1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SHTF First Aid training / kit?

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by Rujack, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Dec 11, 2019 at 8:03 PM
    Rujack

Rujack [OP] Stop Global Whining

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road 6 speed manual
    I wasn't sure where to post this, but this seemed like a reasonable forum.

I've been wanting to get training for first aid beyond just the very basic stuff like how to splint a broken bone and treat superficial burns etc.

I've got a 5 year old so I want to learn pediatric first aid and CPR as well.

Is there such a program out there that teaches how to do things like sutures and administer anesthetic? Or is the bulk of this type of thing regulated out of access for civilians? Would I have to go full EMT training?

Also interested in hearing about bug out quality first-aid supplies. I've seen quite a few online, many of which seem to be overpriced band aids and Tylenol in a gimmicky bag...

2. Dec 11, 2019 at 8:10 PM
    BalutTaco

BalutTaco Moja_Przygoda

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Limo Trail Edition -> 2022 Magnetic Grey OR
    Bird nest engine bay.
    I was told its best to build your own first-aid kit, So you would know what you have in your kit. Some people would buy these expensive kits and never know how to use them. You can probably take a community college course for First aid/AED/CPR.

Rujack[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  3. Dec 11, 2019 at 8:14 PM
    Hobbs

Hobbs Anti-Lander from way back…

Member:
    Yep…
    Vehicle:
    Rock Bangen', Desert Tamin', Gold Findin' Machine!
    Perhaps take a look at NOLS. I thoroughly enjoyed the Wilderness First Aid course I took a few years back!

EDIT: link =
    https://www.nols.edu/en/

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 8.13.20 PM.jpg

Rujack[OP] likes this.
  4. Feb 23, 2020 at 11:24 AM
    Noyak20

Noyak20 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Check out Overland Bound on youtube. There is a trauma surgeon on there that describes a trauma pack and how to use it. Im a physician myself and most of the things outside of the hospital can be done by anyone with a little training. It's stabilize until you can get to a higher level of care.

search "vehicle based trauma kit: what a trauma surgeon carries" to get you started. He has lots of useful info. Built my kit off his advice

TacoEspecial, dlb97as and elmontemike like this.
  5. Apr 15, 2020 at 2:03 PM
    mrtonyd

mrtonyd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCSB cement
    highly recommend a nols course. ive taken a few different first aid/cpr classes and a wilderness firstaid through NOLS and wilderness medicine. the wilderness first aid, WFA, is more detailed on stuff you would encounter while youre away from civilization. like if you were boating/kayaking, out hiking, using only what you have on you. The WFA is just first aid, not take care of anything. If you have time, a wilderness first responder, WFR, is much more in depth, typically takes like a week, but is very good to know. some friends have taken the WFR and its insane what you learn.

Products Discussed in

To Top