1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

shoulder surgery

Discussion in 'Health' started by sammy87, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Jan 31, 2011 at 2:58 PM
    sammy87

sammy87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    hi all, im realtively new to this forum but ive learned a lot not just about my new tacoma, but photography, health, and firearms. anyway i just had shoulder surgery on a torn labrum. it sucks im out of action for the 4 months atleast and im a pretty active guy. lifted 3x week/ran/cycled skied, other days still played adult hockey and tried to golf. wont be doing anything for a long time. anyone have this type of surgery before or have any advice?

thanks!

2. Jan 31, 2011 at 3:04 PM
    cameronlane

cameronlane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    Anywhere but there
    Vehicle:
    2014 Dbl Cab TRD OR 4x4
    Yup I tore my labrum and had surgery. I assume you are in physical therapy to help recover? if not, you should jump on the asap. My advice: do not do anything other than advised. in a few weeks your shoulder is going to start to feel better and you will think you have more range of motion than you do. DO NOT push your limits and return to normal exercise. You will further injure your shoulder and have to repeat the whole process. Take your time in recovery, it WILL take the full prescribed time to get better.

good luck =]

3. Jan 31, 2011 at 3:17 PM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    see what staying in shape does to you?

Me? I'm going to be just healthy enough that I don't break anything, but one day when I'm old, demented and grey, I'll be lying in a hospital bed, dying of nothing.:D

4. Jan 31, 2011 at 3:21 PM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    yeah i had surgery on friday, started pt today...how long was your recovery? i already had to cancel my ski trip so other than my wedding in sept i have nothing to look forward to.

5. Jan 31, 2011 at 3:24 PM
    cameronlane

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    Anywhere but there
    Vehicle:
    2014 Dbl Cab TRD OR 4x4
    my total recovery was about 6 months. But my end goal was to be back playing collegiate water polo at 100%. I was able to do most things and had decent range of motion at about 4months.

6. Jan 31, 2011 at 3:29 PM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    ok, thats what ive been told. i just want to be able to work out again asap with no worries. dont need to be a competitive athlete right now.

7. Jan 31, 2011 at 3:37 PM
    cameronlane

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    Anywhere but there
    Vehicle:
    2014 Dbl Cab TRD OR 4x4
    yeah just take it slow. You will be surprise how weak your shoulder is. I remember when they first started me on rehab exercises,I got tired after lifting a can of soup a couple dozen times.

if you are on your own, lift WAY less than you think you can. If it seems easy, wait until the next day when you are sore as shit.

8. Jan 31, 2011 at 3:39 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

As a physical therapist, I can verify that this is good advice.

Do NOT go thinking you know something and ignore the instructions of your surgeon/therapists. You will thank yourself for your prudence later.

9. Jan 31, 2011 at 4:02 PM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    yeah im following their instructions. i am def milking this, its just a lot more frustrating than i thought. i just shaved and showered and with only 1 arm, it really sucks. im afraid ill start to get depressed and pack on the lbs.

10. Jan 31, 2011 at 4:11 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

I have a right torn rotator cuff that I am trying to keep working until I die ... :D

An older buddy had rotator cuff surgery and it was worse after surgery and he had hell with it for the next 20+ years until he croaked.

After 50 ... sometimes the fix is worse than the problem ... :eek:

11. Jan 31, 2011 at 4:32 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    '09 Silver Streak TRD Off-Road
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers
    Torm larum here as well. Rotator cuff was chewed up pretty bad as well. 7 months out of work. 1 full year to 100% better. 1.5 years to get back to where I was before I hurt my arm (torn it up on 2005, had it done 2009).

Did they give you a nerve block?

12. Jan 31, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    Rear Suspension TSB, DTRL Mod, aFe Pro-Dry S,USA Spec PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Dynolock Tailgate Lock, UltraGauge OBDII Scanner, CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers

Orthopedic surgery has come a long way. Once they fix your arm, it is up to you to put the work in ang rehab it. It does not come easy by any means. If you just say eff it and skimp on the PT you can land in that boat.

13. Jan 31, 2011 at 4:40 PM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    only the labrum was damaged, bicep tendon and rotator cuff were fine. i def wont skimp on the pt, im too active to let this not heal properly. i hear the cuff is a much more intense recovery.

14. Jan 31, 2011 at 4:49 PM
    rb11701

rb11701 Oh yeah!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    My cuff was still attached just chewed up pretty bad. Looked like pulled-pork lol. Wait till they give you the one pound pink weight and it humbles you pretty fast. That was cool. lol. Best of luck. One thing, keep you mind busy. Very easy to get down in the dumps especially when taking pain killers.

15. Jan 31, 2011 at 5:16 PM
    ppleasants

ppleasants Well-Known Member

Member:
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport Doublecab Longbed
    5100's set at 2.5", toytec AAL, DIY AUX port, broken mirror fix, temp/compass fix (twice), rattle-can gunmetal sport rims, debadged doors, fog-light anytime mod, DTRL mod, rear differential breather mod, drop in K&N air filter
    I just had the bankart surgery in mid-november. my recovery hasnt been terrible but I think I've gotten a little too confident. I was lifting some things that I probably shouldn't have after about a month or 5 weeks but I always tried to remain conscious of keeping it within the range of motion that the doctor recommended. I'm not sure if I've done anything to threaten the success of the surgery but I still wish I had taken it easier just so I was sure I'd done everything possible to let it heal. I started PT after about 6 weeks so I'm really surprised you're already in it but my tear was apparently one of the nastier ones he seen. I definitely recommend taking it especially easy because like they say, you get really confident once you get a little bit of flexibility back

16. Jan 31, 2011 at 5:26 PM
    slmgt

slmgt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greater Seattle Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr)
    A middle-aged friend of mine was hit by a car coming downhill while riding his bike uphill. It messed up his shoulder and he had surgery. He said the PT worked ok but the best advice he got was not from the Physical Therapist, but from an avid Tai Chi/Martial Arts practitioner. The PT had helped, but the Tai Chi 'holding a plate/teapot upright while moving your arm throughout its normal range of motion' strategy improved his range of motion more substantially and faster than anything PT offered him. YMMV all things considered...

17. Feb 1, 2011 at 9:34 AM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    any of you guys have trouble driving? starting week#2 ill have to start driving to pt

18. Feb 1, 2011 at 11:09 AM
    Caduceus

Caduceus Well-Known Member

Member:
    in the Bluegrass
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD 4x4
    probably depends if it's a stick or not. You can always one-hand the steering wheel too. I'd worry more about whatever pain meds you take messing with your head.

19. Feb 1, 2011 at 2:26 PM
    cameronlane

Member:
    First Name:
    cameron
    Anywhere but there
    Vehicle:
    2014 Dbl Cab TRD OR 4x4
    x2 on the stick or auto. I was driving the same week back when i had an auto. He should be off any serious meds within a few days. I think i took vicodin for about 4 days then switched to advil for anti inflammatory. then stopped so i could feel my shoulder which helped me make sure i wasnt over stressing it

20. Feb 1, 2011 at 3:52 PM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    its an auto. i got rid of my 6 sp jetta thank God. its m left shoulder btw. im a lil concerned about opening and closing the door. i might have to rig a handle with a rope. im on codeine also. dont have ny pain at all, just limited mobility. the pt wexercises causes some pain though.

typing 1 handed sucks.

Products Discussed in

To Top