1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Share your “Someone tried to rob you” stories

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Mista_G, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Jun 28, 2018 at 7:40 AM
    Blais03

Blais03 Guess I'll bring a spare wheel bearing...

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Easthampton MA
    Vehicle:
    '08 Reg. Cab 4WD + '06 Reg. Cab 2WD
    That face paint is great :rofl:

Glad you and the fam are safe

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Mista_G[OP] likes this.
  2. Jun 28, 2018 at 8:05 AM
    TACOVRD

TACOVRD I Identify As A Prius

Member:
    First Name:
    TW Addict
    AZ/WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 T4R ORP - Formerly 2013 DCSB OR Spruce Mica
    Workin' on it....
    I’d run away from you waving a sword!

Riding Dirty and nDub like this.
  3. Jul 4, 2018 at 5:25 PM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    EatSleepTacos[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jul 4, 2018 at 5:53 PM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    You can't have safes and guns everywhere. Well, you can, but when the door gets kicked in there's no time to go to it. My solution is a bag. Stays next to me at all times. I keep an extra mag, flashlight, knife etc in it and can toss my phone right in if needed.

bag.jpg
    bag1.jpg

5. Jul 4, 2018 at 6:01 PM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
    Not a robbing....

Way back on my early 20's (I'm 47 now), I had an incident on the highway where this guy was tailgating me, then passing me, then giving me break jobs. As any typical 20yr old would react, I was pissed and was highbeaming him back and giving him break jobs.

After a few repetitions of this, he got next to me and I saw a revolver pointed at me. I flipped out rolled my window down and called (yelled) him a &@$! chicken shit coward and a few other things. He lowered it and passed me and sped away.

I got off a few exits later to gas up and his car was at the station parked near the building, but I didn't see him. As I was gassing up he got into his car and slowly drove by me and stopped and pulled out the revolver again waving it with his arm extended, but not pointed at me. I don't know why I wasn't scared, but I was enraged. He was only about 6' from my and I leaped and knocked the revolver out of his hand and picked it up. He was in his 30's I'd guess.

He took off, but I got his plate # and called the police. They showed up and I gave them the revolver and reported the entire incident. They picked him up soon after and after all was settled they charged him with Aggravated Assault with a firearm.

The revolver was a fully loaded 357 magnum.

Looking back, what I did wasn't very smart...but I'm glad it all worked out for the better. I'm a pretty mellow, level headed guy and never seek trouble, but when pushed into a corner or seriously threatened, things change.

Mista_G[OP], nDub and EatSleepTacos like this.
  6. Jul 4, 2018 at 6:41 PM
    cruxofthebisquit

cruxofthebisquit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Orange Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 TRD
    OME and worth every penny.
    It would have been a hard choice to call cops or keep a .357

tcjacado likes this.
  7. Jul 4, 2018 at 7:14 PM
    Hobbs

Hobbs Anti-Lander from way back…

Member:
    Yep…
    Vehicle:
    Rock Bangen', Desert Tamin', Gold Findin' Machine!
    @Mista_G I am glad you and your family are safe. It could have easily gone another way...

It's a shame law-abiding citizens have to deal with people like this.

Mista_G[OP] likes this.
  8. Jul 17, 2018 at 4:26 PM
    Mista_G

Mista_G [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    Kings F/R 2.5" EXT w/700lb springs, JD Fab UCA’s w/ Lower Pivot Kit, Icon Progressive AAL (with TSB and overload in), CB drop, 285/75-17 nitto ridge grapplers, SCS Deep Dish Ray Dimes, Snugtop Rebel Shell, Prinsu Toprac, Gibson SS Catback Exhaust, ATH front /rear steel bumpers, CVT awning, Airflow snorkel, @ Shmellmopwho sliders, SC w/ @justdsm HPtune, 3° Cam Gears @mightytacoman, 2.8 smooth flow pulley, StopTech BBK
    Little update. I’ve decided to put a small gun safe in the closet in our bedroom for one of my 38’s, loaded. I then am going to keep a 22 in the kitchen, upper shelf, unloaded with a clip next to it. High enough that no little kid will ever reach it, but still super accessible. This seems to be he best option, bedroom one I can easily get to if I hear weird shit st night and kitchen one easily accessible from any room towards the front of the house.

My big fence also just got finished, so amazing compared to what I had before. The privacy is so great.

Thanks for all the well wishes and keep those bad guys at bay everyone.

Still would love to hear more stories of the good guys winning.

