1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Serpentine Belt Replacement

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by DGXR, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Feb 2, 2010 at 10:20 PM
    DGXR

DGXR [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    My serpentine belt looks fine -- no cracks, no glazing, no frayed cords -- but I'm coming up on 50k miles and think it should be replaced. A couple questions:

1) Is there a replacement mileage interval for this part?
    2) Is it hard to remove/replace?

I've done this before on another vehicle but it had more room to access the pulleys than there is on my Taco. Thx in advance.

2. Feb 3, 2010 at 6:13 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    on the 4 cyl gen2 i think its around 100k, but as always , if it were cracked etc replace it
    owners manual will show a spefic interval for your vehicle

3. Feb 3, 2010 at 6:21 AM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I replaced mine at 75 or 80k because it was beginning to squeak when cold. It's not hard, just need a socket (14mm I think) and a ratchet or breaker bar so you can move the tensioner off the belt.

4. Feb 3, 2010 at 12:31 PM
    DGXR

DGXR [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    I checked the OEM service manual before posting here, it only says to inspect the drive belt at 60k, 75k, 90k, 105k and 120k miles. The manual never recommends replacement of the drive belt(s). I find this strange, but then different driving habits, road types, environmental conditions, etc. all affect the life of the belt and everything else for that matter. I'll just inspect it periodically per the manual. If it gets up there near 70-80k, it's a $40 part and I will replace it for my own peace of mind. Thanks for your replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top