1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I buy a 2007 Tacoma?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ThWind81, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Jul 28, 2015 at 10:29 AM
    ThWind81

ThWind81 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma
    I am interested in a 2007 Tacoma 4x4 V6 at a nearby dealership. I started doing research and found terrifying information on frame rust. I live in NW Indiana so there is salt in the winter. Who owns a 2007 or similar Tacoma and what has your experience been with frame rust? Engine mounts?

Thanks!

2. Jul 28, 2015 at 10:32 AM
    ChiefManyWrenches

ChiefManyWrenches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DCSB TRD Off Road 4WD
    I mean, every truck is a little different depending on how they were maintained. If you are curious just crawl up under there and take a look. If it is rusty you will figure it out pretty quick. Also, bring a tiny hammer or something and tap along the frame rails to see if there is any.

3. Jul 28, 2015 at 10:51 AM
    ThWind81

ThWind81 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma
    Thank you for the reply. I plan on tapping around under there with my flashlight. I was just wondering if anyone has had problems or experience with the rust or having the rust fix applied and how well that works etc... I thought maybe the forum could give me a better feel for how likely I would be to run into this problem.

4. Jul 28, 2015 at 12:23 PM
    ChiefManyWrenches

ChiefManyWrenches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DCSB TRD Off Road 4WD
    Yeah, I live in North Central Florida so I will not be much help here.

5. Jul 28, 2015 at 12:54 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
  6. Jul 28, 2015 at 1:03 PM
    ZachPrerunner

ZachPrerunner Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn’t

Member:
    Southeast TN
    Vehicle:
    ‘07 TRD Offroad / ‘19 TRD Offroad 4x4
    Any used car is going to have some flaws, so that said it is a good idea to check around. The frame rust issue seems to occur in three different stages. Light surface rust, medium-heavy surface rust, and hollowed out frame rust. The best way to tell how the truck was maintained is by simply looking underneath it. If the truck looks clean and up to your standards, I'd say buy it. If you're concerned that the frame is going to rust on you with the salty roads, have the truck under coated with some bed liner or oil annually. Any vehicle is going to rust in salty conditions if exposed over long periods of time.

7. Jul 28, 2015 at 1:07 PM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    I can verify that 2007 is the first year of the improved engine mounts. I have been told to never sell my 2007 for the fact that it has those mounts, does not have the newer electrical system(Not sure what's wrong with it, if anything) and was a good year for QDR. If it has little to no rust and good maintenance history the last thing to ensure is that it's not overpriced.

8. Jul 28, 2015 at 1:31 PM
    ThWind81

ThWind81 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma
    Thank you guys for the awesome info. Chopper, great to know that those are the good engine mounts and that it slipped the newer electrical system. Gsxr, thank you for the heads up on the recalls and it is a 6 spd manual, how costly is the TOB issue?. Zach, I plan on doing something like a bedliner undercoat if I get this thing. The dealer is asking $17,800 for it with 96,000 miles but I can definitely get them down a couple thousand dollars on it as I also work with the dealership from time to time. I am getting rid of my 2007 Hyundai Accent also. Possible trade-in.

Thanks again!

ZachPrerunner likes this.
  9. Jul 28, 2015 at 2:27 PM
    HvH

HvH Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Damon
    Vehicle:
    2007 silver Tacoma
    Not sure about the price they're asking but I've had no problems with mine and I've got 83G miles on it. Taking in just now to get new leaf springs and shocks and struts. Figure 83G miles I'm sort of due for new ones.

10. Jul 28, 2015 at 3:03 PM
    Chopper678

Chopper678 Professional Threadjacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '07 SR5 PreRunner V6 DCSB
    5100s@0.85"+Eibachs, Toytec 2" AAL, Weathertech floor liners, WO seat covers, UltraGauge, ammo box mod
    I would also like to know how much the throwout bearing fix is. Depending, I would personally take the enjoyment of driving manual and keep a couple hundred bucks in the bank.

Yes sir, no problem but like I said I don't know why the person I talked to didn't like the newer electrical system. It could be good or bad but I have had 0 issues with my truck other than the other day my passenger window motor stopped for a minute :eek: came right back. It isn't a big deal because I have done that sort of work before on a different vehicle. I don't know about bedliner but there IS a common fix to the frame rust issue and I don't think it is bedliner. It's another sort of coating. 18K for 96K miles isn't as high as I've seen before but definitely talk them down. Also make a point to ask them about the leaf springs and frame rust, primarily to see if they will cover it and secondarily to let them know you know the shortcomings of this truck they want 18K for.

I know you are new here, and welcome! But if you like to get your hands dirty you could probably replace those shocks yourself with OEM or better parts and save a lot of money unless it's under warranty.

11. Jul 28, 2015 at 3:07 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Whatever you buy, paying for a mechanical pre purchase inspection from an independent shop you trust will be worth every dime you spend.

You'll either buy with confidence, avoid problems that would have been many more times the inspection cost, or find modest, but fixable problems to use to your advantage to negotiate a better price with.

The underpinnings should be part of the inspection on any vehicle, particularly northern and coastal ones.

12. Jul 28, 2015 at 4:01 PM
    File IFR

File IFR "... Intercepting The Localizer"

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM 4X4 DC-LB TRD Sport
    $18K for an 8 year old truck is high IMHO.

... of course, those are dealer prices. They probably bought it from the previous owner for $12/14 K. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top