9. Jul 17, 2018 at 4:28 PM
    Mista_G

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    Kings F/R 2.5" EXT w/700lb springs, JD Fab UCA’s w/ Lower Pivot Kit, Icon Progressive AAL (with TSB and overload in), CB drop, 285/75-17 nitto ridge grapplers, SCS Deep Dish Ray Dimes, Snugtop Rebel Shell, Prinsu Toprac, Gibson SS Catback Exhaust, ATH front /rear steel bumpers, CVT awning, Airflow snorkel, @ Shmellmopwho sliders, SC w/ @justdsm HPtune, 3° Cam Gears @mightytacoman, 2.8 smooth flow pulley, StopTech BBK
    I hear ya man. But keeping a gun bag next to me with a 3 year old is a lot of awareness and it only takes one moment of slacking to fuck it all up.

tcjacado and EatSleepTacos like this.
  10. Jul 17, 2018 at 4:55 PM
    Blais03

Blais03 Guess I'll bring a spare wheel bearing...

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Easthampton MA
    Vehicle:
    '08 Reg. Cab 4WD + '06 Reg. Cab 2WD
    So a man purse?

11. Jul 17, 2018 at 7:37 PM
    Old Marine Cal

Old Marine Cal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 MGM DBLCAB
    NO

it's a Murse

12. Jul 17, 2018 at 7:43 PM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    Kinda, yeah. But breaking in and making fun of me might be a bad idea :D. Otoh, I can put on my makeup and be looking pretty for the cops when they show up while I'm mopping up blood. But seriously, I gave it a chance because Primary Arms had it on sale for $20 and have found it a very convenient way to keep everything I need at hand. I am a retired leo and worked on a swat team, sitting on the couch with my AR wearing a load vest is a little over the top at home even though it's what I'm used to. The bag just works.

13. Jul 17, 2018 at 7:52 PM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    That's what's great about the bag, you never leave it. But I'll make two points - 1st - if you can leave a .22 out of reach you can also put the bag on a shelf or something if you need to leave it unattended for a minute or two and 2nd - a .22 is not a home defense weapon. Now, before the pissing match starts - no - I would not want to be shot with one, but get a larger caliber weapon, there's just so little stopping power there.

14. Jul 17, 2018 at 8:14 PM
    Kerleyfries

Kerleyfries Idk what the hell I'm doing

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Lebanon
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 F150 and SAS ‘98 4runner
    Very little stopping power, but I have a buddy who shot and killed an intruder with a .22. One bullet in his chest, intruder ran and made it about 30 feet before collapsing and dying in the front yard. Something about .22’s having enough force to enter the body and bounce around, but not enough force to enter AND exit the body. I’d say 2 or 3 .22’s center mass is enough to make anyone re-consider their decision to break in.

That said, I’d never use a .22 for home defense. I’ve got a 9mm that I keep on me at all times and I’m probably going to pick up a 12ga here soon.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  15. Nov 27, 2018 at 8:20 PM
    magikbean562

magikbean562 once flirted with danger, danger got clingy

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    socal
    Vehicle:
    pinto
    33" mudders
    mista g, where abouts in costa mesa do you live? just from the crime im guessing off wilson on the westside lol. i work for the city. glad the fams ok. i havent gotten robbed, but i do have a few 9s lying around the house. the other positive about not having kids. oh and i also have 2 assh*le 65# pit mutts that are almost annoyingly over protective of house and human.

Mista_G[OP] likes this.
  16. Nov 28, 2018 at 1:40 PM
    Mista_G

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    Haha yep Westside. Ever since they cleaned out the Riverbed there have been quite a few more transients around. Sucks cause the Westside is pretty sweet other than that.

17. Nov 28, 2018 at 1:43 PM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    @Mista_G I was just telling a couple of my cop friends about your sword story. They all thought it was funny AF. They all agreed that you should have run him through though...probably would have been justified.

upload_2018-11-28_14-43-43.jpg

Mista_G[OP] likes this.
  18. Nov 28, 2018 at 8:59 PM
    Mista_G

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    Haha I actually just told this story to one of my classes for the first time the other day. One of my rougher classes, with some kids who have hard lives, don’t really care about school. They were talking about how one of them got “run up on” over the weekend. Decided it was a good time to share a story, I like to do that every now and then to help them see I’m a person and don’t just read teacher books all day. Also by me being a little vulnerable, it also sometimes gets kids to open up in class more. some of these kids are Pretty tough to get to know, because they are so guarded.

Anyway, they all loved the story and started cracking up when I showed the picture at the end. Class has definitely had a different vibe since then.

19. Nov 28, 2018 at 10:01 PM
    Markcal

Markcal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Beaner Taco and Old Marine Cal like this.
  20. Oct 31, 2019 at 9:46 PM
    Mista_G

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 DCLB 4x4
    Happy Halloween all. In honor of face paint and justice, who’s been on the good side of the law and banished some criminals lately?
    21C7E529-E43C-4309-9CD2-53B022503EF9.jpg
    I missed the 1 yr anniversary face paint photo. I won’t neglect next year.

Blue Canary, randd, nDub and 3 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top