1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Share your “Someone tried to rob you” stories

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Mista_G, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Jun 20, 2018 at 10:55 AM
    yota243

yota243 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E.J.
    north Alabama
    Vehicle:
    turbo 05 prerunner trd off road DC
    Bw s256 turbo with 3 in glass pack dumped pre axle raptor liner bed and top rails and fenderflares and rocker panels. Hunter side steps. Plasti-dipped upper fenders and emblems. satin black spray paint here and there inside and out. 5100's set to 1.75" up front . C channel front bumper. Maxxis bighorn 255/85/16
    thread of the year? post of the year? member of the year? (sorry @ChadsPride )

jeff b, Mista_G[OP] and ChadsPride like this.
  2. Jun 20, 2018 at 2:17 PM
    Sandytaco14

Sandytaco14 IG: qstaco17

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    North al
    Vehicle:
    '17 trd offroad 4x4
    Fuck criminals! Good job broteinshake.

Mista_G[OP] and yota243 like this.
  3. Jun 20, 2018 at 3:32 PM
    Mista_G

Mista_G [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    Kings F/R 2.5" EXT w/700lb springs, JD Fab UCA’s w/ Lower Pivot Kit, Icon Progressive AAL (with TSB and overload in), CB drop, 285/75-17 nitto ridge grapplers, SCS Deep Dish Ray Dimes, Snugtop Rebel Shell, Prinsu Toprac, Gibson SS Catback Exhaust, ATH front /rear steel bumpers, CVT awning, Airflow snorkel, @ Shmellmopwho sliders, SC w/ @justdsm HPtune, 3° Cam Gears @mightytacoman, 2.8 smooth flow pulley, StopTech BBK
    Thanks for the well wishes man, dude was definitely high as fuck, and no idea why he grabbed the sword and shield, maybe childhood fantasy breaking through via the drugs.

4. Jun 20, 2018 at 3:34 PM
    Mista_G

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    Kings F/R 2.5" EXT w/700lb springs, JD Fab UCA’s w/ Lower Pivot Kit, Icon Progressive AAL (with TSB and overload in), CB drop, 285/75-17 nitto ridge grapplers, SCS Deep Dish Ray Dimes, Snugtop Rebel Shell, Prinsu Toprac, Gibson SS Catback Exhaust, ATH front /rear steel bumpers, CVT awning, Airflow snorkel, @ Shmellmopwho sliders, SC w/ @justdsm HPtune, 3° Cam Gears @mightytacoman, 2.8 smooth flow pulley, StopTech BBK
    haha that is a first, I know the pic doesn't look like it, but a few people have given me Mark Wahlberg, but they always make sure to let me know we have different noses. We do share a birthday though, sadly not the abs.

5. Jun 20, 2018 at 8:16 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    Best I can do...
    Several years ago I was just getting home after being out with some friends one night. It was after dark. I pulled into my driveway, nice and wide open, nothing out of the ordinary. Walked up my steps and was just about to put my keys in the door when I hear a voice RIGHT BEHIND ME say in a sort of slurred way, "well hey there sweetheart". I immediately spun around and shifted my keys so that most of them were sticking out between the knuckles of my clinched fist. There was a guy standing about 3 steps down from my front porch. I said in the most monotone and threatening voice I think I've ever used, "I'm not your fucking sweetheart." Dude about fell over backwards trying to get off of my steps. :laugh: To this day I'm not sure if he just had the wrong house (lots of rentals on my block, they all look alike) or if he was just waiting for someone who looked like an easy target to wander down the street and I really did scare the shit out of him. He backed off and I got inside and relocked the door as quick as I could then called a friend who lived nearby as I peeked out the front window to make sure creepy dude was gone.

6. Jun 23, 2018 at 7:24 AM
    Mista_G

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    Glad you ended up ok. In my neighborhood there is a mixed community, some single family homes and a lot of low income apartment/condos. Most of those are filled with families trying to make up a buck and get by in the US of A. But good old So Cal is the transients Mecca. Just recently they flushed out a riverbed that had an enormous community of homeless people and a park about a mile and a half from my house, which was also filled with homeless people, is under construction and going to be “homeless proof” ( I shit you not that’s what it says on the sign). So a lot of those people are now wondering the streets. I think that’s what maybe flushed this guy all the way down to my neighborhood, because up to this point I hadn’t seen any around my house.

