1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Service Contract Questions

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by CJWinOR, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Jan 30, 2023 at 12:53 PM
    CJWinOR

CJWinOR [OP] Member

Member:
    I have a leased 2020 Tacoma that I now am going to buy due to the availability problems and other issues. The truck has 43K miles, not needing to pay mileage fees is another reason to keep it. I normally am not a fan of extended warranties, but there are some issues that have never been resolved with my truck, so, I would like to buy a service contract on this one.

After reading positive reviews of Jennifer at Lexus of Ann Arbor, and Ian at Wolverine Toyota. Jennifer responded saying she could only sell Lexus warranties, and Ian just responded with an email saying he could only sell a warranty if the vehicle was still under the 36-36 period. Another positive review suggested Toyota of Greenfield, they offered only a 5 year, 60,000 mile Platinum warranty $3,470.00.

Does anyone here have any other suggestions? Thirty odd years ago I worked at one of what at the time was one of only six remaining Plymouth only dealerships. There was only one non Chrysler service contact we would accept, and that was because they paid with a credit card at time of service.

If anyone here works in the industry and has any suggestions about non Toyota service plans, I would appreciate the comments.

HondaGM likes this.
  2. Jan 30, 2023 at 1:06 PM
    Comm_Guy

Comm_Guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vero Beach, FL, USA
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tacoma TRD Sport DCSB
    Keeping it simple and OEM, Tailgate Letters, Bed Lights, Power Tailgate Lock, Exhaust Tip, Peragon Bed Cover, Ham Radio Install.
    Why don't you want to ask the dealer you leased the car from?

HondaGM and kahanabob like this.
  3. Jan 30, 2023 at 1:09 PM
    fourfourone

fourfourone Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD sport(sold) 2023 Tacoma
    What issues does the truck have?

HondaGM likes this.
  4. Jan 30, 2023 at 1:13 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    Well..just from what ive seen with the adjusters these extended warranty companies send here...there trained to look for any little thing to deny a claim
    i would feel better to take the money...roll the window down and throw it out on the side of the road somewhere

LeakyAC likes this.
  5. Jan 30, 2023 at 1:17 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    My feeling is to never buy an aftermarket warranty.

At the price you mentioned, wouldnt turning it in with the mileage hit be cheaper?

Hugh Jashole and HondaGM like this.
  6. Jan 30, 2023 at 1:18 PM
    Silver-Taco1

Silver-Taco1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    There are a lot of aftermarket service contracts out there, some good and some bad. Start Googling and make sure to read reviews and info from the BBB. Be sure to read completely any contract before you sign-- what you are getting and be real clear what is and what is not covered. Also find out if the parts used for repairs are OE, aftermarket or used. You will need to do your homework but you will be happy that you did when you decide. Good luck!

HondaGM likes this.
  7. Jan 30, 2023 at 1:32 PM
    CJWinOR

CJWinOR [OP] Member

Member:
    An update to this story. I called Toyota Financial trying to get a better understanding of what they offer for service contracts. They will not provide specifics, but said they have dealers that have sold the best Platinum on ten year old cars, and the cheapest basic plans on brand new cars. Apparently, Toyota Financial does have plans other than what Toyota of Greenfield offered. This refusal to provide facts leads to the ambiguity of the whole topic.

Someone asked why I don't buy it from the dealership I leased it from? My answer is that I do not want to further reward their failure to resolve things like the radio losing its memory overnight, an issue since day one. The dealers in my area universally disappoint in every department.

8. Jan 30, 2023 at 1:35 PM
    RichVT

RichVT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Northern Vermont
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4X4 AC Grey
    One of the ones that I saw said that if YOU used aftermarket parts, then their warranty was void but THEY had the right to use aftermarket parts for a covered repair.

