1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shifting hard?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Mxer256, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Mar 25, 2013 at 6:55 PM
    Troutbum18

Troutbum18 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2000 Prerunner
    Thought I'd come back to this. I had my mechanic check it out, and of course it wouldn't shift hard when they test drove it. That being said, nothing showed up on the computer either. He said it was about a quart low of transmission fluid, but could not find any signs of leaks. My family has gone to this guy for about 25 years, so I trust him. Still seems to shift hard, but I am going to check into AW, as I read the thread about the $15 fix with U-bolts. I'm going to give that a shot and see if that helps.

2. Mar 26, 2013 at 9:35 AM
    SteveFaust

SteveFaust Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    1995 XtraCab XL 2.7 4x4 Auto
    Bilstein 5100 Shocks 4Runner Rearview w/ Cabin & Map Lights Apline Head unit with Bluetooth 16" TRD OEM Wheels w/ BFGs
    Like Janster said, pull the dipstick while the truck is running (on a level surface) and check fluid color and level. Low fluid could be causing some of these symptoms so if color/smell is okay but low top it off (not too much) and see what you get. If it is discolored you will want to exchange the fluid. If you're not comfortable doing these, most reputable transmission shops will do a transmission check for you for free or small fee (usually under $50 or so).

Products Discussed in

To Top