1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shifting hesitation

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Esteem, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Jun 27, 2012 at 10:24 PM
    Esteem

Esteem [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD
    I've searched around and read various threads but didn't really find many solutions to what seems like a semi common problem. When driving at lower rpms or going up a hill, my truck will hesitates to find the next gear. If I put it in 4 or shift it manually, there is no issue at all. My truck is a 2007 Prerunner 4.0 with an automatic transmission. Has 110,000 miles on the truck. Several threads talked about unplugging the battery to reset the computer or flush the transmission to make sure it is filled correctly but most the threads died off and no decent idea or solution came up. Anybody have a solution that has worked to solve this or a new idea? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Jun 28, 2012 at 2:37 PM
    2011Streaker

2011Streaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB TRD Sport
    its probably just the computer waiting to see if youre gonna stomp on it again or cruise. holding the gear to see if youre gonna cruise or accel. mine has 10k miles on it and has done it since new. id try the battery route if its concerns you and have it relearn your habits. mine does it most noticeably when i slow down and make a turn onto a street that is down hill. takes it a while to shift into the appropriate gear to cruise.

3. Jun 28, 2012 at 2:44 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Throttle position sensor may be crapping out or need adjustment. I'm betting the TPS is dying.[​IMG]

4. Sep 15, 2014 at 11:42 AM
    HB2010

HB2010 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD sport package double cab
    Mine is a 2005 V6 Auto with 118k on it. It is doing the same specially at around 1750 RPM if I do not push hard on the gas then it feels it really can't decide to shift or not shift. Therefore when I push harder on the gas pedal it initially runs with a hesitation and with an unusual trembling (shacking) acceleration for a short few second and then it shifts. The shacking and trembling is like it is either not enough gas or not getting right amount of oxygen. I sure would like to have this issue solved.
    Mine has TRD sport package if that makes any difference.

Products Discussed in

To Top