1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shopping for a 4 Cylinder Tacoma (MPG)

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Hadoken, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Jul 15, 2008 at 12:28 PM
    Hadoken

Hadoken [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Hey all, first post here.

I'm looking into buying a Tacoma this fall and had some questions that I couldn't find answers to elsewhere.

I have decided on a 4 cyl since I'm not buying a truck for hauling; the most I'll haul is bikes, camping equipment and maybe the odd load of mulch every now and then. My main question is, does anyone have any real MPG numbers from a 4 cylinder access cab PRERUNNER? I know all of the EPA estimates are from a standard 4 cylinder and I was wondering how much the added weight of the access cab prerunner dropped the MPG.

With the current situation I just don't think I can justify buying a new vehicle that gets lower than 25 mpg with 80% hwy 20% city.

Thanks for anyone with answers!

2. Jul 15, 2008 at 12:57 PM
    Al Swearengen

Al Swearengen Old Noob

Member:
    TRD Toyota rugged trail off road package.
    i get that in my 08 double cab 6 cylinder but i drive like an old grand ma. :D

you should have no problems getting that kind of mpg in that vehicle.

3. Jul 15, 2008 at 2:00 PM
    HardCase

HardCase Winter is coming.

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Kalispell, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma (Inferno) TRDOR 4x4 DCLB
    I don't think you'll have trouble getting 25mpg with a 2wd Taco doing 80/20 highway/city, assuming that you don't install the lead-foot mod.

4. Jul 16, 2008 at 3:48 PM
    Turbonium

Turbonium I wanna haul stuff

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 4x2 Access Cab w/SnugTop
    Mods? What's a mod? Bone stock, baby. Well, okay. Maybe a few smallish mods. If you count a locking gas cap, coin holder and a behind-the-seat trash bag.
    I'm not sure if this helps you or not, but I have a 4-cylinder Access Cab, manual transmission (not a PreRunner). This is on mixed city/highway. I measured the fuel going in at the pump and did the math by marking down my mileage at the appropriate times.

I'm posting because I have an Access Cab, though the lack of it being a PreRunner may invalidate my results for you.

Keep in mind that this vehicle is new, has only 1000 miles on it (so there's no room for calculating over an extended time), is still being broken-in, and most importantly, is using California regular SUMMER GAS (read: 10% ethanol), which kills my mileage.

I drive like a regular person. I'm not lead-footed, but I'm not hypermile'ing either. I've slowed down with the gas price thing, but not so much that people stare at me.

I'm getting 21.4 mpg. :p

I expect this to improve over time.

5. Jul 16, 2008 at 4:09 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Smart, glad to see someone with wallet in mind. My wife said she is going to wait for an electric car before her next purchase.

6. Jul 16, 2008 at 5:28 PM
    6th toyota

6th toyota Member

Member:
    Houston tx
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner debagged - 2.7 sr5
    i Have 2500 miles on my pre- runner 4 cyl. I live in houston, tx. I have gotten 19.5 in the city and 22 on the highway.

7. Jul 16, 2008 at 5:41 PM
    TexasKyle

TexasKyle New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Taco
    I bought my 2007 Prerunner Access Cab 2.7L 4-cyl for the same reasons you listed. I have been very pleased with the switch to the Taco after many years of driving 4x4 F150s (although I do miss the room in the cab sometimes, but it's still very comfortable after 56,000 miles.)

I drive probably 90% highway and average about 3,700 miles per month. I have changed my driving habits and shift a little easier (manual transmission) and accelerate a little more slowly and this seems to help. I don't have cruise control (just haven't taken the time to have it installed) but I think this would also help me with the mileage.

I kept up with my MPG over about 7,000 miles and averaged 22.4 MPG and this was mostly driving 70-75 mph. I recently took a 1500 mile trip and averaged 26 MPG with some mountain driving in lower gears getting me as high as 28.7 MPG during that trip. I recently tried to keep my speed below 70 mph during daily driving and on that particular tank, around 440 miles, I saw 24.7 MPG. I hope this helps.

8. Jul 16, 2008 at 6:06 PM
    blackonwhite

blackonwhite Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 white tacoma black 17' ssr wheels
    i have a 06 4 cyl 5 speed single cab 2 wheel drive... i am getting around 27 miles to the gallon in town and about 30 on the highway... Its actually pretty good for the way i drive and the pep the truck has...if i kept my foot out of it i could probably even get better .. I didnt get the truck to save money but i dont spend all that much in gas.... the only thing i do is no matter what i run premium gas which where i live the highest i can get is 93 octane.... i ran one tank of regular through it and you can definitely tell a huge difference in power and acceleration compared to the premium... and for only ten cents more a gallon it doesnt amount to that much when you fill up... i dont know where you live or how much the gas is there but if you can afford it i would definitely consider running premium at least once or twice to see if you notice a difference in mpg ... and the largest thing i have hauled on it is a 400ex fourwheeler and a bunch of camping stuff and i didnt really notice a difference in the mileage at all...far as i can tell it would handle just about whatever you wanted to throw in it

9. Jul 16, 2008 at 6:43 PM
    mcollins

mcollins Member

Member:
    Grants Pass, OR
    Vehicle:
    05 4.0L, TRD, SR5, black
    3" lift, 33" toyo m/t, k&n intake,
    Even with fuel prices skyrocketing, I would highly recommend the 4.0L. With careful driving you will see similar gas mileage, because that 4 cylinder has to work much harder to do the same work, even daily driving. And, the 4 is just underpowered. Test drive both, I think you'll really see a difference, without sacrificing fuel economy.

