1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Setting up a server?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Rhoman, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Jun 21, 2017 at 7:50 AM
    Rhoman

Rhoman [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Indigo Sport
    Interested in setting up a server in a fraternity house that runs on the network wifi. Mainly will hold tests, info on each member, etc. Just trying to consolidate a data dump. What are somethings I need? (Obviously a computer and monitor to run the server) I want the server to be network only and only accessible if on the house wifi.

2. Jun 21, 2017 at 7:57 AM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    You would need drives for the data. If there isnt a lot of data you could make a two drive RAID1, or a three drive RAID5. Is this going to be a standard desktop? Youll need a fast wifi card (or if you are able to plug directly into the router/switch that would be better ) to handle the traffic, as well as a good connection to the access point. For security, you could set up shared folders on the RAID and each person only has access to their folder. That is a very brief summary of the basics, im sure theres more i forgot though.

3. Jun 21, 2017 at 8:04 AM
    Rhoman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Indigo Sport
    What I'm looking at doing is setting it up in our electrical closet and cabling straight into the switch. I was told a newer top of the line computer with plenty of storage will be best option. Traffic wise, at max I don't see more than 10-15 people trying to hop on the server at the same time. Dealing with security, could we give everyone logins to access the server or would having the wifi password to access the server be enough? Some stuff on the server would be sensitive and not accessible by all.

4. Jun 21, 2017 at 9:38 AM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    Make sure the computer won't overheat in the closet. I wouldn't suggest having the WiFi password being all that's needed to access the data. If that's the route you go, set up MAC filtering also, so only approved devices have access with the password.

5. Jun 21, 2017 at 9:39 AM
    Rhoman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Indigo Sport
    With the wifi password could I still make logins for sensitive info? Financial documents, member information, etc

6. Jun 21, 2017 at 5:53 PM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    If your goal is to learn how to setup a server then motor on, but if your goal is to save and share data then there are easier ways to get that done.

7. Jun 21, 2017 at 7:40 PM
    Rhoman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Indigo Sport
    It's kind of a learning experience/project, so I was just going to play around with it with end goal of data sharing and whatnot

8. Jun 22, 2017 at 6:07 PM
    jsi

jsi Well-Known Member

Member:
    native earthling
    Well my friend you are getting on a slippery slope, good for you. :thumbsup:

The best advice I can offer is google is your friend. I've worked in IT for longer than I'm willing to admit and I'd be lost without it. One of the best techs I have ever worked with was asked "how do you know so much?" His answer was "I'm better at googling than most people."

The first thing I'd google is "nas server build" That's a place to start, but there are a thousand ways to skin this cat.

theredofshaw likes this.
  9. Jun 22, 2017 at 6:20 PM
    replica9000

replica9000 Das ist no bueno

Member:
    Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP
    I more of a Linux guy, so I do everything through ssh/sshfs/sftp, not sure what windows offers for that. I'm not an IT professional, but my home wifi network is MAC filtered, and ssh on non-standard ports.

Maybe FreeNAS would be a good option?

Products Discussed in

To Top