 2.7, MT, Baja wheels
    PlastiDip front emblem, twine, and Scotch tape
    I got a P2441 code 2 weeks ago. 76k miles on the truck. This was after install of the LCE header for the 2TR. Check vac lines for leaks and verified all electrical connectors, all good to go. Went to VatoZone and they cleared the code for me, hasn't been back since, :fingerscrossed: for never again. I've got their paperwork with all the parts and fixes for the issue should it come back. They didn't show any available parts in their system, however.

I'd say I've put half my mileage on since I did the UNI filter swap and pulled the foam out of the impeller. Nothing done to my intake save removal of that silly pre-filter. Best I can figure, the ECU didn't like exhaling better, and the battery disconnected for so long during header install. Just yesterday, had it disconnected when I was going to weld my cam tabs, didn't weld (cam bolt adjustment just to get the tabs back to 90° took all damn day).

Just wanted to chime in and add my scenario and P-code number to the brew.

EDIT: If anyone knows a delete procedure and material list for the 2TR, all ears folks.

To Top