1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

shop for trans service

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by cromag27, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Sep 28, 2020 at 5:29 PM
    cromag27

cromag27 [OP] THE insurance expert - licensed in all 50 states

Member:
    First Name:
    dexter morgan (matt)
    phx-ish
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd off road dcsb
    my 2011 has just under 100k miles and i’d like to get the trans oil changed soon. any recommendations for ev shops?

was going to have iconic tire do it with an alignment, but the owner had no idea there was anything special that had to be done for tacomas. that scared me into thinking twice about using them.

2. Sep 28, 2020 at 5:32 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Try Toyota

3. Sep 28, 2020 at 9:24 PM
    Jon64l

Jon64l Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    2000 4runner, 1996 Tacoma
    I believe you are not supposed to change it. WS stands for World Standard and is listed as a "lifetime" transmission fluid.

Screenshot_20200928-212214_Chrome.jpg

4. Sep 28, 2020 at 9:27 PM
    Shellshock

Shellshock King Shit of Turd Island

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra TRD PRO / 2024 GRC Circuit
    It’s easy to do yourself. There’s write ups on here.

5. Sep 29, 2020 at 10:13 AM
    therealprotaco

therealprotaco Always Skeptical

Member:
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock Tundra TRD PRO DC
    Matt, just use Toy Pros in Mesa. Contact @state48overland and let them know that I sent you.

state48overland likes this.
  6. Sep 29, 2020 at 11:26 AM
    cytocycle

cytocycle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expedition Build - 2012 TRD Off-Road
    4.88, Radflo 2.5" Resi,ARB Front Bumper with fogs, TJM 9,000 synthetic rope winch with Pro-Link, AllPro Bolt on Sliders with fill plates, Asfir Aluminum Front Skid, Mid Skid, Gas Skid, Transfer Skid, AllPro Shackle flip kit with Timbern, CBI HC rear Bumper, Rigid Mesh Grill with 20" LED bar, White Sport Grill Opening, ARB Dual Compressors and 2 gallons of air tanks for air tools, Dakar Leaf Pack+2,front sway bar delete, Camburg UCA's, Stainless Steel Brake Lines on all wheels fixed mushy brakes, UltraGuage
    It maybe life time oil but if you don’t use a scanguage or ultragauge to monitor trans temp you can cook the oil and then it’s pretty worthless. I have had Toyota dealer do it every 40k because of how I use my truck. Your mileage may vary. The dealer has the machine to flush and fill it versus just draining what you can and mixing in some new fluid.

7. Sep 29, 2020 at 11:29 AM
    cromag27

cromag27 [OP] THE insurance expert - licensed in all 50 states

Member:
    First Name:
    dexter morgan (matt)
    phx-ish
    Vehicle:
    2011 trd off road dcsb
    yeah what is considered “lifetime”. i know enough not to fall for that.

cytocycle[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Sep 29, 2020 at 11:40 AM
    therealprotaco

Member:
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    “Lifetime” = “1 day past the period of time component this fluid is supposed to lubricate is under warranty”

cytocycle likes this.
  9. Sep 29, 2020 at 1:19 PM
    cytocycle

cytocycle Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Expedition Build - 2012 TRD Off-Road
    4.88, Radflo 2.5" Resi,ARB Front Bumper with fogs, TJM 9,000 synthetic rope winch with Pro-Link, AllPro Bolt on Sliders with fill plates, Asfir Aluminum Front Skid, Mid Skid, Gas Skid, Transfer Skid, AllPro Shackle flip kit with Timbern, CBI HC rear Bumper, Rigid Mesh Grill with 20" LED bar, White Sport Grill Opening, ARB Dual Compressors and 2 gallons of air tanks for air tools, Dakar Leaf Pack+2,front sway bar delete, Camburg UCA's, Stainless Steel Brake Lines on all wheels fixed mushy brakes, UltraGuage
    Exactly! I had an Audi and they had sealed transmissions with lifetime oil. What was brutal is when people did change the oil, they would remove all the floating clutch material in the oil and suddenly the plates didn't have enough friction to grip and the transmission would stop shifting and require a $$$ rebuild.

10. Sep 29, 2020 at 1:51 PM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    The vast majority of vehicles on the road will be in the scrapyard for other reasons long before the transmission dies with the factory fluid still in it. Unless you get it too hot by towing at or over the tow rating, and do it in mountains. Otherwise expect at least 400,000 miles on factory fluid on a Tacoma, and many other vehicles. Some transmissions are known to fail earlier, changing the fluid in any of them doesn't make them last any longer. If you let the fluid get too hot you've already fried the transmission, changing the fluid later won't save it. In fact it will speed up the failure, keeping the old fluid in there will buy you some more time.

I've been driving since 1973, never had a transmission serviced and never had any issues. Took several of them past 200,000. Currently at 207,000 on my 07 Tacoma. The money spent on a fluid change every 40K or 50K will just about pay for to have the transmission rebuilt at 400K. I'm going to save my money to pay for a rebuild down the road. If I keep it long enough to need it.

Transmission FLUID isn't oil. It's basically hydraulic pump fluid. Lubrication isn't it's primary purpose. And it doesn't get dirty like engine oil.

11. Sep 30, 2020 at 9:47 AM
    therealprotaco

Member:
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Lubrication IS one of its necessary purposes (whether primary or not) and it DOES burn and break down which affects its ability to lubricate. If you are cool never changing your transmission fluid that's fine. I off road frequently in 4L which keeps RPM up, tow frequently through mountains, and am happy to get the black fluid out and red fluid back in.

cytocycle likes this.
  12. Oct 13, 2020 at 2:17 PM
    bkrdave36

bkrdave36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Wittmann,AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner Double Cab Black
    Daystar 3 inch lift, Icon Stage 3 Rear Leaf Springs, Durobump bump stops,Bilstein 5125 shocks, BFG All Terrain KO2 Tires, Avid Light bar and step rails, Victory 4x4 bed rack with Tepui Ayer Rooftop Tent, Anytime Fog light mod, Outside Air Temp Gauge mod, ImMrYo Rearview Mirror mod, Chinese Knockoff LED lights, Body Armor 4x4 Offroad Swingout rear tire carrier and bumper, Victory 4x4 Bed Stiffeners, Rattle can Custom Camo paint stripe, Truxedo Lo Pro tonneau cover, various Blue Ridge Overland Gear storage solutions in cab, thats it so far .... to be continued!
    Anyone know of any shops in the west valley (Surprise) area that does rebuilds? I got 350K miles on my trans.

Products Discussed in

To Top