9. Jan 30, 2023 at 1:59 PM
    22Coma6MT

22Coma6MT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport AC 6MT
    you mention service contract and warranty. i am going to assume you mean an extended warranty rather than a service contract that provides pre-paid oil changes for example.

check to make sure an extended warranty will cover pre-existing conditions. it sounds like there are issues with your truck that may be documented. if that is the case, and they are not resolved, and either recur or cause other issues, an extended warranty particularly from a 3rd party may not cover them. i do not know this for fact when it comes to automobiles but it has occurred with home warranties.

10. Jan 30, 2023 at 2:10 PM
    Gatafly

Gatafly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD OR AT V6 MGM
    I still believe extended warranties are the worst way to spend your money. Take the money you would have spent and put it in a high yield CD right now. I would call Toyota corporate about the radio issue if you have documentation showing the issue you tried to address while still under warranty. They can not ignore a problem while under warranty until it is out of warranty. If you have proof they will likely help you out. There are more and more trucks available now so if you need turn it in and go buy elsewhere even if it means a plane ride to get there.

turbodb likes this.
  11. Jan 30, 2023 at 3:02 PM
    eurowner

eurowner Duke Sky

Member:
    First Name:
    Scoty
    The Syncro Ranch, Salida ColoRADo
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRDOR DCLB FTMFWBBQ Silver Sky Met
    Bilstein 8112+650lb coils, 8100+Deaver Stage II leaf pack, SPC UCA, DuroBumps, Mobtown 0* sliders W/fill plates, Mobtown Recovery Bar, Radium PVC & CCV Dual Oil Separator Catch Can System, Snugtop Hiliner Sport, ATH bed Stiffeners (cuz bottle openers!) and front corner tie down, Badger plates for Firestone airbag + Relentless U-bolt flip + Daystar cradles, TRD Pro shift knob, TRD Exhaust, HPS Silicone intake tube, Green Filter, TRD Intake Air Accelerator, 265-70-17 Toyo Open Country ATIII on TRD 17"Rockwarrior Cold Forged wheels, TRD alloy front skid, RCI Aluminum transmission & transfer case skids. Much Meso awesomeness, FreshMexicanTaco TacoGarage Camera Controller + DDM, WarFab Sheridan hitch skid, Rago LCA steel skids + lower rear shock guards, ScanGauge II, FN Koning Countersteer 16" spare, OEM T4R 90105-14104 coilover lower mounting eye bolts
    @CJWinOR What are the "issues that have never been resolved"?

12. Jan 30, 2023 at 4:42 PM
    gudujarlson

gudujarlson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off-Road DCSB 6MT
    Kings, Dakars, SPCs, 33's, Mobtown Sliders, TRD Skid
    If extended warranties were a good deal for the customer, they wouldn’t exist. That said, if you willing to pay for piece of mind, go for it.

13. Jan 30, 2023 at 4:48 PM
    MGMDesertTaco

MGMDesertTaco Come on, live a little...

Member:
    I'd save your money and roll the dice if you're buying the truck out. Have you thought about what that $3500 could get you towards the purchase of a new truck if you sold your current one to a car buying service like carvana, ect. I'll bet you have equity in the lease.

14. Jan 30, 2023 at 6:34 PM
    Speeddmn

Speeddmn Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    I bought a 2016 and ooted for an extended warranty. As a former service writer at a HM store I delt with many different ones. I can turn my own wrenches but there are specific reasons to use the dealer. Not two days after I bought my pickup the 4wd was acting wonky. Would engage, wouldn’t engage, flased the light for 4 days straight etc. I wanted 30 days in hopes my contract would be active, it wassnt, and took it to my local dealer. Paid my $200 deductible and got the issue fixed saving me around $2500. The selling dealer did reimburse me the $200 since I called them when the issue happened. I did give them the opportunity to pick the vehicle up and fix it on their dime but they choose not too.

ao in the end it all depends. I’ve personally seen claims denied because the owner swapped their crap srock tires out for a 10ply. If you have a kick ass service department around you then they will do what they can to make the warranty company to pay. I used to use extended warranties for all I could especially if parts were in stock and I knew they wouldn’t send an inspector!

Products Discussed in

To Top