1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shot a Deer and cant find blood trail?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by JJ5685, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Oct 6, 2011 at 7:35 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift

:crapstorm:

2. Oct 6, 2011 at 7:37 PM
    Ivan

Ivan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ivan
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, 4x4 + SR5
    I'm eating a burger as i type this, i assure you, i love meat, no homo

3. Oct 6, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    Stubbs95tacoma

Stubbs95tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Wichita
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    6 Inch Lift
    This thread pops up as im packing for a 3 day hunt this weekend :D

4. Oct 6, 2011 at 7:41 PM
    Stubbs95tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Wichita
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    6 Inch Lift

:oldglory:

5. Oct 6, 2011 at 7:46 PM
    Stubbs95tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Wichita
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    6 Inch Lift
    Ar.15 and switch out to a different upper receiver and barrel!

6. Oct 6, 2011 at 7:46 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    SCS Stealth 6 Wheels, 285/70/17 STT Pros, Demello Offroad front bumper, 20" LED Bar, LED Fogs, LED interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Body Armour Rear Bumper, Smittybilt 10K winch, 3" OME Lift
    Put one of these :rolleyes: or ;) so everyone knows! Sarcasm is lost in text :D

7. Oct 6, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    JJ5685

JJ5685 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road v6 sr5 4X4
    pioneer stereo, 10" rockford fosgate punchgate sub, custom box, bull bar, custom trd decals
    Hippies, why don't you go hug a tree. How else do we get our protien. Game animals was put on earth to be killed and eaten.

8. Oct 6, 2011 at 7:58 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke

Tell that to the bugs you smash on your windshield every day on your ride to work. Or the cat you accidentally ran over a couple years ago. Maybe the bird that you just couldn't avoid and it hit your windshield. Killing animals for food is nature, if no one killed them then the populations would overrun and you wouldn't be able to eat from your veggie garden that you probably love so much because the damn deer ate em all. [/end rant]

edit: durr, guess I should have refreshed and saw page two.... oh well, I'm leaving it.

9. Oct 6, 2011 at 7:58 PM
    dwalden2

dwalden2 HBTFD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derick
    Blue Ridge, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Offroad V6 6 spd
    VVVV

:thumbsup:

10. Oct 6, 2011 at 8:01 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.

[​IMG]

11. Oct 6, 2011 at 8:17 PM
    Stubbs95tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Wichita
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5
    6 Inch Lift
    :rimshot:

12. Oct 6, 2011 at 8:40 PM
    Warhorseforever

Warhorseforever Will The Thrill

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Sand Lapper
    Vehicle:
    2001 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner SR5
    Kenwood KDC-348U HU Kicker DS65 Front Doors Only 2 Polk Audio MM840 Kenwood KAC 8105D for subs SuperCrewSound.com behind rear seat sub box
    Was their a blood spot where the deer was standing when you hit him? I would suggest you to carry some Hydrogen Peroxide with you. It makes tracking blood trails a lot easier because it foams up when it touches blood. Go look tomorrow look for blood trails, broken branches, your bow sitting on the ground (I've heard stories of deer running off then breaking the bow off using a tree), anything to indicate that there was a deer there lately.

To Ivan-We have so many deer in my town that they will come out in the middle of the day into downtown traffic. If you asked me Deer season needs to be extended or allow a greater number of tags per hunter. They cause a lot of harm around here but they do have their place in the ecosystem regardless. Right now we are in the process of filing insurance claims because a deer decided to fight my house. Not to mention all the damage to cars. My father works as the Emergency Systems Manager (Dispatch Manager) at a nuclear plant down here in SC and dispatches 3-4 police a night for wrecks caused by deer running out in front of the cars. I've hunted deer for as long as I can remember with Bows, Cross Bows, and Guns. All but 4 deer have been a clean kill. All of them were down within 50 yards of me shooting them except for those 4 they all were recovered and eaten nothing in that deer was wasted. Please do not let a few bad hunters give us all a bad name. Are you a vegetarian?

