1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shifting into neutral kills tranny! What?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KENNESAWTACO, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Apr 10, 2010 at 5:24 PM
    packrobottom

packrobottom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pack
    Vehicle:
    Sky Silver SR5 DC v6 with sport mods
    interesting read mastertech. Let me ask you something. What Specifically are the benefits of adaptive transmissions. Just curious.

2. Apr 10, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    ASE_MasterTech

ASE_MasterTech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Monmouth County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Sport DBL\Cab
    Wet Okole seat covers, Westin Platinum Oval tube steps, Rear spring TSB plus Super Springs, D-Rings in all bed bolts, Tailgate reinforcement mod (for loading Harley)
    Well, I'll answer your question with a question..

What are the benefits of 'learning to adapt'?

3. Apr 10, 2010 at 6:53 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:

I'm pretty versed on getting good mileage out of my truck. I think you're talking apples to oranges.

If you have a long way to coast on a steep enough grade where you never have to accelerate while in neutral (like the long downhills on 15 back from Vegas) then you will get better mileage in neutral.

However, if you're coasting a shorter distance (say, just coming up to a stop at the bottom of a short hill) then leaving it in gear and cutting the injectors will win since you were going to have to stop anyway (no loss of fuel due to "extra" acceleration).

4. Apr 10, 2010 at 8:45 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Look, you've been corrected, if you choose to no believe, that's your choice. FACTS about the Tacoma:

1. The A750F and A750E transmission continues to pump in neutral (and park I believe), lubrication flow and valve body pressure is still supplied while in neutral.
    2.The flow through the cooler is regulated based on the temperature of the fluid.
    You are guessing, and arguing when you don't really know.

5. Apr 10, 2010 at 9:01 PM
    packrobottom

Member:
    First Name:
    Pack
    Vehicle:
    yah I gathered that the transmission adapts to your driving habits just couldn't was think what a real world beneficial example would be.

6. Apr 10, 2010 at 9:04 PM
    packrobottom

Member:
    First Name:
    Pack
    Vehicle:
    So it would seem based on random ppl on the interwebs that shifting in and out of nuetral and 75 on the freeway isn't bad for your tranny?

7. Apr 10, 2010 at 9:17 PM
    Wrencher86

Wrencher86 Active Member

Member:
    Chicago, Il
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 5Spd Reg. Cab 4cyl.
    If you put a car in neutral up in the air the drive wheels will still spin (slowly). Pressure is released from the clutch packs, but things are still rubbing on other things enough to transfer a small amount of movement through the trans. Also, it has been stated several times before by other people (who work on cars everyday, for a living) that oil flow IS NOT cut off from the cooler when in neutral.

8. Apr 10, 2010 at 9:25 PM
    carmellocafe

carmellocafe Begin With The End In Mind.

Member:
    First Name:
    KEVIN
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD OR Access cab longbed
    There you have it! Yep!

9. Apr 10, 2010 at 10:33 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    Right. It is a precision instrument. and like ASE said:
    packrobottom, If you drive your truck a certain way, that is unique to you, then the ECT will learn your driving habits and adjust to you. Therefore it should not matter if you drive in neutral down long grades. It will adapt. :laugh: You'll save gas. :thumbsup:

To each his own.

10. Apr 11, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    Wolfman

Wolfman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Paradise, TX
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner SR5
    So, you are telling me, that when I was splicing a trans temp gauge into two different vehciles, that I did not personally observe fluid stop flowing to the tranny coolers when I selected neutral on the shifter?

11. Apr 11, 2010 at 9:00 PM
    Wrencher86

Wrencher86 Active Member

Member:
    Chicago, Il
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 5Spd Reg. Cab 4cyl.
    So.. in other words you don't really know how an auto trans works.

Do we really need to continue this discussion? :frusty:

12. Apr 12, 2010 at 3:22 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    You're really stinking up the joint. You do not know what you're talking about. Educate yourself, then engage in a meaningful discusion. Geez.
    It doesn't matter what you have seen in the past, if you insist on being right when your wrong, fine. Go warm up your truck, drive around, put your truck in neutral and pull a cooler line. Make sure you have someone film that debacle. KRIKEY!!!

13. Nov 29, 2013 at 7:23 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    most auto transmission vehicle manuals will tell you not to flat tow without removing the driveshaft (people still do it anyway) This is because if the transmission isnt turning from the engine side, the bearings are not being lubricated. Yeah you can do it, but you will be shortening the life of the bearings just the same way when you coast in N down a hill.

14. Dec 1, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    Hugh Morron

Hugh Morron Manic Mechanic

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Schuylkill County, PA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB SR5 4X4 Barcelona Red Metallic
    ARE Cap, AVS Bugdeflector II, AVS Ventshades, DTRL delete, ABS/VSC/TRAC disable, Toyota LSD with clutchpacks, N-Fab Lightbar, Hella 700ff lights
    I put my truck in neutral to keep it from downshjfting into third gear at 60 mph(I can't stand this feature). When you are traveling downhill and just want to try and maintain speed(slow slightly) within 5 seconds bang you're in 3rd with tach over 3k. While doing this I have never seen any indication of the tranny overheating. Wouldn't the trans temp light come on if this was overheating the tranny ? Also isn't it helpful to put the trans in neutral when trying to stop on slippery surfaces like snow and ice so that your truck isn't pushing you at the same time. I do understand that it is illegal in most states to coast in neutral but I am not doing it for extended periods of time.

15. Dec 1, 2013 at 8:39 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Unbelievable ??????

16. Dec 1, 2013 at 10:39 AM
    dilligaff82

dilligaff82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB

That stupid feature is a big part of why I got rid of my last Tacoma and bought a manual tranny this time.

Also, I have shifted into neutral when idling with all of the automatic transmission equipped vehicles I've owned in the past and never had a problem. You'd think if this was actually an issue there would be something about it in the owners manual. I've NEVER heard of such a thing with ANY vehicle.

17. Dec 1, 2013 at 10:42 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I like the engine braking feature , and it doesn't shift from TC locked. 5th down to 3rd

18. Dec 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM
    peiscooter

peiscooter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Prince Edward Island
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    So.......If you are towing your boat through hilly roads and come to a roadblock or something, you are stopped for a while, do you put it in Park or Neutral?? Or keep it in D

( to cool the tranny down)

19. Dec 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    When I first started learning how to drive standard I would cruise in neutral. There was a lot of hills where I lived. I realize now that I was just lazy. I had found out not too long after I stopped doing it that, I found that it's illegal to cruise in neutral(where I live). They said that you are not in control of your vehicle when it's not in gear.

So for some of you who do this. You may want to rethink on doing it. It's not only dangerous but you could get a ticket(if it's illegal where you live) if you are caught doing this.

20. Dec 1, 2013 at 4:53 PM
    Hugh Morron

Hugh Morron Manic Mechanic

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Schuylkill County, PA
    Vehicle:
    12 DCLB SR5 4X4 Barcelona Red Metallic
    ARE Cap, AVS Bugdeflector II, AVS Ventshades, DTRL delete, ABS/VSC/TRAC disable, Toyota LSD with clutchpacks, N-Fab Lightbar, Hella 700ff lights
    Sorry OZ-T, you are correct. It does not shift directly from 5th to 3rd. It does go into 4th in between. But it only takes about 5 seconds after you hit the brakes until you are in 3rd. I don't want to confuse anyone. I should have explained better.

Products Discussed in

To Top