1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I buy? Please help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by thisisaustin9221, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Jul 28, 2009 at 8:26 PM
    thisisaustin9221

thisisaustin9221 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    South Carolina
    I really need some opinions from you Tacoma guys! Helps greatly appreciated!

(excuse my little rant)

So I'm 16 and looking to buy my first truck. I was originally going for a Jeep Rubicon just because i've always loved and wanted a jeep. But insurance is expensive on them, and my dad keeps hearing bad things about them. So I started to notice this kids Tacoma that lives around me. BEAUTIFUL! 6" fabtech lift. Rockstar rims, 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers. Dualed out. Just a mean looking truck. My dad liked it and wanted me to start looking for one like it. So i've been on the hunt for a tacoma that's already lifted and modded out. (I don't have time or money to do it myself although I really wish I could) But we only have limited time. The truck me and my dad are sharing is going with him to his work in another state, and I'm left with no transportation or way to work.

So I found this truck... It's everything I want! It's absolutely amazing!!!! But then I find out it's not a 4x4

http://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/cto/1285040237.html

Well I wanted the 4x4 originally but I won't be off roading really. Maybe little mud puddles on some trails every now and then. But not rock crawling or serious mudding or anything. Especially with this nice of truck. I just simply don't have the money to fix stuff that comes along with off roading.

So I'm deciding on wether or not to get the truck... the 4x4 would be nice to have but is it a big deal to not have it? at least for what I need... A truck to get me around and allow me to just have a vehicle to go hang out with friends. I'll get better gas mileage and horsepower with the 4x2.

So basically I want to know if you guys were me would you get it?
    You see, If I wait on another truck thats 4x4 and this one sells and can't find a 4x4 then I'm screwed. I just don't wanna get the truck and be bummed I don't have the four wheel drive.

Please help me out on my choice, I'm looking my mind :(

2. Jul 28, 2009 at 8:35 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    You WILL be bummed you don't have 4x4 if you don't get it. Trucks with over 18" rims look stupid and its pointless. My best advice is to build your own truck. That way you can make it exactly how you want it, know the mods have not been abused. Best of all you get the satisfaction of building a truck to your own specifications and making it uniquely yours

3. Jul 28, 2009 at 8:44 PM
    thisisaustin9221

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    South Carolina
    ofcourse that'd be nice.. but not really an option. If I had money and time to buy a stock truck and build it up then I would. But I don't I plan to buy a truck thats almost already how I want it.

Why would I be bummmed about getting better gas milege?! ALL of my friends wiht big trucks say to get it. and that they never use their 4 wheel drive. and it's goign to be a very very small amount off off roading if I decide to. like maybe go down a dirt trail, or go through a little mud puddle. but thats it.

4. Jul 28, 2009 at 8:44 PM
    Kmoney

Kmoney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Bend, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB TRD OR
    White dog
    x2. It's a great looking truck, though. But in the end I'd be willing to bet you'd be kicking yourself in the ass for not getting a 4x4...

5. Jul 28, 2009 at 8:45 PM
    thisisaustin9221

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    South Carolina
    and I think the 20" rims loook real sick

6. Jul 28, 2009 at 8:51 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    I have a 4x4 and my best tank was 28 mpg, but i average 24-25. You are young so who know what you will eventually want to do with your truck?

Regardless its your money so whatever makes you happy is what you should get. Personally I would not settle for anything less than what I wanted when buying my truck cuz I knew i would regret it in the long run

7. Jul 28, 2009 at 8:57 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    I saw a couple more Taco's around SC that are nice, but like Dgerm said, it would probably be better to build it yourself so that you'll have what YOU want.

Here is one with the Rear locking differential, which is a great bonus.

EDIT: Late response, but you still get the point. ;)

8. Jul 28, 2009 at 8:59 PM
    thisisaustin9221

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    South Carolina
    Thanks for everyones input. I would rather the 4x4 but time unfortunately isn't an option. If I let this truck go, and don't find one by the middle/end of august the im screwed. =/

I understtnd that I might want to off road in the future but the 4x2 has enough power to do a little offroading but...
    I'm pretty sure I wont be offroading really. It's more of just a vehicle that looks nice to get me around.
    I've been mudding plenty with friends and I realize how fun it is. but i realize how easy it is to mess stuff up as well.

So heres a question for you guys. Say I get the truck and never bring it off road once. I'm getting better mpg and a nice looking truck thats not gone through hell. Do you still think I'll regret it?? and do you think it'll be a pretty "capable" truck as far as getting me around town?

9. Jul 28, 2009 at 9:01 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    Honestly you are talking about not getting 4x4 to get better MPG but at the same time wanting huge rims and tires.