10. Jul 16, 2008 at 7:55 PM
    altifron

altifron Well-Known Member

Member:
    toronto,ontario(G.T.A)
    Vehicle:
    07 access cab
    dtrl mod
    i have the 4.0 and unless you punch the gas the gas guage doesnt move practly been getting good miliage but no numbers yet ive been going around dirt roads the beach muddy hills so no accurate reading

11. Jul 17, 2008 at 12:59 AM
    tacoskim

tacoskim Tuned By Gadget

Member:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    Stock
    if u granny it on a 4.0 with straight through upgrades u can get 25mpg. but thats really granny it :evil: it can easily be done on a 4 banger

12. Jul 17, 2008 at 3:15 AM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    If you're concerned about gas mileage the only logical answer is the 5 lug 2.7L truck. in either regular or access cab. With the good weather here I've been getting 28MPG+

13. Jul 17, 2008 at 6:23 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I agree.

Also, do not get a 4 cylinder PreRunner for Fuel Economy. With the 4.10 rear differential the 4 cylinder PreRunner gets horrible gas mileage. I am actually getting better fuel economy out of my V6 Double Cab Long Bed PreRunner than I did out of my 4 cylinder.

If you go with the 4 cylinder and need the extra height - get the 4x4, its worth the extra money and gets about the same fuel economy.

If you are looking for fuel economy and a truck - go with the 5 lug. Trust me, you won't regret it.

14. Jul 18, 2008 at 7:40 AM
    Hadoken

Hadoken [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Thanks for all of the great replies, I was afraid that the Prerunner wouldn't get anywhere near the gas mileage of the regular I4.

This is a great little community you guys have here, and hopefully I will be joining it properly soon!

15. Jul 18, 2008 at 5:53 PM
    6th toyota

6th toyota Member

Member:
    Houston tx
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner debagged - 2.7 sr5
    How come toyota is so far off on what the v-6 gets mileage wise ?

16. Jul 18, 2008 at 7:55 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^They aren't "off". They quote what a typical driver would obtain. There are many highs and lows in this equation. For example, I get 17-18mpg city/22-23 hwy. I believe mine was 17 city/21 hwy on the window sticker but there are others with the same truck getting much worse or even better.

17. Jul 21, 2008 at 4:59 PM
    pm955

pm955 New Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5
    +1

Hadoken, I've got 39,000 mile on the very same truck you are looking at, and I use it the same way you intend to do yourself except that my driving is closer to 80% city/20% hwy.

First tank I got a little over 18 mpg, but economy quickly improved with break-in. Now I regularly see 21.5 - 22.5 mpg in town and 24 - 25 on the highway. Best ever is a little over 26 mpg while cruising the backroads at @ 60-65 mph.

I've never done anything special to achieve these numbers - I usually drive 5 over the speed limit, don't granny-shift and don't pretend there are eggshells on the gas pedal.

The 2.7 is a fine motor and it works very well in the Prerunner. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

18. Jul 21, 2008 at 6:21 PM
    StompinStu

StompinStu Active Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Access Cab I4 5 speed
    I have a 2006 Access Cab PreRunner 4 cl 5 speed. EPA sticker said 20/27. My driving is as you describe, 80% hwy. I set the cruise at 70, coast in neutral to lights, am easy on the throttle, don't downshift. My MPG after three tanks since I bought the truck has ranged from 19.9 to 21.9. Each tank has gotten better than the last.

I just ordered an AFE dry filter, and will air up the tires to 35 PSI to see how that does. All in all, I am happy with the truck. I am, however, disappointed with the economy of it. It is better than the Jeep TJ I had though, so it's a step in the right direction.

19. Jul 21, 2008 at 6:42 PM
    StompinStu

StompinStu Active Member

Member:
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Access Cab I4 5 speed
    What is the difference between 5 and 6 lug models?

20. Jul 21, 2008 at 7:31 PM
    Roland

Roland My other ride has sails

Member:
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    06 Impulse Red I4 2WD Access Cab
    UnderCover Tonneau, Bed mat, Bug Deflector, aFe Pro Dry S, Secondary Air Filter removed, Synthetic 5W-30 oil, Scanguage II with blendmount, WeatherTech floorliners, Toyota seat covers, Installed OEM intermittent wipers, TacomaWorld sticker, Defrost without AC mod, Hidden Hitch
    suspension, wheels, tires and maybe gear ratio(?)

Products Discussed in

To Top