1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shifting from neutral to reverse while driving..

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Karo, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Aug 17, 2010 at 10:19 PM
    Karo

Karo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Karo
    La Crescenta, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Grill
    I really don't understand how you don't see how the driver has TOTAL CONTROL of the moving vehicle when its set to neutral. As long as the driver is focused on his/her surroundings, that's all that is to worry about. Drivers behind you will be fucked if they hit you from behind so they need to keep their 3 car distance rule on check, or pass you or just chill behind you. Other than that, YOU have the entire road in front of you to yourself. You just have to brake and turn the steering wheel if need be.

So how does that make no sense to you?

2. Aug 17, 2010 at 10:40 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Honestly it doesn't matter what anyone thinks, the local laws thinks being in neutral is an out of control state... that's all that really matters in the end :/

FYI, I used to coast in neutral all the time with my manual vehicles, probably still will with my 280z.

3. Aug 17, 2010 at 10:41 PM
    Karo

Member:
    First Name:
    Karo
    La Crescenta, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Grill
    How can they know it's in neutral?

4. Aug 17, 2010 at 10:57 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Modern car's on board computers by federal mandate record 15 seconds (I think it's 15sec) minimum of time as a blackbox for the manufactures to evaluate crash data for further safety improvements and to tattle on you.

5. Aug 17, 2010 at 11:18 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    What about if you need to speed up in order to take an evasive action ?

Sorry , doesn't make any sense to me either .

6. Aug 17, 2010 at 11:40 PM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    No shite?? Damn, i didn't know this. As far as shifting goes, can't you just push in the clutch so you don't have to worry about going into reverse?:cool:

7. Aug 17, 2010 at 11:43 PM
    timbo805

timbo805 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SanDiego
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma trd sport pre-runner
    my floor mat got loose and got stuck with my gas pedal i got panicked out so i tried to shift to neutral but bumped into reverse just a weir noise like when trying to shift to park while still rolling every thing turned out fine took it to the dealer just to make sure.

8. Aug 17, 2010 at 11:48 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    This is what I've always heard: never coast an automatic in neutral because of the lubrication issue.

9. Aug 17, 2010 at 11:52 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    Yep. My GF's dog figured out I was taking it to the park and decided to do a victory lap inside the cab... it definitely shuts off when thrown into reverse while driving forward. It happened real quick, obviously, but I think the ABS kicked on, stopped the truck, then killed the engine, all within 1 second.

10. Aug 17, 2010 at 11:58 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

06BLUEDBLSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra DC SR5 4x4 5.7L
    True Dual Flowmaster 40 Series exhaust, Volant CAI, HIDs, Raptor series Side Steps, Weathertech Floorliners, OME 613 Shocks and Coils with Diff Drop, Rear Bilstein 5100 Shocks, ToyTec AAL, Fearless Fabrication Front Bumper
    my brother accidently hit the shifter in my oldest brothers 99 4Runner and it went from drive to reverse while on a hill. all that happened was the rear axle locked up and he just did a 180

11. Aug 18, 2010 at 12:27 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    It's not going to improve your reaction time. You'll probably even get some engine braking from letting up on the gas before you fully depress the brake pedal.

I've only been driving for about 20 years and somewhere between a quarter and a half million miles, but I have never experienced any situation where I confused the gas and brake pedal, or had any sort of "accidental" confusion or slip between the two.

I'm not saying it couldn't possibly happen, just that in 20 years and a quarter million miles or so I have not experienced it.

12. Aug 18, 2010 at 12:46 AM
    USFCON

USFCON Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Melbourne, Florida
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5 Off Road
    FLM URD Short Shifter Debadged Gate 4 D-ring add on Weathertech floor mats Sport Wheel Swap Color matched Grill Bed lights Air freshner mod AAL Bilstein x 4 Tacolean Spacer Tins Bike Fork Mount Sexy Tires Blacked out Valence

Sometimes when my wife leans over she knocks the shifter out of gear with her shoulder/torso.....Giggity giggity.

No wonder why some cars have the shifter on the dash! :thumbsup:

13. Aug 18, 2010 at 7:09 AM
    mandzach

mandzach Well-Known Member

Member:
    How so?

14. Aug 19, 2010 at 1:10 AM
    Karo

Member:
    First Name:
    Karo
    La Crescenta, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Grill
    Can you please rephrase that? I don't quite understand what is being said...:confused:

15. Aug 19, 2010 at 2:46 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Your actually going to have less control in neutral than in drive because you won't benefit from engine braking no matter how slight it may be it helps...

16. Aug 19, 2010 at 4:02 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    In an accident, the vehicle stores data about the conditions of the accident. Throttle, brake, seat occupants, engine state, transmission state, etc.

Toyota can then go look at that 'snapshot' of data. And, with a subpoena, so can law enforcement.

17. Aug 19, 2010 at 4:08 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Wow..to the OP, if you think coasting in neutral will give you more control, you are way off the mark. For one if you're trying to brake, law of physics come into play. The resistance in the gears in your transmission turning the driveline will help slow down your vehicle. Second our Tacoma's automatics are programmed to help use the engine to slow your vehicle down. I hope you don't ever put your truck in neutral while hauling a load in the bed of your truck, this can accelerate the wear of your brakes, and on a steep decent you can suffer brake fading and lose control of your brakes all together. With your truck in neutral, what happens if you need to immediately accelerate, say going down a hill and there's some debris in the lane you are in, and you need to acclelerate to move over, that split second putting your truck back into D may be all that seperates you from an accident.

If you still feel you have control over your vehicle in neutral after all the inputs in this thread it may benefit you to take a defensive driving course.

18. Aug 19, 2010 at 5:54 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Well now...that can't be the case. The engine would just stop then and everything would die (like turning off the ignition.)

I'd think it would give just enough to keep it at an idle.

19. Aug 19, 2010 at 6:26 AM
    xsvt

xsvt Active Member

Member:
    the other day backing out of a dive way onto a steep hill i shifted from R do D and gave it gas. I got a loud gear striping grinding noise. so i shifted back inoto R then D and it was fine. andy ideas?

20. Aug 19, 2010 at 6:27 AM
    BritMike

BritMike Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    10 Black TRD OR
    The engine is being turned by the transmission, its not going to stall out.

The ECU may give the engine a little bit of gas when coasting downhill but it would only be if it thought it was necessary for emissions. (e.g. before the cat has warmed up (caviat, example pulled out of my ass and maybe be totally wrong))

The Taco autos are built with engine braking as part of the design and with the gated transmission you should change to the gear that holds the speed you want without using the brakes (if possible). There's nothing wrong with shifting to even 3rd or 2nd and the engine revs going up to 4k if its holding the desired speed on the descent.

Products Discussed in

To Top