1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Share your “Someone tried to rob you” stories

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Mista_G, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Jun 13, 2018 at 10:50 PM
    Mista_G

Mista_G [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    Kings F/R 2.5" EXT w/700lb springs, JD Fab UCA’s w/ Lower Pivot Kit, Icon Progressive AAL (with TSB and overload in), CB drop, 285/75-17 nitto ridge grapplers, SCS Deep Dish Ray Dimes, Snugtop Rebel Shell, Prinsu Toprac, Gibson SS Catback Exhaust, ATH front /rear steel bumpers, CVT awning, Airflow snorkel, @ Shmellmopwho sliders, SC w/ @justdsm HPtune, 3° Cam Gears @mightytacoman, 2.8 smooth flow pulley, StopTech BBK
    ok, so this is my first time making a thread like this, but something happened to me today that I have to share, sorry it may be a long read, but all of this is true and should be a good read.

It was around 10:30 am this morning, Tuesday, June 13th. I’m a high school teacher, as is my wife, so we are both off for the summer. Our daughter who is three is playing in her room, my wife and I are in our room sitting and talking about what we need to get done that day, my dog, who is a mean son of a bitch is also with us in our room. I randonmly hear this noise in my backyard like something fell and my dog also perks up like what the hell was that.

I live on a corner so my driveway and front door are on opposite ends and my driveway has a gate in to my backyard which we use as our primary entrance in to our house, which leads to a deck, which leads to a door in to my kitchen.

I get up to go investigate. My wife is behind me and the dog is behind her. I make a left in to my hallway and I hear a guys voice. It’s only three more steps to the next left which goes to my kitchen which is 6 feet to the door which leads to the backyard. I make the next left and there about to walk in to my house is a 6’3” late 50’s white dude holding a shield and sword I keep as decoration in my backyard.

I immediately yell get the fuck out of my house. He stops looks at me and gets in the worst mid evil sword and shield fight stance I’ve ever seen. By this time my daughter has run out of her room so it goes me, my wife, the dog next to her, and my daughter behind her. I’m no combat vet, I’ve never trained with law enforcement, I’m a sports guy since I was little, lift 5 days a week, but nothing has ever simulated that moment in my life to that degree with my family literally at my back. It all happened so fast, but I can tell you in that moment it all slowed down, I thought kill him before he kills you and your family and the decision was easy. My wife is pulling on my shoulders to hold me back but I casually step forward and tell the guy “I’m going to kill you.” I don’t think he expected that. I take another step forward as he starts to back up. He then drops both the shield and sword and try’s to run. I step outside look left and right to make sure he’s alone. My wife, love her, is holding the dog back and my daughter (she hates herself right now that she didn’t let him go) I look at her and say I’ll be right back.

I watch as this sorry excuse tries to hop my fence. I grab the sword on the way out, don’t know why, it just happened. He goes over the fence, I go through the gate almost meeting him simultaneously on the other side. He starts to run, I pace him. He runs through the school parking lot across from my house. I could have easily ran him down, but I wasn’t so much trying to catch him at that moment as rather get him further from my house. One woman is in her car talking to another woman standing outside her car. I yell call the cops this guy tried to break in my house. The thief then asks these women to save him from me and runs towards them. They both freak. I yell leave them alone. No one is going to save you. I pace him for another 50 yards. By now he’s crossed another street and is begging for me not to hurt him. I finally say if you get down I won’t hurt you.

He immediately hits the deck. I say on your stomach now. Immediately complies. I walk over to him, put the sword on the back of his neck and tell him if you try and get up I’m going to kill you. I meant it. I kept him like that till the police arrived.

Police show up on scene, I walk away, toss the sword and watch. The usual happened after that. They cuff him take my statement ask if I want to press charges yada yada. My wife was able to see me talking to the cops from our porch so I gave her a wave that I was ok. I was able to take the sword back home with me, but the cops all laughed at me because I was in trunks, no shirt, and sandals. I didn’t really think it was that funny at the time.

But when I got back to the house and talked to my wife, she was like did the cops say anything about what you look like? I was like what do you mean. She was like go look in the mirror. I was like uh ok. This is what I saw.
    82199DAA-92FF-494B-AD13-6531ACD73FA1.jpg
    I had forgotten that earlier that morning my daughter and I had done face painting. I started dieing laughing when I looked in the mirror.

Not sure why I wanted to share this, other than I needed to air it out. I don’t know if my actions were right or wrong, foolish or anger driven. But I now know what it’s like to be between an enemy and your family. Like I said I haven’t had any special training for something like that. But it just happened. I still can’t believe it even though I’m writing it 12 hours later.

