1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I worry about this spreading?

Discussion in 'Armor' started by Ihatetacomas, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Jan 22, 2017 at 7:30 PM
    Ihatetacomas

Ihatetacomas [OP] Because tacomas hate me

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Used @ 23,283 Volant Intake (w/ scoop)(removed August 2016), BAKFlip G2 Tonneau Cover, (drain tube mod), Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, Stampede Vigilante Premium VP Series Hood Protector, 5lb Extinguisher, Shovel & Axe mounted in bed, Shok Industries Sound Deadener, Mercury: (K62, MGR-1200, MGR-495) Triton 8" Subs, Custom-Made: Sub Box, Speaker Templates, Vapor Barrier, All-Pro Bumper w/Kickouts, hidden trailer hitch, wooden cup-holder Misc: Knukonceptz RCA, speaker, and power wires, Big 3 Upgrade, a very full Husky technician tool box
    Wishing I would've powder coated first

IMG_2754.jpg

2. Jan 22, 2017 at 11:53 PM
    Oowen

Oowen Goes through trucks faster then underwear

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB
    Garage Queen
    Have the same issue currently with my bumper... My fab/powdercoat guy said to use silicon and fill the area until it gets repaired. Also something about the welds bleeding?

3. Jan 22, 2017 at 11:54 PM
    Mxpatriot

Mxpatriot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 AP LT and Locked
    Wire brush + spray paint = problem solved for six months. Rinse and repeat.

1Shifter, Dalandser and ChadsPride like this.
  4. Jan 24, 2017 at 12:23 AM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Used @ 23,283 Volant Intake (w/ scoop)(removed August 2016), BAKFlip G2 Tonneau Cover, (drain tube mod), Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, Stampede Vigilante Premium VP Series Hood Protector, 5lb Extinguisher, Shovel & Axe mounted in bed, Shok Industries Sound Deadener, Mercury: (K62, MGR-1200, MGR-495) Triton 8" Subs, Custom-Made: Sub Box, Speaker Templates, Vapor Barrier, All-Pro Bumper w/Kickouts, hidden trailer hitch, wooden cup-holder Misc: Knukonceptz RCA, speaker, and power wires, Big 3 Upgrade, a very full Husky technician tool box
    What did he recommend for a repair? Full scrubdown and powdercoat or was it powdercoated already?

5. Jan 24, 2017 at 12:37 AM
    VolcomTacoma

VolcomTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4x4 6 Speed Supercharged
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    This. You can pull it off, pay for PC and then in a few months when you get some chips on it and they start rusting and you try to rattle can and it doesn't match perfectly, you'll be pissed. Just clear the rust, primer and paint. Keep doing it every 6 months.

6. Jan 24, 2017 at 11:57 AM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Thanks guys - I'm going to get it sandblasted and powdercoated instead of this paint - found a few cracks in the paint, not to mention quite a few chips underneath. Figured the best insurance is to get it done by a real powder coating company instead of a body shop that left the main screws loose during installation

7. Jan 24, 2017 at 12:03 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Front- Camburg 4x4 Long Travel 2.5" King Coilovers 2.5" King Triple Bypasses Wheelers Superbumps Rear- DMZ SUA 16" 3.0 King Triple Bypasses 3" 2.0 Fox bumps Wheels and Tires- 295/75/16 Toyo ATII XTREME SCS SR8 Dark Matte Bronze 16" Lighting- (2) 30" Combo light bars (4) Iggycorp diffused pods Tepui Ayer TRD Supercharger URD Mark III 3" Exhaust URD 4x4 Y Pipe URD CAI URD 2.85 Stealth Pulley Hurst Core Shifter with Hurst T URD Stage 3 clutch URD Lightweight flywheel URD Throw out bearing upgrade AEM Wideband AFR Gauge Speedhut Boost Gauge Craven Speed Flex Pod mount Weathertech Floor Liners BAMF Sliders Ultragauge sPod SE ARB CKMTA12 Hella Supertone horns Relentless Tailgate Reinforcement
    Did you not read what I put lol...PC is just gonna chip again...no matter what the PC shop tells you, its gonna chip, especially being on the ass end of the truck and stuff kicking up from underneath...then you're gonna find more rust spots and kick yourself for dropping PC money

Pickeledpigsfeet and colinb17 like this.
  8. Jan 24, 2017 at 12:14 PM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    @VolcomTacoma good point, missed your post while replying. What kind of primer are you using?

