1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I be worried?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TacoDawgfan, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Mar 16, 2011 at 2:04 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan [OP] Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I have always wanted a Yota 4x4. I wanted one for the quality, off road capabilty, value and mostly for the dependability. With that said, I traded a 2005 Dodge Ram Hemi that I had from brand new and never gave me any mechanical troubles basically. Had my Tacoma for a little more than 5 weeks now and the other day went to crank it (first crank of the day) and it didn't start at first, but I didn't think much of it as I thought I had let off the key too soon. Now today after work, went to crank up and it turned over and over several times before it finally started. It took just long enough for me to think oh sh*t! and then it started. I'm getting worried now. Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. Mar 16, 2011 at 2:14 PM
    joerussell610

joerussell610 When all else fails read the directions

Member:
    First Name:
    Him
    Making myself at home in your house
    Vehicle:
    2005 DC Sport Edition 4x4
    K&N, fog light mod, remote rear halogen fogs mounted under rear bumper, TRD skid plate, Flux Capacitor, Mr. Fusion upgrade soon
    IF it's under warranty take it to the dealer. 05 TRD here with 80k and the only thing that broke was cupholder seperator. Still has all factory bulbs and battery. Trust me your not gonna get stranded with your Yota unlike the Dodge.

3. Mar 16, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    thinkingman

thinkingman Well-Known Member

Member:
    redmond WA
    Vehicle:
    2006 dbl cab 4wd 6sp
    Foglights are for fog, not oncoming traffic!
    Hmmm....6yrs with a flawless Dodge?....you sure like to gamble.
    I had two Dodge/Jeep vehicles...150k miles and no trouble either.
    Wish my Taco was as well-built.

4. Mar 16, 2011 at 5:17 PM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah, wait a bit when you have it on the ON position, then start.

I noticed this helps sometimes...other times my truck just takes a little longer to start than the other cars we have. I think its just a trait of the 2nd gens.

5. Mar 18, 2011 at 5:04 AM
    HuntnTruk

HuntnTruk Tacohead

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    New York-not the City
    Vehicle:
    Indigo SR5 4x4
    I notice that a lot of people make excuses to justify subpar quality. It really friggin irritates me that I have to worry about how reliable my truck will be. It is unacceptable to me how widespread these problems are and there is apparently no solutions.

6. Mar 18, 2011 at 5:17 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    No shit, hate that too. Call bullshit bullshit!

That being said, I usually do turn key on and wait for the pump to prime. Have had no problems starting my 05 4 cyl even if just jumping in and cranking immediately. Jumps to life in 2 seconds or less. I park in garage tho and no crazy arctic temps most of the time either.

7. Mar 18, 2011 at 6:31 AM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    What type of gas are you running? On my '99 I was running the better gas grades (not regular) and had that problem. When I switched to regular, it went away. Also, as noted above, give the truck time to prime. When you turn on the ignition, the gas pump primes for two seconds shooting fuel into the injectors.

8. Mar 18, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    Yeah try resting the key in the "on" position for a couple seconds before cranking. Hopefully that will help. Or check the throttle body and MAF sensor, they might be dirty and messing with the intake/startup recipe.

Someone here on TW once said (joking), with these new Tacomas, the engine management computer will calculate the next four lunar cycles before it gives the order to inject fuel. That may be true when the engine is warm. 97.21% of the time, mine will start after a full second of cranking (3-4 "chirps"). Occasionally when it's fully warm and I go to restart it, it takes a little longer... I'll let off the key when it normally starts but it does not fire so I give it a 2nd, longer crank. This really baffles me because everything is primed up and ready to go, and it takes longer to fire than a dead cold start? Weird... But my old Mustangs, when they were warm, you just barely bump the starter and they would fire right up, super easy and really confidence-inspiring. Not so with these warm Tacoma startups... some of this new technology stuff is over-rated.

9. Mar 18, 2011 at 10:09 AM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    I never knew about the 2 second pause on before turning over. Mine usual starts right up on 3-4 starter bumps.

More frequently it won't start because I do not have the clutch pushed all the way down.

10. Mar 19, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I run regular. That is what the dealer told me to run and didn't need anything more. With gas prices the way they are, that helped me in my decission to trade the Hemi Ram in. It took mid grade.

As far as the "prime the fuel pump", that really pisses me off! I bought Toyota for quality, dependability, better mpg and value. So far it appears I'm only getting the latter. I have owned several new vehilcle's and have Never had to do the prime thing and have never heard of anyone else doing this, including Toyota owners. I shouldn't have to worry about how to start the effing truck, I've had it 6 fricking weeks! Never had a mechanical issue with my Dodge! All my life I have always heard how great these trucks were and have wanted one for a long time. Now that I have one and right off the bat I see a potential problem! I've owned Ford's Dodge's and Nissan's and never had any issues except on the 89 Dakota which didn't hit until 90k miles and that was some sort of sensor that caused it to stall and the overdrive switch went bad. I love my truck so far but If this continues I will take it in and if it doesn't get resovled I will probably not buy another Toyota. I just find it funny that all the Toyota people I've known over the years brag on their trucks and how dependable and all and made fun of my Ram being a Dodge and what a pos they were. Maybe I'm jumping the gun on this, but It's just ironic to me to finally have a brand new Toyota and it is the first vehicle that has ever shown any signs of problem right from the start.

