1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shorties, swollen nuts, cross threads, and torquing

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by inwood customs, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Oct 5, 2018 at 10:48 PM
    inwood customs

inwood customs [OP] Roaming potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    K&n, flowmaster, plastidip, chipped, hids, daves
    Well that's an odd title, but cacurate.
    I threw on short tubes headers today and noticed 1 bolt on the trans bracket is stripped in the trans housing. Now, I can try getting it out and chasing the threads another day. If I leave the bracket unattached to the header collector, would the engine tq/twist possibly cause undue stress on the header/manifold studs and cause em to snap? That trans bracket portion is quite beefy so I assume it was meant for something.
    For now the bracket slaps around some on bumps and is annoying sounding, but I don't wanna take an angle grinder to it yet.

As for swollen nuts.... Apparently either the lugnuts.... ALL OF THEM swelled so a 21mm will not fit on them (sockets too small now), and a 22 is sloppy. No standard will fit better either. I know it's not my socket because I tried the OEM lug wrench.... No fitty.
    ...... or the last tire shop used a shitty socket and rounded the edges of the lugnuts just enough to fubar fitment of a proper 21mm. Strangest shit today, shoulda been a simple deal, but no. I'll buy 24 new lugnuts and spin the old ones off with a 22mm I guess. If I get a flat while on the road tho, I'mma be pissed.

Now the important part again is.... Leaving the trans/collector bracket unattached, will that possibly cause too much stress to the header studs while the trucks under a load?

2. Oct 6, 2018 at 4:55 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Ahhhhhh. This is why you were calling, while I was asleep.

3. Oct 6, 2018 at 9:44 AM
    inwood customs

inwood customs [OP] Roaming potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2006 v6 potato bugTuRD
    K&n, flowmaster, plastidip, chipped, hids, daves
    :anonymous:

Products Discussed in

To Top