1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I bother getting new coilovers?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Logans2001, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Apr 5, 2020 at 10:29 PM
    Logans2001

Logans2001 [OP] What’s crackin’

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2001 v6 4WD auto
    I’m at 265,000 miles and as far as I know the coils have never been replaced.. no problem with them currently (that I can tell) but would I notice a difference if I replaced them? Or would it be wiser to just save the money? I have bilstein 5100s on there rn set to the highest level which I installed around 205,000. And whats the lifespan on those?

2. Apr 6, 2020 at 8:01 AM
    TacoGod

TacoGod Member

Member:
    I replaced my coils at around 165k with OMEs, which leveled the front. I noticed a small difference in ride quality. My shocks were replaced at 120k and were completely shot, so that was a more notable difference. I reused my shocks that had around 45k on them when I installed the coils and they seemed fine and don’t seem bouncy now. Unless the shocks are noticeably bouncy I’d probably keep your current shocks and I’m not really sure the OME springs were worth the hassle, but they look good

3. Apr 6, 2020 at 9:47 AM
    jbrandt

jbrandt Made you look

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    El Dorado, CA (NOT El Dorado Hills)
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD Tacoma 4x4 DC
    Kings, J59's Total Chaos UCAs Custom skids Sticker mod
    There isn't really a "lifespan" for the coils, when they wear out they just sag more.

Mine were sagging a little bit, so when I installed my 5100s I put them on the middle clip, and that essentially got rid of the sag. It was a bandaid fix until I got new coilovers.

I would say replace them with OME coils, that way you can put the 5100s back to the "stock" height setting and let the coils do the lifting. In that way, you more than likely will notice a difference in ride. When you crank up the 5100s like you did, you are making the spring stiffer (increasing preload).

The "proper" way to lift it is to get a spring that is longer.

It's easy for me to say get knew springs. It's not my money, lol...

But worn out springs at >250k is a pretty safe bet, and OME coils are like $180 or less usually. Rent the tool for free at most auto parts stores and you're good to go.

Hamer95USA and Logans2001[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top