1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Selling a vehicle privately

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by ToyComa92, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Dec 18, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    ToyComa92

ToyComa92 [OP] Write your love, Then your anger.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Conifer, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    Heated katzskin leather, Black TRD sport wheels, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec 2" Springs, Deaver 2" AAL, Pioneer AVH4400BH, Ultragauge, Weathertechs front/rear,
    Hey guys, I'm currently in the process of selling my Land Rover and i have a guy who is willing to trade me a jeep and 800 bucks cash, He doesn't have the cash but says he can pay in full on January, I suggested that he can give me the jeep, I'll give him the Land Rover and i will hold the title until the 800 is paid. I want some kind of contract that we can both sign stating these terms.

Think that would be alright?

I don't want to get ripped for 800 bucks, But without the title he cant do much correct? I plan on getting having a notary there while the contract is signed. Should be safe and if he doesnt pay i can just Repo my truck back right?

2. Dec 18, 2011 at 11:52 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    People who steal vehicles don't have the titles, either.

Personally I wouldn't do any deal til he has cash in hand.

3. Dec 18, 2011 at 11:55 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    I would find someone else. Something could come up and he still wouldn't have the $$. Or he would have your vehicle and if something happened to it, he wouldn't pay the rest and you'd be sol. I say don't do it!!

4. Dec 18, 2011 at 11:57 AM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    Yeah, keep it simple as possible. Tell him when he has the cash, you can make a deal. My best friend sold a 5th wheel travel trailer trailer to another friend of ours. he sold it for 5k, under the understanding of 500/month for 10 months. He payed for 5 months and stopped. That was 2 years ago. My buddy just had papers drawn up and served. It's going to be a huge pain to get it back. Totally not worth it.

5. Dec 18, 2011 at 11:59 AM
    LostRebel

LostRebel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Almost Canada, USA
    Vehicle:
    Black Access Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Fisher plow, BakFlip and Snugtop cap, Demello Sliders, Scanguage,
    If it was my Land Rover I'd wait two weeks and get the cash with the trade. If a buyer parts a vehicle out, a title is not needed.

6. Dec 18, 2011 at 12:17 PM
    desert guy

desert guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan Blagg
    o.c.
    Vehicle:
    toyota offroad truck
    FiberWerx Tacoma front fiberglass clip, currie rear 9 inch, 35 Spline axles, sick nicks fab steering, Beard Seats, King Coilovers, Bypass, & Hydraulic Bumpstops, DEAVER Springs
    Be Careful..I used to own a car dealership. I had to deal with this situation a lot. But it could be done.. First off, Im in California where you have to have a car smogged with-in 90 days of the sale of ANY private purchase. Make sure the car has been smogged with in 90 days of the sale. (im going by California rules, I dont know about the other states). Because you will be stuck with the car and have to pay a mechanic to fix sensors or whatever to make it pass smog so the dmv can do the transfer paperwork in to your name. The seller is not liable for that. YOU ARE AS THE BUYER... DMV will make you do it.) Also you MUST have something in writing about the agreement you guys made. (He will pay you the remaining balance in full of $800 Jan 1st etc..) Having notarized documentation is a plus. There are a couple ways to go about this:
    I would recommend that he gives you the title and signs it off in your name plus the vehicle.. (Use DMV Form 262 Bill of sale for both vehicles) But Post date purchase of the vehicle to Jan 1st 2012 the day you guys agreed of final payment. (so the dmv will not process the paperwork if the date is too early, and its a guarantee for him that you wont transfer early) Then when the agreed payment is made on the date you chose, Your good to go to the dmv.
    Overall, people can be flaky and it can become a hassle. But I did deals like this all the time too and it worked out. But if you got good vibes from the guy and it is something that you are comfortable with, do it. Just make sure you have all Legal paperwork (IN WRITING) if you do it. Word of mouth does not hold up in court

7. Dec 18, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    ToyComa92

ToyComa92 [OP] Write your love, Then your anger.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Conifer, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD sport Debadged
    Heated katzskin leather, Black TRD sport wheels, Bilstein 5100s, Toytec 2" Springs, Deaver 2" AAL, Pioneer AVH4400BH, Ultragauge, Weathertechs front/rear,
    Yah maybe il just wait, Seems like a bigger chance then im willing to take for a couple weeks.

Products Discussed in

To Top