1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Secondary Air Intake Valve Stuck: OPEN

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by broodtaco, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Oct 29, 2013 at 4:40 AM
    broodtaco

broodtaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    07 Toyota Taco Regular Cab
    31X9.5R15 Goodyear Wranglers. 15inch MB Motoring Wheels.
    I have this code on my trucks and I can't seem to pinpoint what the problem is.... The guy at the Toyota dealer said its because I was "Mudding". That might be rightfully so but, I'm not gonna let you stick it to me because I was having a little fun. He wouldn't tell me where it was located what it did, or how to even remotely fix it. So far... I have located the Secondary Air Pump. Which is the little black circular box type thing located behind the passenger headlight. But, there is a hose that runs to where the manifold heat shield is to a what is called "Air control valve". I have read everywhere on how to fix this and apparently its really common in Tundras but, that's ok because Toyota fixes Tundras problem under a 150,000 mile 10 year factory warranty. I seen on here a while back a fellow had a inquiry about it and had pictures and everything. Only thing was the post was deleted and the links for the urls didn't work when I had first found it. Can anyone help me please? Advice? Ideas?

2. Nov 4, 2013 at 6:20 AM
    broodtaco

broodtaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    Well... I took apart the Air Switching Valve. Tried to get it inspected and this is what I found....
    1zefm6v_3cd412a604965037b2eee35037b80b4c76325d6f.jpg
    I cleaned it and re-drilled and tapped the screw that I broke off... THESE are the most flimsy screws I've ever seen in my life. Took it to a vehicle inspection place and guess what? My Air Switching Valve code is still coming up and so is my VSV code.... Texas is so retarded with vehicle regulations....

3. Nov 5, 2013 at 2:21 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I had the same issue. P0441 code I think. It would come on randomly at startup during the colder months, but not when temps were really cold. I took mine apart and cleaned it like you did. I ended up replacing it because cleaning didn't really seem to fix it. I'll still get the error code every once in a while but not as often as before. I think toyota rev'd the part at some point because I ordered one and it wouldn't fit on my truck b/c of my DT headers. I had to send it back and get the older part no. Maybe the newer ones are more reliable. I think it's the solenoid that causes the problem.

4. Nov 6, 2013 at 12:56 PM
    broodtaco

broodtaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    Hey afd23a! Yea after I cleaned it I haven't had a CEL come on at all... but, after my failed inspection I plan on replacing the part regardless. I have ordered a rev'd part. I am hoping your DT headers are aftermarket? Which is probably the reason they do not fit? Hopefully my air switch will fit! I think it is the solenoid. I did bend the little copper piece back towards the solenoid though. I might try to get it inspected again and see if it flies this time.

5. Nov 9, 2013 at 6:55 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Yes my headers are aftermarket. They only fit up to 08 it something like that. I'm assuming because of the valve. Good luck with your inspection.

6. Nov 15, 2013 at 6:29 AM
    broodtaco

broodtaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    Got the inspection done with the old part on it. The new part will be put on this weekend. Apparently a little bit of cleaning and it gets the job done. BUT, I still have the new part so I might as well replace it. I guess it is the updated version of the old one.

Products Discussed in

To Top