1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Short Throw Shifter (2.7L) Help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Kyle, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Jul 14, 2010 at 3:06 PM
    Kyle

Kyle [OP] Mckeown343

Member:
    Arcata
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    3 inch toytec, magnaflow exhaust, KNN intake, URD MAF, HID 55 watt, Hella 500 HID, Smoked tail lights LED running lights, Pioneer deck with 8 inch infinity sub, Focal 165VB and 165CVX with JL 320/4, Tinted all around 3%, Tinted interior lights.
    Has anyone done a write up on the install for this? Just got one and wanted to see how the install worked out. thanks!

2. Jul 14, 2010 at 3:26 PM
    Kyle

Kyle [OP] Mckeown343

Member:
    Arcata
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    3 inch toytec, magnaflow exhaust, KNN intake, URD MAF, HID 55 watt, Hella 500 HID, Smoked tail lights LED running lights, Pioneer deck with 8 inch infinity sub, Focal 165VB and 165CVX with JL 320/4, Tinted all around 3%, Tinted interior lights.
    Bump

3. Jul 14, 2010 at 3:53 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    This thread has a link to the install pdf which is much better than the instructions that came with mine.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/group-buys/83938-2-7-urd-short-shifter.html

I don't know that anyone's done a writeup on the complete install. It can vary slightly depending upon your truck.

Possible issues that you might encounter (I did):

• Shifter assembly has 6 bolts, pictures only show 4. Kit was right for my truck, it's just that the bolts can be difficult to get to even from under the truck.
    • Shaft of the shifter might be slightly larger diameter than shaft the kit was modeled for. This has happened with a few customers. Some people have used a dremel to shave down the inside of the spacers so that the shifter extension will fit over them. If you don't feel comfortable doing this then talk to URD about returning the kit.
    • I didn't have an oil baffle on my transmission even though it mentioned one in the instructions, no biggie.
    Overall a great addition to the truck. Money well spent in my opinion. If you search for URD short shifter (which you may have done) then you'll find several threads on them.

4. Jul 14, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    Kyle

Kyle [OP] Mckeown343

Member:
    Arcata
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    Sweet Thanks for the info I appreciate it!!

5. Jul 14, 2010 at 8:49 PM
    beef TACO no rice

beef TACO no rice Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 taco single cab
    let us know how it works out! i may look into one.. i feel like i am reaching across the the truck when i shift mine.. lol

6. Jul 14, 2010 at 9:27 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    no problem-o :thumbsup:
    It seems like the general consensus of people who have installed it is that it is definitely worth it. The shifting gets a lot tighter.

Products Discussed in

To Top