1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Self dimming mirror issues

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Crazyfrog, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Dec 18, 2010 at 7:36 PM
    Crazyfrog

Crazyfrog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Monroe Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4X4 DC
    OME 885's, Bilstien 5100, 2"AAL, Weathertechs, AVS visors, Access bed cover
    Ok, I've had this truck about a month now, and already have 4000 miles. I run alot of evening calls for work, so I'm out after dark quite a bit.
    I kept thinking that the self dimming mirror really wasnt dimming all that much, so I started investigating. If it werent for the rear tinted window, it wouldnt be worth a shit!

So according to the maual, there are 2 light sensors, 1 front, 1 back. When i'm on country roads, it seems to work just fine. When I'm in town with street lights it doesnt seem to do much.
    Tonight, I had to run about 40 miles on the highway, and realized that if my GPS is on, it creates enough light to un dim the mirror.

My plan tommorow is to put a piece of elec tape over the front sensor to see if this helps. (it says NOT TO COVER THEM)
    Am I being anal, or does anyone else notice this. I thought about calling dealer, but I'm wondering if they have any way to really test this thing, especially during the day.

2. Dec 18, 2010 at 7:38 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    I dunno about you, but with my canopy on, that's a total of 3 tinted windows between my mirror and the headlights behind me, so I don't notice any change at all.

Maybe it's just that in the city, your eyes are adjusted to the ambient light, so you don't notice the mirror changing as much as in the country?

3. Dec 18, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    mine doesn't seem to work worth a damn... let us know how the tape idea works out

4. Dec 18, 2010 at 9:35 PM
    ruslanus

ruslanus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rus
    Wasilla, AK
    I don't notice any dimming on mine either, I wish I just had the trusty old tab on the bottom to switch it back and forth, lol, at least the tab works

Products Discussed in

To Top