11. Mar 19, 2011 at 9:32 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    if i had a 2011 truck, i wouldnt even be here on TW. i would smile and haul it into the dealership. i would haunt some poor service technician.

mine is about to run out of warranty, i am here for the DIY advice. good luck.

my 06 starts with no issues.

12. Mar 19, 2011 at 9:43 AM
    kirkofwimbo

kirkofwimbo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clayton
    Wimberley, TX
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tundra SR 4x4
    My truck has done this 2 times in the 7 months I've owned it. I'm really not that worried about it, it started the next try each time. Every other time the truck starts up just like every other toyota V6 I've ever heard. My advise to you, if your that worried about it, make it the dealers problem. Even if they can't fix it now, they would have documentation of the issue if anything was to happen down the road

13. May 18, 2011 at 2:00 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Ok, did it again yesterday after work. So would the fuel level have anything to do with how quickly the pump gets the fuel flowing? Yesterday when it did it I was planning to fuel up after work and was just below 1/4 tank. And today with a full tank, started very quickly. Hadn't noticed or thought about this before, but I will pay more attention now.

14. May 18, 2011 at 2:25 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Yep...especially if you aren't on a level grade.

Just make it a habit to turn to the on position, then crank. I did this with my last vehicle because I had an aftermarket Walbro 255lph fuel pump and needed to prime, it became habit after a while.

15. May 18, 2011 at 2:33 PM
    Cerviperus

Cerviperus Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Mt. Zion, IL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner V6 TRD Off Road
    Grille4You 3" Stainless Nerf Bars, EGR In-Channel Window Deflectors, BAKFlip HD Tonneau Cover, Oznium 5" Blue LED Dome Light, WeatherTech Floor Liners, EGR Bug Shield
    Dealer had mine all day on a Saturday a few weeks back (new 2011), and they couldn't find anything wrong. They checked fuel pressure, electrical systems, ignition, etc. Said keep an eye on it and let them know if it gets more consistent or repeatable. Otherwise they're chasing ghosts.

I've since talked to several local people who have Tacomas, and they pretty much say it's the nature of the beast to take a few more cranks than most other vehicles that seem to be "turn-key-and-fire".

I did notice when I first got it and had the problems that I, like you, was probably letting off the key too quickly. When you do that, then try starting it again, it REALLY cranks a bit before starting. My guess is that could be due to the fuel pump as others have stated, but my mechanic skills extend as far as changing bulbs. Now that I stay on the key a second or two longer, I've not had the problem again.

16. May 18, 2011 at 2:40 PM
    TacoDawgfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    I'm not letting off the key too quickly, it is turning over and over several times before it starts. Yesterday it took so long I finally let off and then tried again and then it fired right up. This is the 3rd time it has done it that bad in the 4 months I've had the truck.

17. May 18, 2011 at 2:44 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    Check your battery cables. My truck did something similar, turns out the battery wasn't tightened down enough. No issues since.

18. May 18, 2011 at 2:49 PM
    Tepidy

Tepidy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    11 tacoma 4x4
    Toytec Coil Overs 3.00" DSM UCA's (Desert Products) TSB 4 Leaf w/AAL by Pro Comp Bilstein 5100 rear 1"ToyTec SwayBar Drops 1" diff drop Detroit Trutrac Rear Diff Nitro 4.56 Gears Doug Thornley Header MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust Custom Built Rear Plate Bumper Custom Built Front Plate Bumper 4X Innovations Rock Sliders ATO Front Skid BAMF Rear Diff Skid Uniden 510XL Pro CB Raceline Renegades BF Goodrich Mud Terrains KM2's 265x75x16 WeatherTechs Rear Diff breather Relocate Intake Resonator Removed Yellow Wire Mod
    Have a new 2011 taco have 8k on it now all through a brutal winter. my truck starts as soon as I turn the key without waiting at all.

19. May 18, 2011 at 2:49 PM
    bowhunter11199

bowhunter11199 Well-Known Member

Member:

what kind of jeep did you have?

20. May 18, 2011 at 3:01 PM
    kbaum08

kbaum08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    US of A
    Vehicle:
    09 trd off road dbl cab 4x4 barcelona red
    Jason Topper, Bed Rug, Weather Tech floor liners, Garmin Nuvi 760, Scan Guage, Trd exhaust, AFE dry air filter, shrockworks rock sliders, heated seats Katzkin leather, 2+ inch OME lift shocks etc heavy duty, ARB front bumper, Warn winch, Pia lights, rocktek rear bumper, locking tailgate,
    Really what in the heck are you talking about?

Products Discussed in

To Top