1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Shudder on Acceleration in left turn only?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Crusher 2, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Jun 2, 2009 at 11:30 AM
    Crusher 2

Crusher 2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Virginia
    Vehicle:
    19 DCSB, SR5, Cavalry Blue, mostly stock
    Guys and Gals, need your help here. Any ideas?

This past week my truck (06 Double cab, SB, V6, SR5) has developed a wierd "shudder". It is only noticeable at slow acceleration in a left turn. Like pulling out of a parking space to the left. Or accelerating from a stop in a left turn lane. I can't get it to do it on a right turn or straighaway start. It only lasts a few seconds. Once the truck is moving 5-10 MPH or more I cannot replicate it. It kinda feels like an oversize tire rubbing. (My tires and wheels are stock) I removed the front mudflaps a while ago.

Also noticed when the truck is parked with the front wheel straight the rear end of the truck leans to the right. I measured and the bumper is off by 1" from side to side. At first I thought maybe I had a low tire, but tire pressures are equal side to side. I need to get underneath and take some measurements from frame to axle/springs and see if there is a difference side to side. I had the rear spring TSB done last fall.

Do you think the two could be related?

Any reccomendations of an independent "toyota" shop in northern VA area?

Thanks!

2. Jun 2, 2009 at 11:31 AM
    RelentlessFab

RelentlessFab Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Sparks, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 AC 6mt>03 SR5 >08 Sport and 17 6MT TRD OR
    Relentless Armored! Too many others to list.
    sounds strange, dont know what it can be off hand. Subscribed.

3. Jun 2, 2009 at 11:40 AM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    Well thats the Tacoma Lean. Just get a 1" spacer and it will solve that.

as for the shudder. I ave had this experience but its usually after i go trailing. and it usually happens when I turn right.

4. Jun 2, 2009 at 12:24 PM
    A.D.

A.D. Desert Riding Ninja

Member:
    SoC♠l 4 life but stationed in Utah
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    I had the same experience with my Chevy, used to shudder out of a left turn at real slow speeds, then it got worse and every once in awhile when trying to turn left at speed it feels as if it has lost power steering, and takes a couple of cranks before it decides to start working again. I know what the problem in my Chevy is, it is the power steering gear box, its failing, but it costs a fortune to get it swapped out, so i have just put up with it.

5. Jun 2, 2009 at 12:28 PM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    I had exactly the same thing, I haven't noticed it recently though. I had the stealership look at it when I was getting a 40k service and they couldn't find it.

6. Jun 3, 2009 at 1:25 PM
    Crusher 2

Member:
    N. Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for your replies...so far

7. Jun 3, 2009 at 1:27 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Is the tread damaged at all, especially inner wear?

8. Jun 3, 2009 at 1:51 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    I gotta ask the stupid question, did you look around your CV's? Your axle could be going. See if you get alotta play out of your CVs. They could just wobble a bit a slow speeds, but once you get up to speed they balance out. I had a very similar feeling when a CV went out on another vehicle. Replaced the CV and it went away.

Thats my best bet.

9. Jun 3, 2009 at 2:35 PM
    TacoMOnster07

TacoMOnster07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 6speed 4x4 BSP Sr5
    BHLM, Grillcraft, Urd SS, Urd TCAI, Urd MAF Calibrator, AeroTurbine Exhaust, TacoTune Single Din, Two 8" Infinity Subs, 12-13000 HID's, Xtreme Bedrack light bar with two KC 4 by 6 lights.
    Truck leans because the gas tank and driver are all on the same side. More weight on the right all the time settles the suspension. I would check everything steering related, cv joints, ball joints, should all feel tight. Probably start with the driver side, just go and give a a tug to all your joints. Be carefull, don't rip any boots or get your hand caught up anywhere. A "shutter" just turning one way is new for me, I will ask my teacher tomorrow if he has any ideas on what to check.

10. Jul 29, 2009 at 5:46 AM
    Crusher 2

Member:
    N. Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Hey Guys and Gals,

OP here. Just to follow up.... I think it is repaired. (fingers crossed for now) On my first visit to the dealership service dept we took it out for a ride...and of course it would not do it with the shop foreman in the drivers seat. So we switched places. Still would not do it. On the way home I was thinking that day was one our first 90+ degree days here. So I assumed it was temperature related. Thinking it may be tire tread related I replaced the front tires. No change. I knew I would be out of town for a few days so I made arrangements to leave the the truck with the service manager and shop foreman. I asked them to drive it home daily and see what they could find. They spent a lot of time driving it and it would do it in the morning but once everything was warmed up it would stop. After 5-6 days and a lot of trial and error, (and numerous conversations with Toyota techies) On a hunch the shop foreman checked the rear differential fluid. He went back and checked computerized records and saw that it had been replaced at 30k as reccommended (at another dealership)(I'm now at 50 k). What he did not see was the LSD additive that Toyota recommends on the receipt. He decided to replace the rear diff fluids. Suddenly the problem was gone! We suspect the 30k service (done at the other dealership) did not put in the special LSD oil required for this differential. I'm out about a week now and over 300 miles and no shudder! So the assumption is the gear oil that was in there was deteriorating and not allowing things to "slip" as they should when making a tight turn. BTW.. there is a sticker on the rear diff near the fill hole that says "use LSD oil only". Go figure.

thanks for your replys! (oh and i'm still leaning....maybe I need to shed a few pounds!)

Products Discussed in

To Top