1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shaking when braking

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tr0gd0r, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Sep 10, 2009 at 3:44 PM
    tr0gd0r

tr0gd0r [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pullman, WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver Streak TRD Offroad DCSB V6 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust - 265/75/16 BFG KM2s
    My truck shakes/vibrates a bit when slowing from 60-70 miles an hour. It only does it when slowing from high speed and I dont think it is from my rotors because I just got the pads replaced and the dealership said the rotors werent warped at all. Also, if it were because of warped rotors, it would affect low speed stops as well.

Could it be from the brake proportioning valve since I have about a 2inch lift in back? I have used the relocation bracket so I dont think that should be the problem.

Anyone have the same issue? Or know how to fix it?

2. Sep 10, 2009 at 5:15 PM
    devilsalmostfree

devilsalmostfree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Loudon, Tn
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 4X4, 5 spd, 2.7 ltr
    Deck plate mod, intake silencer removed, AFE Pro Dry S Air Filter, debadged, Goodyear Duratracs 265/75R16. Flowmaster knock-off muffler!
    mine shook like crazy, i had just changed brakes & had the rotors turned, about 2000 miles later, the vibrating started. i got new rotors, used the same brakes, & it was as smooth as could be!

3. Sep 13, 2009 at 3:05 AM
    dustinuhls

dustinuhls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    Icon Coilovers, Magnaflow, K&N Intake
    Did you have the rotors turned when you replaced the pads? If not, this could be your problem. The old pads were worn the same as the old rotors. If you didn't have the rotors turned, there could be some slight differences in your new pads and old rotors which could be the culprit of your vibrating issue. Hope this helps.

Note: You should always turn or replace your rotors when changing pads. It doesn't cost that much.

4. Sep 13, 2009 at 6:18 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If you have a minor warp in the rotors, you'll feel it mostly at high speeds and less likely to feel it at all during low speeds - and that's simply because the rotor is spinning XXXX times faster and XXXX more revolutions than at slower speeds.

The worse the warp is, the more you'll feel it at slow speeds.

5. Sep 13, 2009 at 9:01 AM
    eganx

eganx Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kingston WA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma
    its the rotors, I had the same problem on my 99 tacoma, only shook when braking at high speeds. I replaced the rotors and pads, problem solved. its a common problem with toyotas, I have a 97 lexus and had the same problem. don't know why toyota rotors warp like they do.....but once they warp I don't bother having them turned. I did my 99 last week for $95(front rotors and ceramic pads)

6. Sep 13, 2009 at 9:30 AM
    05 X-Runner

05 X-Runner Murdered X

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Napa, Nor-Cal. Whine Country U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    BSP 05 X-Runner, 07 TRD Sport Super White
    HVM C/F X-Runner badge 1 of 6 made,P/C'ed black rims,Blacked out Billet Grill,BLHM,HID's,Tinted tail covers, Fog light mod,BFLM,C2C Black eyelids,,C2C 1.75" Front drop 2" rear,C2C Hoodstruts,URD Shortshifter,URD T-CAI.Custom Coupe shiftball, NST Manifold Spacer.. 07 TRD Sport Super White,De-badged,White headlight Mod,Fog light mod,White tail light mod,C2C white eyelids, C2C hood struts
    My wifes old 03 had the same problem, the rotors were warped after they were replaced never had a problem again

7. Sep 13, 2009 at 5:39 PM
    tr0gd0r

tr0gd0r [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pullman, WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver Streak TRD Offroad DCSB V6 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust - 265/75/16 BFG KM2s
    Do you still think its the rotors even if the steering wheel doesnt shake?

The dealership said the rotors were fine, thats why they werent turned. My truck was purchased with aftermarket slotted rotors and the dealership wasnt sure if they could be turned.

Products Discussed in

To Top