I think you know the answers you want to hear before asking. Power has little to do with offroading as well. Its more about traction

10. Jul 28, 2009 at 9:02 PM
    Kmoney

Kmoney Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Bend, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '17 DCSB TRD OR
    White dog
    The Tacoma is a great truck. It's hard to put myself in your shoes, but if it's only rarely going offroad the 4x2 will suit you fine. In the end, it's your decision and if a 4x4 isn't an option anyway, you're still in a Tacoma!!! :D Best of luck, mate.

11. Jul 28, 2009 at 9:03 PM
    thisisaustin9221

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    South Carolina

thats a nice looking truck and all, but it'd take me SO SO SOO SOO long to build it up to how I want it. I'm 16 and work at a minimum wage job. Plus every cent cant just get dumped into my truck.

The other truck is the same price and already has EVERYTHING. so it just doesnt make since to buy the truck stock and it be YEARS before it looks good. By then it'll be time to sell it to go off to college.

ahhhhhhh this is stressful, I just don't know what to do, and I'm trying to make myself want the 4x2. :(

12. Jul 28, 2009 at 9:04 PM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    i have a prerunner, so i have the raised look but not 4wd... took it out and it did real well didnt get stuck and everyone i was with had 4x4s and were very impressed about how it did... i did not plan on going offroading but findng this site didnt help... i do wish i had a 4x4 but our trucks arent that feeble w/o it

good luck

13. Jul 28, 2009 at 9:07 PM
    thisisaustin9221

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    South Carolina

your right, I'm not really worried about mpg. I'm just trying to give myself a reason to settle for the 4x2
    The truck is sooo nice, and it's a first truck (im only 16) I should be lucky to even get to pick. Most kids just get thrown in what ever they can get.

14. Jul 28, 2009 at 9:09 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual

4x2's are still very capable, but they have their limitations. Just get whatever make you happy and love it no matter what you decide! Once you get it you will discover its strengths and weaknesses and know how to work with and around them.

15. Jul 28, 2009 at 9:10 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    My prerunner is very capable, if I might say so myself. :D

16. Jul 28, 2009 at 9:12 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    we should hit the trails with burg and put our rigs to the test!

17. Jul 28, 2009 at 9:15 PM
    thisisaustin9221

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    South Carolina
    Thanks guys, and I knew I was going to hear something like "GET THE 4x4 NO DOUBT" I just was hoping for the opposite of that.

I agree with you guys that I should get something I want and this truck is everything I want except that. Buying a truck is a huge choice, I just don't have unlimited amount of time to wait on that same truck but 4x4 to come along and it be close to my area.

18. Jul 28, 2009 at 9:15 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    your only asking us to get the answer you want so why are you even asking?

These guys are all older, wiser people who already have the truck your looking at, and your not listening to them.

If YOU think that you wont be 4x4ing and it's a waste of money, then go grab that pre runner! but think about it in the long run and make a wise decision.

19. Jul 28, 2009 at 9:30 PM
    HwyRogue

HwyRogue Resident Canuck

Member:
    Halifax, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport 4x4
    Arctic bull bar, hitch step, side bars (All by Avid Off Road!), BHLM, eye lids....
    At 16, there isn't much "long run thinking"... you like the truck and in the end, that is what matters. There are plenty of prerunner owners here who are happy as can be with their choice of vehicles.

If it's what you want, and you can get it for a good price, then I say go for it.

20. Jul 28, 2009 at 9:35 PM
    matthew5olson

matthew5olson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matthew
    pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 ext cab 3.4L 5spd 4x4 sr5
    K&N cold air intake, doug thorley headers, rear sensor simulator, flowmaster 40 series, magnecor plug wires, Royal Purple synthetic gear lube, airaid throttle body spacer, Hyperground system, flex-a-lite elec fan.
    If your going to spend that much money on a truck get Exactly what you want. I looked for a while for mine and drove many miles to go get mine. It was all worth it. My first truck was an s10. I didn't think i would need 4x4 either. I did. And I didn't go offroading with it or even get a chance to drive it in the winter. When I looked for a tacoma I only looked at 4x4's I use mine a lot and I have only been offroading once. I personally don't care for 20's on a lifted truck. On a racing truck go for it.

Look for a 1st gen 4x4. They are hard to find but they already sit high off the ground. They would better fit your budget. (not sure how your going to buy a 20k truck on a min. wage job.) And you won't always have a min wage job. Find a taco that's maybe has some of the features you want and in the future you can mod it. Its not like the truck is going to fall apart by the time you would have money to make it what you want.
    My .02 Never compromise when your going to spend that kind of money

Products Discussed in

To Top