1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

shoulder surgery

Discussion in 'Health' started by sammy87, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Mar 18, 2011 at 5:50 PM
    johneman

johneman Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    Thanks, I hope your recovery time is short and you are back to full strength with no problems. Take care.

2. Apr 13, 2011 at 12:14 PM
    sammy87

sammy87 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    UPDATE........Friday it will be 11 weeks since surgery. I would say i have about 85% range of motion back. I am doing minimal workouts in the gym, and I can lift light objects over my head. Im restricted to 10lbs on my biceps. Running and biking is no problem now. There is almost no daily pain, and no stiffness when I wake up in the morning. It's also a lot easier to take a t shirt on and off. I hope I can get back on the ice in a month and back to normal weight training in a month.

For a while I would feel fine, but I would move my arm in a quick direction not really thinking about it, I would be on the floor crying in pain for about 20 minutes, actually tossing change in a toll booth underhand on the turnpike one night set it off. I had to pull over I was in so much pain.

Things are getting better though.

3. Apr 13, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    2KTacoPr3runn3r

2KTacoPr3runn3r Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Petaluma
    Vehicle:
    2008 Dodge Ram 1500
    Bilstein 5100 adjustables, 2 inch top plate spacer, bilstein 5100 rears and 2 inch blocks. Flowmaster super 10 with dual 4 inch tips.
    I still get this sometimes. but its got to be a really awkward movement or my shoulder has to be really tired from work or lifting. and its only on my newer repaired shoulder.

4. Apr 28, 2011 at 3:48 PM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    Update....Tomorrow will be 13 weeks since surgery and today was my last PT session. It's still a lil stiff and feels a bit week but I'm back to about 90% ROM, Im pretty strong in that shoulder, when I work it pretty hard though it gets fatigued really quick. It'll still be a month or so before I can play hockey again but Im back to almost all lifting, biking and other activities. Gonna stay away from MTN biking until I can play hockey again. I will continue to do my PT exercises at the gym 2-3 days a week with my normal weight training. That's all for now.

5. Apr 28, 2011 at 5:56 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Ease back in to your athletic activities, and try them in short doses at first, say 5 to 10 minutes to "test the water". And do so at a low intensity...say 25 to 50% of maximum effort.

Ballistic/Dynamic sport movements incur forces on joints and soft tissue that are orders of magnitude higher than controlled exercises such as are found in rehabilitative physical therapy. You do not want to go back to full bore sports immediately. Casual stuff first.

Small doses and build yourself up, just like with initial strengthening in PT. Full healing of chondral structures (i.e. cartilage, i.e. your gleno-humeral labrum, i.e. your shoulder labrum) takes 4-8 months, and that's in best case scenarios.

As a word of advice to consider as you continue your recovery: Consider consulting a physical therapist regarding your weightlifting technique, especially with exercises like overhead/military press, bench/incline press, lat pulldowns/pull-ups, and biceps/triceps exercises. Your form there may be putting you at more risk than you think.

Good luck! Glad things are going well!

6. Jun 9, 2011 at 8:11 AM
    johneman

johneman Life is good relaxin' on the porch!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Warwick,Bucks PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Go Rhino Dominator D1 step, Extang Encore Tonneau.
    Had surgery on Tuesday in the morning. Thank God for drugs. Had some major pain in the beginning but it is a lot less now. Go back to see the doc on Monday for a post op exam.I will find out more about rehab then. How are you making out Sammy?

7. Jun 9, 2011 at 10:12 AM
    sammy87

Member:
    co
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD SPORT 4X4
    Hey, hope the surgety went well and a speedy recovery. The pain will go away, for me there wasn't a whole lot unless I moved my arm akwardly, then I was on the floor for about 10 mins. That lasted for a few months, but you learn what you can and cant do. What all did you have surgery on?

I'm about 4.5 months post surgery, and I would say im 90% recovered. My ROM is almost normal, I've been strength training for about a month now. I'm still not bench pressing and limited on my biceps, other than that I'm pretty normal. I'll admit I am pretty cautous as to what I do and how I move it.

The therapy is really boring for about a month. Just basic movements, it's frustrating, I remember laying on my back trying to raise my arms to about 30% up from my waist. It was damm near im possible. The whole gravity of the situation and how long and slow teh recovery sunk in there. But The weeks will start to go by, and looking back it wasn't that bad. (wouldnt want to do it again though) I hope in another month I will be 100%. I will say this, my shoulder I had surgery on is now probaly stronger than my good shoulder. My good shoulder is now underdeveloped.

Good luck with everything, Hope you have a safe and quick recovery.

Products Discussed in

To Top