1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Show off your aux fuse panels.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Newlife, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Aug 19, 2017 at 7:43 AM
    LadyRed

LadyRed Making all the right wrong turns

Member:
    First Name:
    Leah
    Florida/Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 TRD OR DCSB
    OME Lift Total Chaos UCA SCS Ray 10s
    Hoping to get some help here :)
    I am planning on installing a aux fuse panel and I honestly have no idea what I am doing. Does anyone have a detailed thread on how to do this? I don't even know what fuses to install for my lights and winch, or what gauge of wire I need to connect the breaker to the battery. Any help would be much appreciated!!

2. Aug 19, 2017 at 7:44 AM
    LadyRed

Member:
    First Name:
    Leah
    Florida/Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 TRD OR DCSB
    I hope mine can look this clean after! I don't even know where to start right now to make sure I do this right lol.

txtaco87[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Aug 19, 2017 at 7:53 AM
    txtaco87

txtaco87 Budget Travel Hard AF

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DCSB
    PreRun hard AF
    Takes a little bit of time. I'm OCD and didn't want excess or a rats nest of wires. So I've been making everything exact length in terms of the power/ground for the panel and how I wanted it routed. This is the set I made for @ChadsPride IMG_3293.jpg

And for the accessories I'm hooking to it, I'm taking my time, routing nicely, wrap in loom, exact length with a little excess.

Wanted the ditch light harness to look somewhat factory, like it's supposed to be there too lol
    IMG_1813.jpg

4. Aug 19, 2017 at 8:26 AM
    yonah

yonah Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calling-in from east of the Rockies
    I would recommend purchasing a finished product like the SPOD:

http://www.4x4spod.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=700-Mod

It's pricey, but you'll spend damn near that building your own aux fuse panel
    /relay set up. Trust me.

---

EDIT: SwitchPros is another great option:

http://www.switchpros.com/

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    txtaco87 likes this.
  5. Aug 19, 2017 at 9:57 AM
    LadyRed

Member:
    First Name:
    Leah
    Florida/Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 TRD OR DCSB
    What gauge wire are you using to connect to the battery? Also, what fuses do you recommend for lights?

Thanks!

6. Aug 19, 2017 at 9:59 AM
    txtaco87

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DCSB
    PreRun hard AF
    Ya the spod is nice af! You only route one pre-made harness into the cab and hook up to your switches. And here I am making switch harnesses :anonymous:
    IMG_3354.jpg

7. Aug 19, 2017 at 10:22 AM
    txtaco87

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DCSB
    PreRun hard AF
    I used 8g copper wire and copper eyelets for the power/ground cables for the aux panel. I'm not running on board air or a winch. And for 0-4ft 8g is perfectly fine given the circuit breaker is 100a. For my LED lights hooked to the panel I'm using 15a fuses

IMG_3357.jpg

ready6delta and LadyRed[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Aug 19, 2017 at 10:25 AM
    schmack b

schmack b Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarksdale, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB TRD OR M/T
    This is a pretty good write up of a diy solution.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/wiring-an-aux-fuse-block-relays-and-switches-in-a-2016.401253/
    This will explain a lot about the wiring and ratings for everything.
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...fuse-relay-block.399454/page-20#post-15763685.

CRW, LadyRed[QUOTED] and txtaco87 like this.
  9. Aug 19, 2017 at 11:40 AM
    LadyRed

Member:
    First Name:
    Leah
    Florida/Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 TRD OR DCSB
    Thank you! That helps a lot! Could you use 10g for hooking it to the battery?

10. Aug 19, 2017 at 11:40 AM
    LadyRed

Member:
    First Name:
    Leah
    Florida/Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 TRD OR DCSB
  11. Aug 19, 2017 at 2:23 PM
    txtaco87

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DCSB
    PreRun hard AF
    Personally I wouldn't depending on what all you will be hooking up to it. I will only be running some led lights and whatnot. Someone else will have to chime in to give you a better answer. But I used the chart I posted. My circuit breaker is 100a, and wires are less than 4ft so I went with 8g. Bought 5ft red and 5ft black from O'Reillys via bulk wire. Made my set and chads set, and still have enough left over for another lol.

LadyRed[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Aug 19, 2017 at 5:03 PM
    yonah

yonah Well-Known Member

Member:
    Calling-in from east of the Rockies
    When building an auxiliary power setup or adding another electrical accessory, I use BlueSea's Circuit Wizard to calculate the appropriate wire gauge based upon the amp draw and wire length. It's a great tool. I find the website version is a bit more user friendly when compared to the mobile app.

http://circuitwizard.bluesea.com/

lynyrd3, txtaco87 and LadyRed like this.
  13. Aug 19, 2017 at 5:22 PM
    LadyRed

Member:
    First Name:
    Leah
    Florida/Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 TRD OR DCSB
    I really appreciate the help. Sorry for pestering with a lot of questions.