The 8 foot fence starts going up tomorrow.

nDub, tcjacado and EatSleepTacos like this.
  7. Jun 23, 2018 at 8:00 AM
    tcjacado

tcjacado Well-Known Member

Member:
    o_O:rofl::rofl::rofl: good luck to the engineers and designers on that one.

Mista_G[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  8. Jun 23, 2018 at 8:52 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    I live in a little Suburb outside of Pasadena known to be a 'quanit little American town' but this little town has had its issues with gangs for years. Anyway my fiance and I moved into a little craftsman house (rental) about a year ago. I started hearing local stories almost immediately of gang robberies in the area, which if you live in LA or anywhere in SoCal really...you unfortunately start to get used to. But I really hadn't expected it here.

On NYE last year my friend's brother and his girlfriend were walking home from the downtown area that runs a few blocks through our residential zone and has a movie theater, restaurants, cafes, bars, etc. The police station is right there too. They were approached from behind by 2 young men wearing hooded sweatshirts and carrying a bat. They asked 'where are you from?' When he said 'here' they jumped him. My friend's brother is a well trained fighter and always carries a knife, but he told me he handed it over to his girlfriend and told her to run so she did. They ended up breaking his arm and taking his phone/wallet but luckily he's in one piece today.

So a few weeks later my fiance and I are at our house, friend's brother's story is still fresh in my mind and at 11pm or so we're in the living room watching tv with big windows that face right outside. They're not shaded because her damn cat pees all over the curtains, which led to us seeing this hooded figure wandering around our front yard looking like he was looking for something. My friend's story fresh in mind I immediately jump up and run to our room to grab my knife I usually carry, then I hear my fiance yell that he ran to the side of the house. So I run out back, thinking he went there, knife and flashlight in hand and I don't see anything. I hear her scream my name from inside and I nearly trip and stab myself running back in, thinking he had gotten in the house. Turns out he was still in the front yard but hid on the side when he saw me get up from the couch.

I run to the front and it's some terrified kid telling me he was just there to clean up after his dog that had crapped in our yard earlier and he didn't have a bag...I was like DUDE WTF you need to look less suspicious and do that in the daylight, christ.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Sidney Vicious and Mista_G[OP] like this.
  9. Jun 23, 2018 at 9:18 AM
    MTrider

MTrider Well-Unknown Member

Member:
    Billings, Montana
    But drug use is a victimless crime according to liberal media, judges, defense attorneys, etc.

How many drug addicts have 9-5’s that they work 5 days a week to support their addiction? With the exception of the 9-5 drug dealer I suppose. Nearly every violent crime, burglary, and theft has a dope connection.

Glad you have the mindset to protect you and yours and not allow yourself to be a victim. Good on you for taking care of business and it’s even better you were painted like a f*cking warrior while doing it. Awesome that the paint came from your daughter during playtime.

10. Jun 23, 2018 at 9:24 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Man, you need to get yourself a gun for home protection. A knife in untrained hands is gonna get messy.

11. Jun 23, 2018 at 9:29 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    @Mista_G this memory will be quite handy when the teenage years and the crazed boys arrive.

Keep the sword by the door for when the dates come knocking. And have the paint on.

Just route a cattle wire on top of what you have now.

Much easier and more fun to watch.

12. Jun 23, 2018 at 9:37 AM
    eon_blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    Yeah I know, not easy in CA but still possible. The hard part now is convincing my fiance we need one for that reason, she was pretty adamantly against it before this scenario but is coming around.

13. Jun 23, 2018 at 9:40 AM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    That’s good at least. And is it really that hard to get a long arm? Shotguns are typically pretty easy to buy.

14. Jun 23, 2018 at 9:44 AM
    eon_blue

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    I was just having that convo in my head, lol. No, I could go out today and get a shotgun to the best of my knowledge, but we live in a small house with small rooms, hallway, etc...I feel like a shotgun/long rifle wouldn't serve me very well in protecting us in tight quarters like that. I'd much rather get a handgun, which are considerably more time consuming to get here but not impossible. My dad did it recently. The harder part is convincing her...

