1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Share Your ARB RD129 Experience

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Nick54, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Apr 20, 2012 at 11:20 AM
    Nick54

Nick54 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    Disclaimer: I have read many threads looking for an answer to this question, is it possible I missed something - yes. If you can point me to a post detailing this – cool.

I recently received the TW GB ARB rear locker for my 2010 Tacoma and have begun reading and re-reading the installation instructions. I was anxiously surprised to see that one step requires a differential spreader which looks like it bolts up to the face flange of the diff/3 member and is used to spread the case to allow for ease of removal of the gears. It is used again when installing the locker to enable the unit to re-install easily. I understand that this tension is required as a bearing pre-load. Can anyone here who has hands on experience with this locker model (RD129) weigh in on this? Is this a necessary evolution in the procedure? If so, where the heck can I find (rent) the spreader as I don't think I want to purchase one. Any shared experience would be greatly appreciated.

2. Apr 20, 2012 at 11:30 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I think it's Advanced Auto that has free tool rental (might be Autozone, can't remember). They might be able to get you one. When I rented a tool from them, they made me buy their rental tool kit for list price and when I returned it they give you your money back. Not a bad deal, works like a security deposit.

3. Apr 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    I will be looking into those stores for rental, hoping someone will chime in with experience as to whether or not it's really needed.

4. Apr 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Hard to believe no one here has ever installed an ARB locker in the 2010 Tacoma. I guess I will have to do a picture write up when I get to it.:cool:

5. May 18, 2012 at 12:59 PM
    transplant

transplant resident know-nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    theo
    Crestline, Ca
    Vehicle:
    89 sr5, 99 OR, 11sport, 14 offroad
    please do, ill be doing this to my 2012 when i get back from the desert.... to my other desert haha

Products Discussed in

To Top