☺️

14. Aug 19, 2017 at 9:08 PM
    txtaco87

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    Houston, Tx
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DCSB
    PreRun hard AF
    No problem! I'll help with what I can, but that's what TW is for:cheers:

lynyrd3 and LadyRed[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Aug 19, 2017 at 11:03 PM
    bagleboy

bagleboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Norcal, Santa Rosa
    Vehicle:
    2014 5-lug AC 2.7L VVTI
    Snug top Rebel, Thule tracks, ditch tracks, Bagged rear suspension, F/R anytime camera, intermittent wiper switch...
    Here's a link to the thread that I've been studying along with this one and others. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/diy-build-and-install-a-bussmann-rtmr-fuse-relay-block.399454/
    Basically, you size wire according to the current load of your auxiliary device and choose the fuse to match. Relays are used to control currents that are too high for a switch. The battery cables to the auxiliary block need to handle the current of all the auxiliary devices it fuses and have its own separate fuse or breaker that matches the auxiliary block max current. The wires going to the switches that control the relays carry less current(~100mA) so they don't need to be as heavy as the auxiliary device wires. Lots to learn but if you take the time it sinks in eventually. Don't worry about asking questions, worst case somebody eats their size 12's trying to make you feel small.

hunter357mag and LadyRed[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Aug 20, 2017 at 4:34 AM
    LadyRed

Member:
    First Name:
    Leah
    Florida/Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    2016 4x4 TRD OR DCSB
    Thank you! It's been great learning all of this. I just didn't realize how much there was to learn! But this is all part of the reason why I got my truck.

schmack b likes this.
  17. Aug 20, 2017 at 8:10 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    To calculate amperage for each circuit / load -
    Take the rated power of your device (expressed in watts) : Current (amps) = Power (Watts) / 13.6 VDC
    - you could also use 12V as the Voltage value for loads operating when the engine is not running.

To determine the best size fuse - ex If the calculated current value comes out to 7.8 Amps - the next available fuse sizes are either 5A or 10A; install the next size up at 10A. Your wire size should be rated as per the fuse size.

For LED lights, typically the rated power is theoretical. Ex a 50W LED comprised of ten 5W LEDs is not run at the rated LED power as it would self destruct. Typically the actual power & current is 75% of rated maximum. That said, fuses are there to blow quickly if something goes wrong, and the current value, typically when something goes wrong increases rapidly. A Fuse rated at 10A will tolerate 10A load for a few seconds, whereas if the current rises rapidly above 10A the fuse will blow much faster reacting in a few thousands of a second.

CRW, yonah and txtaco87[QUOTED] like this.
  18. Aug 20, 2017 at 9:06 AM
    buyobuyo

buyobuyo Read The Fucking Manual

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5, I4, Manual, Silver
    A thing or two...
    Actually, fuses are rated to hold 110% of their rated capacity nearly indefinitely at room temperature, so a 10A fuse will hold 11 amps without burning out. There are derating factors that come into play at higher temperatures but it takes a lot of heat to get to a 10% derating of the fuse. Take a look at the fuse datasheet linked below. Even at 60C (140F), you're only at a derating of 5% of the rated capacity. A 10A fuse would act like a 9.5A fuse and hold 10.5A without burning out. If you want the fuse to burn out at a specific current/time threshold then you would want to downsize your fuse.

http://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/a...fuses/littelfuse_lowprofilemini_datasheet.pdf

VE7OSR[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Aug 21, 2017 at 5:30 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Yes, you can get fuses with different ratings/ time delays but generally when something goes wrong, the amperage climbs rapidly, and the fuse blows. If you have sensitive electronics then specific fast blow fuses are used, but for automotive use, normal delays are fine. For motor loads such as an air compressor, resettable circuit breakers are better, as the motor has a hi in rush current that can sometimes pop fuses that react too quickly.

20. Aug 22, 2017 at 10:19 AM
    TheDrMaSuess

TheDrMaSuess Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Loren
    South Jordan, UT
    Vehicle:
    "Big-Red" Tacoma
    Custom Bumper Fab'd by me, Warn VR-8s, Cab mount chop, Dosecc Sliders, Dosecc BedCage, CVT RTT, Timbren active offroad bumpstops F/R, Nitto Ridge Grappler, Blue Sea Systems Aux Fuse Block, PIAA Fogs, Rough Country X5 LIghtbar, EBC Stage 5 Brake Pads/rotors, 6" Tough Country Lift (hate it), AFE Cold air intake, Custom Exhaust, Nascar Tip
    Yonah... Love the truckbed! That is some mad work there. I wish I had that! Eventually I'll get to the Dual Battery Set-up

Products Discussed in

To Top