EatSleepTacos[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jun 23, 2018 at 9:46 AM
    Mista_G

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    I know right, I'm curious to see what this thing is going to look like, no previews available at this time.

tcjacado[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Jun 23, 2018 at 9:51 AM
    Mista_G

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    My wife is somewhat anti gun, well anti AR of any type. I own about 10-15 guns, all in the garage gun safe. She now asked if we could get a small gun safe for a hand gun in the house. My response, abso-freaking-lutely. I've never had knife training, but I more than capable with a hand gun/rifle. Gotta get her hand gun certified and we are in business.

The next thing is to figure out the location of the safe. Would love to hear thoughts on people that already have them in the house. I am thinking bedroom as that is somewhere you can run to, but also if I am in my living room and then have to run to my bedroom, seems like wasted seconds. But, would love to hear from people who have more experience/training.

EatSleepTacos[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Jun 23, 2018 at 9:53 AM
    EatSleepTacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    I was actually just thinking about that as I’m sitting here on my couch. I spend most time here, and my bedroom is on my next floor up.

The solution I just thought of is to have one on each floor. My handgun can be under my coffee table on a gun magnet and a shotgun upstairs next to the bed.

It’s only my wife and I so an unsecured handgun under the table isn’t a problem, but you’d obviously need a safe.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  18. Jun 23, 2018 at 10:42 AM
    ArmandHammer83

ArmandHammer83 This truck is AMAZING

Member:
    First Name:
    Raymond
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma AC V6 MT 4x4
    none yet
    I was in the Army traveling from Alabama to Washington for my new Duty station of Ft. Lewis driving alone with everything i own in my post deployment present to myself '07 Taco for a 22 yr old this was a great adventure and would recommend it to anyone. I made it into Baker City, Oregon around 2 am and i pulled over to check my paper road Atlas i bought from a truck stop before i left, yes i know GPS was available but all my money was going to be spent on the trip because fuck it i had almost 3 weeks to get to my destination.. anyway i pulled over and found a laundrymat that i thought was empty and cleared of all weirdos and dumbasses ( i rode around for 20 minutes looking for anyone that might be walking around or sleeping or even in the laudnrymat) so after i looked around and didn't see anyone i pulled up next to the building since it had lights on inside and i could get out and stretch and look at my map.. i got out let down the tailgate and sat the map down along with my gatorade and chips, as soon as i set the chips down this guy with a set of dog tags around his neck and black electrical tape on his fingertips walked up and leaned against my truck like i'd known him my whole life.. being from the south a mans truck is not a leaning post or a prop unless he's been your best damn friend since middle school..i asked the 50ish old white dude What the actual fuck he was doing and he pulled out a knife and demanded i open all my shit in the bed and give him my money and cards..i laughed and pulled out my just bought 1911 .45 and told him he can have it when he can make me.. the look on the dudes face was epic..he said sorry and the he made a mistake while he was running off i asked if he can give me some directions...he did not..as soon as i stopped hearing running feet i hopped back in the truck and drove 40 minutes down the road to look at the map again...lessons learned from all sides i guess...mine was never go to a place you don't know even if there is light and even if you look its not always free of people

19. Jun 24, 2018 at 7:37 AM
    Old Marine Cal

Old Marine Cal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM DBLCAB

My wife was adamant against any guns 8n the house 4 yrs ago.

After 4 home invasions and or armed robberies in the area, we had a discussion.
    I explained that we only get a single choice these days, whether or not we are going to be a victim or defend ourselves.

After some time, three months, she told me to go get a gun.

Faster forward, safe upstairs with a loaded gun, 2 extra mags, safe downstairs with loaded pistols, and a pistol on me everywhere but the shower.

Now, she asks if I remembered my gun.

Don't force her, but expose her to all the facts.
    Thanks to Moonbeam letting criminals out, no one is truly safe anymore.

20. Jun 24, 2018 at 8:26 AM
    Mista_G

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    Thanks for sharing. Damn 4 home invasions/armed robberies in one area...that’s rough.

I’m thinking one safe in our bedroom and one safe somewhere in the communal living area, thinking the kitchen as there are lots of cubbards unused and you can view both my front and back window from there.

Products Discussed in

To Top