But, I wanted to start this thread for others to share moments like this. Big props to all of you who stand between yours and the devil at your door. Stay safe homies.

2. Jun 13, 2018 at 10:56 PM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    Glad you and your family are safe.

3. Jun 13, 2018 at 11:03 PM
    climbhigher23

climbhigher23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS TRD Off-Road 4x4
    2.5" King w/Adj 285/70/17 Wildpeaks Ray 10's
    Where was your gun?

Lucky he didn’t decide to use the sword on you and your family. Glad you are all okay.

4. Jun 13, 2018 at 11:05 PM
    YOTA 4X4

YOTA 4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab Off-Road
    OME HD Lift all around, SCS SR8 Rims, 255 85 R16 Cooper ST Maxx, Decked Drawers, 30" Rigid Pro Light bar above bumper on Rago Mounts, Rigid Dually Side Shooters on Rago ditch brackets, Hondo Garage Un-Holey Phone Mount X2, Hondo Radio Knobs AR Bolt Face, Garmin InReach SE GPS synch'ed to Iphone for GPS only mapping, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Husky Liner Contour floor mats, 63 QT ARB Fridge on Alu-Cab tilting slide. GoFastCamper (#41), ARB 2500 Awning with Full Room, Mobtown Off-road Sliders and Full Aluminum Skids.
    Wow. That’s a pretty interesting story. As a life member of the NRA I really enjoy reading the first page or so of every issue of American Hunter. Mostly tales of 75 year old grandmas backing down thugs with their late Husbands 1911 ext. it’s nice when the good guys win. I’d guess your War Paint might have helped you chase that guy off. Nice work protecting your most cherished.

I’m very glad it all worked out for you, obviously you can’t help doing what you do in the moment, but obviously things could have ended very differently. Stay safe.

ruffridha9 and Mista_G[OP] like this.
  5. Jun 13, 2018 at 11:07 PM
    Linewalker

Linewalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juh Broh Nee
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Good to see you have a sense of humor and your family is safe.

Mista_G[OP] likes this.
  6. Jun 13, 2018 at 11:08 PM
    motodude95

motodude95 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD Sport DCLB, OME 886s, 33s
    Dude this was a great read. Thank God you and your family are alright, and good job being a bad motherfucker and doing what needed to be done to protect them. Your actions weren't foolish, they were just natural man. That instinct that kicked in, kill or be killed kind of shit, that's one of the most raw emotions embedded in humans and it rarely comes out these days if ever. Some people go their entire lives without feeling that. But thank God you didn't do anything to the guy and restrained yourself when you had him laying down. Couple hundred years ago you would have been clean and clear to do so but today's society would have put you behind bars. Anyway, cool story man thanks for sharing. Glad to know you and your family are okay and that piece of shit is going to get what he deserves.

I'm a young dude, mid 20's just graduated from college. Back in high school I did almost get robbed once coming home from a party. Had a few drinks with my buddy, we were walking home and decided to take a leak behind the 7/11 on the way to our houses at like 2am. Some dudes who obviously weren't from our area rushed us right when we got done and held us up against the wall. The guy by me grabbed my neck and pushed me up against the wall and asked for my wallet. I realized he didn't have a weapon and wasn't holding anything up to us so I decided to fight back. Looking back at it now it was stupid because he definitely could have had a knife or a gun, but when you're drunk and 17 and have been wrestling and doing karate your whole life, it happens. Turns out a cop car was sitting at a gas station across the street the entire time and saw what happened. As we were beating these guys up they pulled up with all their lights flashing. Took the guys in, and my buddy and I got drinking tickets with our parents called to pick us up at 3am hahah. They were not happy.

It's a good life man

7. Jun 13, 2018 at 11:09 PM
    Linewalker

Linewalker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juh Broh Nee
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Those aren't legally allowed in California. :rolleyes:

8. Jun 13, 2018 at 11:13 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    You look pretty fucking scary with that face paint. My first thought was the ending scene from wind river :rofl: Hopefully you've seen it.

[​IMG]

snowtank, raventaco, eon_blue and 7 others like this.
  9. Jun 13, 2018 at 11:13 PM
    Mista_G

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    Kings F/R 2.5" EXT w/700lb springs, JD Fab UCA’s w/ Lower Pivot Kit, Icon Progressive AAL (with TSB and overload in), CB drop, 285/75-17 nitto ridge grapplers, SCS Deep Dish Ray Dimes, Snugtop Rebel Shell, Prinsu Toprac, Gibson SS Catback Exhaust, ATH front /rear steel bumpers, CVT awning, Airflow snorkel, @ Shmellmopwho sliders, SC w/ @justdsm HPtune, 3° Cam Gears @mightytacoman, 2.8 smooth flow pulley, StopTech BBK
    Haha those are in the safe in the garage bolted to the ground. May keep one in the house now. But dude... 10:30 am on a Tuesday, first thought wasn’t oh it’s someone on my backyard. Live and learn I guess.