9. Jan 24, 2017 at 12:53 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Usually using self etching primer

Thelgord likes this.
  10. Jan 24, 2017 at 1:02 PM
    HAVVOKK

HAVVOKK Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2014 DGAF Long Bed
    Fucking look it up
    Everything volcom Taco is saying works. Sand primer paint. After a couple months inspect and touch up with spray paint. I usually go once a year sanding back down and repainting but that's cuz I dgaf

ODNAREM likes this.
  11. Jan 25, 2017 at 9:44 PM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Use a self etching primer on bare metal - Rusto makes some and it works great - sprays well and has stuck to my alloy wheels for two years with zero issues or peeling. Just rough up the surface really well with 400 - 300 grit and use whatever top coat you like.

12. Jan 25, 2017 at 10:40 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Kinda wasted energy to sand prep a surface and then use self etching primer lol. The whole point of self etching is its for unprepped surfaces that paint will not adhere to easily. So you do a light coat of self etching to give your base coat something to grab on to. If you're gonna ne sanding down rust, I wouldn't bother with self etching. Its what I use on bare metal I dont feel like doing prep work on lol, which is all metal. In your case I'd toss some sort of rustoleum rust preventer primer or something on those sanded spots and then color coat of that. Once rust starts, its a bitch to get it to stop.

Also, dont do what I did and drive through salt water with a bare metal bumper. It makes life hard when you want to paint it a week later lol

ODNAREM and Dalandser like this.
  13. Jan 25, 2017 at 10:41 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Fair enough. I used to paint houses for a living so I kind of have OCD in that area. Sanding and painting is all you need to do - especially if you use some decent spray paint like rusto bedliner or an equivalent.

14. Jan 25, 2017 at 10:47 PM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    I bought some 80 and 200 grit sandpaper along with some very fine steel wool and the self etching primer, I already have a duplicolor paint pen matched to my truck from earlier. Am I missing anything else?

Dalandser likes this.
  15. Jan 25, 2017 at 10:48 PM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    Get yourself some 300-400 grit and you should be set - maybe some rubbing alcohol for those uh-oh moments and a pair of throw away gloves. Wire brush like someone mentioned - an old barbeque brush will work.

Are you taking it off the truck to paint? If you're spraying anything the paint pen won't cover it well unless you mask off the area extremely close to the area you're spraying with masking tape. You'll just run out of paint. You can use white tape if the bumper was painted well the first time - blue if you're not so sure. Use newspaper under the tape to cover a huge area - like the whole back of the truck so you don't overspray something with the primer. Better to be safe than sorry in that dept.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  16. Jan 25, 2017 at 10:55 PM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Agreed, but alot of times theres just corners and shit you just cant sand well enough and thats where self etch shines

Dalandser[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Jan 25, 2017 at 11:09 PM
    kingk0ng

kingk0ng Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR AC
    just a few things.
    what do you guys use to take paint off?

18. Jan 26, 2017 at 1:29 AM
    Dalandser

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    Empty Wallet Mod
    What are you considering specifically?

19. Jan 26, 2017 at 6:05 AM
    Thelgord

Thelgord The Pantagonist

Member:
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD (OffRoad, 4x4)
    SOS Rocksliders, All Pro skid plate, Procomp add-a-leaf, Bilstein 5100 @ 1.75", CB, high-lift jack
    My sliders and skids are black so I like to touch up any signs of rust (to include on the frame or just about anything else on the underside) with Rust-Oleum rust reformer. It has a nice matt black color and makes a great primer. Not sure exactly how it works, but it works great, or at least has for the last couple of years that I have been using it. Once I switched from regular paint/primer to that, the small rust spots have for the most part stopped coming back.

VolcomTacoma likes this.
  20. Jan 26, 2017 at 6:26 AM
    VolcomTacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    I basically have most of my truck painted with that rust reformer stuff lol. As soon as I see a hair of rust anywhere Ill take a wire brush to it and then hit it with that stuff. Definitely helps keep the rust down. I need to do another full truck derusting and then use the 3 cans of fluid film that have been sitting on my work bench for almost a year lol

ODNAREM and Thelgord like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top