13. Oct 6, 2011 at 8:47 PM
    06indigoink

06indigoink Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte NC
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4
    Shot a doe a few years back with my muzzleloader, perfect shot. Waited a while, got down and seen no blood. None. Followed where I thought she ran across the field and still no blood. I got lucky and seen a white belly about 75 yards away tho. She didn't bleed a drop until she fell over. Then I've had deer pouring blood that ran half a mile.. good luck with the recovery

14. Oct 7, 2011 at 4:58 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Yes I have, and understand about the fever, no matter what people say it has happened to them. You know about shot placement and you know what you did so enough of that.
    A blood trail can be tricky, I hit one with only one drop of blood, I thought I had hit him good. Lost the trail. Went out next morning and back tracked. I did find him in a massive pool of blood.
    I would try to and check the area again, may look on your hands and knees.
    Start marking your route, look at tracks or areas where he ran. You may spend hours doing this, and then the final call with be yours. Also take a pair of scoping glasses to check out area, doing a 20 yard run at a time if possible.
    After my last hit and run, doe at 40 yards with a .44 mag, I went to a light to track at night. I know there is alot of blood lights out there, but they are not created equal. I went with a on sale Surefire, (through Midway) and added the blue filter, WOW is all I can say. It picks up drops of blood the size of a pin prick.
    All in all, its your call on recovery, if you have made every effort to find, collect it, and that has all failed chances are he went down in thick stuff, or will be out roaming around another day.
    Sorry about that, it happens, and I have felt what you do. Just wait till one starts to scream at you. That will melt the heart.
    Best.

15. Oct 7, 2011 at 5:19 AM
    hillbillynwv

hillbillynwv Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fairmont, WV
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 6MT TRD Pro
    Falken Wildpeak MT 285's
    Did you tie any ribbon where you last saw traces of blood? The woods always look different the next day. I shot a nice buck with my bow years ago. I gave it a half hour before I tracked it. I found where it had laid down and it looked like it had bled out, a huge pool of blood. I never found the deer, it was as if it had disappeared like a ghost. Deer are tough, if you don't hit the heart or lungs they can go on for miles.

16. Oct 7, 2011 at 6:00 AM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    Hopefully the coytes dont get him before you do.

I shot a deer when I was 16. He took off into some THICK brush. I walked to where I thought he was and looked for a bit and couldnt find him. So I walked to where my dad was sitting and had him help me. There was a massive thunderstorm about to hit so we looked for as long as we could without getting the truck stuck in the mud and not be able to get home.

We didnt find him that night so we went back the next morning and all that was left was the neck up. coyotes destroyed everything! All we could do was cut the antlers off and tag them...It was a bummer :(

17. Oct 7, 2011 at 7:42 AM
    JJ5685

JJ5685 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road v6 sr5 4X4
    pioneer stereo, 10" rockford fosgate punchgate sub, custom box, bull bar, custom trd decals
    That sucks I've seen and Heard alot of coyotes this year. Ill have to finish my search when I get off work.

18. Oct 7, 2011 at 7:49 AM
    97yota4wd

97yota4wd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    alot of metal, small engine, decent travel.
    caged, camburg long travel, 50t leafpack (soon to be installed) light rack over cab, 5pt harnesses etc
    good luck man

19. Oct 7, 2011 at 1:12 PM
    angrysam

angrysam Huh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Somebody's Shit List
    Vehicle:
    2.9 Gen- Not a cunt.
    Fleshlight and an old Farrah Fawcett poster.
    I've helped track deer a lot. Most were found about 100-150 yards passed where the person gave up or lost the blood trail. It's tough. Especially tracking at night. Your mind seems to trick you into thinking you've walked farther than you really have, too.

My FIL shot a deer a few years ago. Deer was in a dead run when shot. It ran another 100 yards and when they dressed it they found the heart blown in half. Adrenaline is pretty powerful.

Push on a little further. Try an develop a radius from the last blood spot and sweep in a circle if you can. I bet you'll find it.

20. Oct 7, 2011 at 4:02 PM
    rmb_crew

rmb_crew My other ride has 18,400HP!!!!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Jacksonville, FL 30.243103, -81.591007‎
    Vehicle:
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 4X4
    Access larado tonneau, magnaflow exhaust
    any luck?

Products Discussed in

To Top