10. Jun 13, 2018 at 11:14 PM
    Mista_G

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    I love that movie. I actually have long hair. My wife said the only thing that could have made it even worse was if your hair was down.

EatSleepTacos[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jun 13, 2018 at 11:17 PM
    inwood customs

inwood customs Roaming potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    K&n, flowmaster, plastidip, chipped, hids, daves
    1993 or 94... riding bicycle down the street, broad daylight.
    Asshat jumped in front, put gun to stomach.
    I was a teen and couldnt believe it....
    "Your gunna have to shoot me right here in the middle of the street"

Im still here so, i guess he wasnt as committed as i was.

Mista_G[OP] and EatSleepTacos like this.
  12. Jun 13, 2018 at 11:47 PM
    Rob Daman

Rob Daman The Taco Formerly Known as Hard Shell Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    17 OR 6MT
    a lot
    Glad the cops didn't think you were the crazed person with a sword.

13. Jun 13, 2018 at 11:58 PM
    Mista_G

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    I know right, I was thinking the same thing as I waited. Hence tossing the sword and walking away as soon as I saw the black and white.

Rob Daman[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Jun 14, 2018 at 12:04 AM
    Mista_G

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    And guys I know it could have gone so much more wrong in so many different ways. I’ll post of pic of the “Imfamous sword” tomorrow. It’ll make you all laugh. But as I said I just acted, not much thinking involved, my wife would say that’s probably the norm.

If sketch boy had a gun or a machete or a bazooka I probably wouldn’t be responding.

15. Jun 14, 2018 at 12:20 AM
    05Taco4x4

05Taco4x4 ToyotaHubs

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2TR-FE Enthusiast
    FJ Tcase, Manual Hubs, 2017 Head unit, Mirror Riser
    I was an international trade major in college, housed with lots of international students. A friend from Spain was staying the summer with an aunt she had never met, lived in Newark, NJ. Me and a friend from Mexico City decided to take a road trip to NY, see the Statue of Liberty and shenanigans. We found out she was across the water in Newark, got invited to stay with her and her cousin :thumbsup: I can't remember if it was on the Jersey side or NY side (I'm thinking NY side) but a guy in a jumper starts talking shit to my friend on the train, flexing and shit (completely unprovoked); there's two people between me and him atm and I'm fuming. A couple stops later most people are off the train, our car is mostly empty except for a nice family sitting in the back, mom dad and three teenage children. I still remember the dad had a Tennessee Volunteer cap on. My friend is sitting across from me. Anyways, home boy is standing in the center leaning on a pole and after a few stops leans over and quietly in my left ear "give me $20 or I'll kick your ass" and stood back up. I asked him "will you take two $10s?" as I stood up and put my left hand to my back pocket. He looked completely dumbfound as his eyes were locked so hard on my left hip that he didn't see what was coming at him from my right :rofl: I will never forget the look on the dad's face :rofl: That's been quite a few years ago and I'm pretty sure it's safe for me to share that now.

16. Jun 14, 2018 at 3:48 PM
    Mista_G

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    The “infamous sword”
    8CFF4512-AF30-4619-8447-9C055150EB36.jpg
    Such a piece of junk haha. No clue why I picked it up on the way out. Neither edge is sharp and the point would take quite a significant amount of force to penetrate and its heavy as shit. Don’t think I’ll ever be able to part with it now though, pass it down for generations in my family haha

Oh and this is who my wife was holding back:
    49593ED8-0FD3-4C2D-AE1F-AA56C780F455.jpg
    80 lbs of pure A-hole if he doesn’t know you.

Pics for visual purposes.

17. Jun 14, 2018 at 4:02 PM
    CJREX

CJREX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Should've let him have a chance at the guy :D

Would've made his day!

Boatbldr and theredofshaw like this.
  18. Jun 14, 2018 at 4:20 PM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    Glad you and yours are safe.

Seeing that sword though...well, that's a little disappointing. I had something more "Game of Thrones" than that!
    [​IMG]

19. Jun 14, 2018 at 4:25 PM
    Mista_G

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    Come on bro, don’t make fun of the length of my sword...

It’s about 3 feet in length, but I guess the swap meet was all out of Valerian Steel.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  20. Jun 14, 2018 at 4:26 PM
    Mista_G

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    Haha yea my wife was so upset at herself after the fact. But probably for the best in the end.

TACOVRD likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top