1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I get wheel spacers?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SR54x4, Nov 7, 2010.

?

Should I add wheel spacers?

Poll closed Dec 7, 2010.
  1. YES

66 vote(s)
    67.3%
  2. NO

32 vote(s)
    32.7%
  1. Nov 23, 2010 at 6:09 AM
    macjedi

macjedi Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Sacramento, California
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner SR5 DCLB
    Oh really? Is there a way to get that affect without getting offset rims or using a wheel adapter? I just assumed they were more accepted since every time I go to the Toyota dealership I see all these trucks with this offset affect. I always thought it looked cool. I wonder how they did that if not using wheel adapters or offset rims?

Anyway, this just furthers my point that Toyota may use those adapters as a scape goat, if you ever need warranty work done on your truck. I'm not touching them. Just my 2 cents.

2. Nov 23, 2010 at 3:38 PM
    SR54x4

SR54x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 TRD SR5 Tundra
    Magnaflow 12588, TSC lo-pro extra deep toolbox, step bars and bull bar
    hate to say it, but it kind of seems that everyone who has them says they are great and have had no problems. the only people saying they aren't any good are those who don't have them and are simply going off of hear-say?????

3. Nov 24, 2010 at 12:27 AM
    kite

kite Well-Known Member

Member:
    Squamish, BC
    Vehicle:
    Red Truck
    That 'look' is from spacers or lower offset rims.

What furthers your point?

4. Nov 24, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    socal4x

socal4x Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    '16 MGM DCSB OR 4x4 6MT
    The thing is, there seems to be a huge stigma around spacers. Most of it is generated by past failures, or incorrect installation of the "washer" type spacers that simply fit between the rotor and wheel without attaching to anything....Spidertrax type spacers, or adapters, or whatever you want to call them, are distinctly different, since they bolt on, and provide correct stud length for the connection of the rim.

I have them on my Jeep Liberty. The only problem I've had just that stigma again...very few people will touch the car to work on it due to liability, and Toyota is no different...I know, it sucks.

But consider this. Many people are adding the low offset and generally wider rims to their vehicles...Alot of these rims are mass produced in China, and not made to the same standards as Toyota factory wheels (though they may pass industry standards)....so if you are worried about Spidertrax, made in America to high standards, combined with a well made stock Toyota wheel, why wouldn't you be worried about the aluminum rims from China?

I'm not knocking aftermarket rims, I'm all for them, I'm just trying to dis the hype on the Spidertrax.:)

5. Nov 25, 2010 at 4:26 AM
    macjedi

macjedi Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Sacramento, California
    Vehicle:
    2011 PreRunner SR5 DCLB
    This does. You're implying that Toyota could use offset rims as exuse if something were to go wrong. Are you not? Or are you just being adversarial?

6. Nov 25, 2010 at 6:00 AM
    SR54x4

SR54x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 TRD SR5 Tundra
    Magnaflow 12588, TSC lo-pro extra deep toolbox, step bars and bull bar
    This is what im starting to think after researching the topic. Glad to hear someone else feels the same way.

7. Nov 29, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    CityTRD

CityTRD Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Southern CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    2.5 Lift, Tint, De-badge, Bed Cover, Leather, Spidertrax, Extra D Rings, Weathertech...
    I got the spacers from Spidertrax the other day and installed them on the front wheels. The install was easy. Pull off the wheels, a dab of locktite on each bolt, slip on the spacer and torque down the six supplied bolts to 80 ftlbs. The look is subtle, but it changes the stance of the truck for sure. The instructions say to check the lugs on the spacers again after 50 miles to make sure nothing got loose. I'm right around 50, so ill double check this week when I get a chance.

I tried to do all 4 but the back wheels were jammed on the hub so I couldn't get them off. I tried a rubber mallet on the rim and tire then kicking it to no avail. Its really on there. If I got a flat on the side of the road and needed to swap it out I would be screwed. Anyone ever hear or experience that?

I plan on adding the other two spacers to the rear this weekend(when I get the wheels off), its not hard, but I think Ill do a small write up if anyone is interested.

8. Dec 4, 2010 at 7:32 AM
    SCLOSKEY

SCLOSKEY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    shane
    PA
    Vehicle:
    V6 SR5 TRD
    so no one clarified, why no one has experimented or chimed in on the all pros??? they are 30 bucks cheaper a set, just curious.

9. Dec 4, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    2009 taco

2009 taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    juan
    lompton, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 sport
    jba headers, outlaw flowmaster, 3 inch pipes, k and n cold air intake, throttle body spacer, halo headlights, HIDs, deaver springs, kings all the way round, Built right UCAs, camburg spindles, Satoshi bumper and main grill, sliders
    i had some spacers not sure what brand, i didnt like them. i didn't have any problems however i always had the doubt in the back of my mind so eventually just took them off.

10. Dec 4, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    kinkrider101

kinkrider101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    santa barbara
    Vehicle:
    2007 cummins/2007 tacoma
    wheels and tires
    I have spidertraxx on the front of mine..and I ran into a sand burm in pismo and the spacers held up fine..but other things didn't haha

11. Dec 14, 2010 at 9:20 AM
    CityTRD

CityTRD Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    E
    Southern CT
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    2.5 Lift, Tint, De-badge, Bed Cover, Leather, Spidertrax, Extra D Rings, Weathertech...
  12. Dec 14, 2010 at 10:21 AM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    ^Sweet this helps a lot!

Products Discussed in

To Top