1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

shotgun chokes.......which one for slugs??

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by tacomaman06, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Jun 14, 2008 at 6:31 AM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 [OP] Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    what exactly are the differences between an improved cylinder and a modified choke??? my mossberg 88 maverick 88 with field barrel(like the 500, but all black and synthetic stock) has the original modified choke, and i have shot slugs from it with zero problems. but some people are telling me that i shouldnt shoot slugs with a modified choke............i should use an improved cylinder. whats with the improved cylinder?? will slugs group better or have a bit more distance with the ic choke, or will it be ok to keep on using the modified?? keep in mind that i shoot buckshot too, and with the modified choke, even bird shot keeps a decent pattern a good ways out.

2. Jun 14, 2008 at 6:58 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I was always told to use no choke with slugs. I think the "improved cylinder" chuck is good..........dam............why couldnt you ask about engines? :D

3. Jun 14, 2008 at 7:04 AM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    yeah......i couldnt come up with an engine question:D.

like i said, i havent had any problems with the modified choke and slugs, but i have heard different things from different people, so i aint too sure.

4. Jun 14, 2008 at 10:26 AM
    gdc1072

gdc1072 Active Member

Member:
    Clear Lake, Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4dr PreRunner TRD Off Road
    Putco chrome kit (mirror covers, door handles, and tailgate handle), Bug shield, Vent visors, K & N Drop in air filter, Removed secondary air filter, De-badged tailgate
    I own a Mossberg 500 and my advice would be to spend the money on a slug barrel. They are thicker to handle the extra lead from the slug and rifled to give it that nice spiral for a more acurate shot.

5. Jun 14, 2008 at 1:34 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i had thought hard about that, but my only problem with that setup would be using buckshot, which i use regularly with slugs also. more or less, where i hunt is a few decent open spaces and densely wooded for the most part, which makes having slugs and buckshot very handy.

6. Jun 14, 2008 at 6:37 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    bump...........because i posted this way early this morning:D.

7. Jun 14, 2008 at 6:41 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Ok, I talked to a buddy of mine who is more familliar with shot guns. He said a cylinder bore is what you need for slugs. If you run a choke, you run the risk of splitting the end of your barrel. He said that Full and Modified chokes are a No no. Hope this helps. :)

8. Jun 14, 2008 at 6:46 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    cool.......kinda what i was needing to know. it is odd though that of all the times i have shot a slug with the modified choke, nothing has ever went wrong. i know i wouldnt ever run a full choke though with the slug......that would definitely be a no no:eek:!!

9. Jun 14, 2008 at 6:50 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    My buddy said he has done the same thing, but its written someplace that you shouldnt shoot slugs thru a modified choke. :confused:

10. Jun 20, 2008 at 2:52 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    With a sabot type slug you could probably use a mod. choke with no problem. On a conventional type slug I wouldn't go any tighter than a Imp. cyl. smooth bore choke. I understand that most rifled chokes are no tighter than imp.cyl..

My Benelli's don't even recommend steel shot in imp. mod. or full choke tubes.

11. Jun 20, 2008 at 3:02 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    mine says the same thing

12. Jun 20, 2008 at 6:49 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Not sure if this was already covered... and I'm only partially knowledged in this area.

My husband and I shoot trap/skeet from time to time. We both have Berretta o/u shotguns. We have different chokes that you screw on the ends of the barrell. Each choke has a different outter diameter - which affects the distance/spread of the shot. A smaller diameter choke will allow the shot to go farther with a narrower spread. For close-up trap/skeet shots...you wanna use the widest choke for a wider spread but they don't go as far.

Depending on your skill level and what the shooting range is like.... will determine what chokes you run. I normally run with the widest choke in mine cuz I need ALL the help I can get when I'm shooting.

13. Jun 20, 2008 at 7:09 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    My Beretta’s are the M1-S90's but same applies. As far a steel shot and slugs go. The reason you want to run the most open bore choke, as in cyl. or imp. cyl. is that the constriction of the choke insert can't take the abuse of trying to squeeze the singular 1.5 oz. piece of lead or the toughness of the steel shot down as it leaves the barrel. It might work for a while but would eventually fatigue and fail. You can use whatever bore choke for the lead shot, which I'm sure is what you and your husband use for trap. The reason being that the lead shot can easier be deformed to the chosen pattern desired by choke selection without damage.

Products Discussed in

To Top