1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Short Driver Needs Advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tej, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Feb 11, 2009 at 12:43 PM
    Tej

Tej [OP] New Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    99% sure I'll get Taco 2WD
    Hi All,

I'm new here, and joined because I'm 99% sure I'll soon decide to buy a 2009 Tacoma 2WD regular cab, regular bed pickup with a manual transmission. I really like this truck, and am going with the regular cab. Because I'm on a budget, I'll be buying the least expensive model, the one with the bench seat.

I stopped at the dealership to see what they had on hand, and had a chance to sit in the model which I'd like to buy. Unfortunately, I was very pressed for time and couldn't stay long, but I was there long enough to determine that I might have trouble depressing the clutch fully. I have short legs, and though I think I had the seat pulled up as far as possible, I couldn't engage the clutch without pulling on the steering wheel to give myself that extra little bit of "height."

I should also add that the gas and brake pedals were fine, as was the steering wheel position I chose with the adjustment. I want to get back to the dealership ASAP but work is keeping me tied up for the next two weeks, and I was hoping some of you with shorter legs could help me. Do you have this problem? Is there any way to adjust the clutch pedal travel to accommodate different folks? Alternatives might be to put on an adaptive pedal of some sort, or to install a cushioned auxiliary seat and back, I suppose. Failing a good position, is my only alternative to take the step up and buy a Taco with bucket seats? Any recommendations?

Thanks much for any help.

Tej

2. Feb 11, 2009 at 12:51 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness
    Why don't you try for a pre-owned one that has more features? i.e. automatic tranny, bench seats, and tilt/telescoping wheel.

3. Feb 11, 2009 at 1:20 PM
    kmrofka

kmrofka Im so hungry i can ride a horse...

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    03 V6 Prerunner SR5
    Stripped down to the frame
    or if you go with that... put blocks on the pedals. im not trying to be a smartass but it cant be safe being that close to the steering wheel

4. Feb 11, 2009 at 1:23 PM
    Rtrn2taco

Rtrn2taco Nostalgia...

Member:
    Philadelphia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC PreRunner (silver)
    I would reccomend to either buy slightly used like stated above or save up a bit more to get the buckets. If your legs are that short and you have the bench adjusted all the way forward the person in the passenger seat who may be taller will be sitting with their knees against the glove box.

5. Feb 11, 2009 at 2:16 PM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    Wow, curious. How short are you? My mom is 5'2" and she can drive my 6peed fine.
    I agree with the other guys that I'd look for one with bucket seats, maybe used if you can't afford new.

6. Feb 11, 2009 at 3:08 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    A few things.

Living in northern NY, i would recommend 4 wheel drive, even if you can't buy new and have to get one with limited miles. The 2 wheel drive is pretty limited when driving in the kind of snow we get here and this applies to several months out of a year.

Agree with others that the bucket seat might be the better way to go due to the height limitations.

Also - Would an Automatic be a better option (also height related) to eliminate the clutch work from the equation?

7. Feb 11, 2009 at 3:51 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    :pKnee implants?

8. Feb 11, 2009 at 10:11 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    I'm sure Matt Roloff can help you out some how? :thumbsup:

9. Feb 12, 2009 at 12:13 AM
    2qwik4u

2qwik4u Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indian Head, MD
    Vehicle:
    09 Regular Cab Prerunner
    ARE Z-series Cap
    The problem with the '09 regular cab is that you can't get the bucket seats anymore, so if you want to go with that route you'll have to get a used 05-08.

As far as clutch pedal travel, the only time that you really need to press ALL the way to the floor is to start the engine. As far as changing gears, I rarely push the pedal more than halfway down, if that far.

One of the only things that I'm really disappointed in the Tacoma is the lack of options available to the regular cab versions. I know that you get a lot more versatility with the Access and Double cabs, but I think that the regular cab looks so much better, so I have to live with no power locks, no power windows, and the bench seat.

10. Feb 12, 2009 at 12:35 AM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Welcome to TW!:)

11. Feb 12, 2009 at 3:47 AM
    RoadKingMoe

RoadKingMoe Member

Member:
    Dayton OH
    Vehicle:
    Once upon a time, a red...
    Toytota grill guard, Lund tonneau cover
    My wife is 4'10" and had a 4 cylinder, stick shift Ford Ranger when we met. She had to drive around with the seat fully forward and the steering wheel on her chest to fully depress the clutch. She would've probably suffered broken ribs and punctured lungs if the air bag ever deployed.

These days she drives an extended cab, long (8') bed, 4WD Powerstroke Diesel F250 with the seat slid back in the same place I use it, with plenty of distance from the wheel. The option that makes this possible is the adjustable pedals (along with a cushion to sit her up higher). I don't know if there are any small trucks that have that, but perhaps you can have a machinist come up with some secure pedal blocks for the Taco.

I STRONGLY agree with the poster who recommended 4WD for ice and snow.

12. Feb 12, 2009 at 7:05 AM
    Tej

Tej [OP] New Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    99% sure I'll get Taco 2WD
    Thanks to everyone for your opinions and views. I have owned 4WDs when my work required I go out every day no matter what the weather, and they're great. But my needs now are modest, so I'll stick with a 2WD.

I'm going to go back to the dealership and give the Taco a thorough sit-in test to be sure I pulled the seat as far forward as it can go. If I can't clutch with the manual, I'm sure I can manage the auto, since I have no problems with the accelerator or brake pedals. The nice thing is that the steering wheel fits very well. Rather than being too close (hate that), it's a comfortable distance away.

Thanks again,

Tej

13. Feb 12, 2009 at 7:07 AM
    TacticalBacon13

TacticalBacon13 Sorry for party rockin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dunk
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra platinum
    baby seat and a muffler
    never put a six inch lift on it then. im 6 3 and it can be a bitch to get in with not step bars.

14. Feb 12, 2009 at 7:44 AM
    Ridingontrd

Ridingontrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Laughlin,N.V
    Vehicle:
    trd sport 4x4 w/towpkg
    aFe prodry,Dynomax ultra flo ss,Scangauge2,Demello front bumper,BudBuilt skids,sliders(local)AllPro rear bumper,Wet O's cobalt blu,w/halfpiping,TRD logo in gold,R/L hood struts,5150's@10"aal 3 pack,T/C uca,Light racing c/o,1"diff.drop,de-badged,
    :wave: Welcome to TW.

15. Feb 12, 2009 at 7:59 AM
    iowa530

iowa530 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab 4X4, TRD
    Hey,

If you would consider a used truck, I have a 2000 ext. cab 2wd that I need to sell. It has <44k mi. My wife is 5' tall and can drive it with no problem. The truck has bucket seats.

Another thing that you might consider is some sort of pedal extenders. I don't mean to insult you, but I have seen them on the TLC show Little People" that is about real life midgets. Probably expensive though.

16. Feb 12, 2009 at 8:28 AM
    luapeloc

luapeloc New Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    06 base sr5 4wd
    I am 5' 4" and have an 06 Regular cab 4wd with the 4 cyl and 5 sp manual with buckets. I wanted an auto so the wife could drive it, but they dont make um. I have no problems with clutch reach, and I didnt want to spend a bundle, mine at the time was 18k, and I got the SE because I didnt like the black plastic with the siver paint on the cheaper models....and if this thing didnt have 4wd it'd go nowhere especially with the type of winter we've had in New England this year..

Products Discussed in

To Top