1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Side Turn Signal Repeaters / Markers Mod

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Crom, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Apr 23, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    Crom

Crom [OP] Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I always felt that the taco would benefit from side turn signals and I didn't want to mess with making the running light do double duty as alternating flashers. I wanted something different so I added some axillary turn signals on the flank (side). It really helps. Drivers on my side can see my intentions and they seem to GTFO the way much quicker now.

[​IMG]

If you're going to do this mod it's probably a good idea to read up on vehicle codes for your State. If you have DTRL and you perform this mod, the LED's will behave the same way because it's the same circuit.
    Parts for the mod

1. 2 x 12v LED modules yellow (waterproof)
    2. 12' split wire loom
    3. vinyl electrical tape.
    4. solder and soldering iron
    5. 12' hookup wire
    6. wire stripping tool
    7. Liquid Tape
    8. 4 x quick splices
    Step #1 Prepare your LED and harness.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Solder the leads of the LED module to 6' of hookup wire. I state 6' but when everything is said and done your new harness will probably use 5' of wire. Protect the connections with heat-shrink and then a couple coats of liquid tape, which should make the connection waterproof.

[​IMG]

Next put the wire into split wire loom. Leave the LED with about 3" of wire out one end. Wrap the split wire loom with the vinyl electrical tape.

[​IMG]

Now, take the end of the harness with the LED on it. You will want to seal the end of the split wire loom with liquid tape. This should make it impervious to water. Stuff some material into the end of split wire loom to build a base if you want to. I found a rubber grommet that worked well but anything should do. Now apply liberally several coats of liquid tape. Read the bottle for instructions. When it cures it will be waterproof.

[​IMG]

Step #2 Prepare your truck

Open your drivers side door and look at the weather stripping between the body and front quarter panel. Grab it at the top and peel this back so you can make a passageway between the door hinge and the top of the engine bay. It's actually pretty perfect (the route of the harness).

[​IMG]

Next protect the LED with some vinyl tape during install. Route your new wire harness accordingly. To get the LED module to the door hinge area through the engine bay you'll need a pull/push stick. I used a very stiff wire as a push stick.

[​IMG]

Push the LED to its location and remove the stick.

I used some alcohol to clean the paint and when it vaporized I affixed the LED to the trucks surface just below the first crease in the fender.

The LED comes with 3M adhesive tape so its very durable and well suited for an exterior connection.

[​IMG]

Once the LED is mounted push the excess wire and wire harness behind the weather stripping. Pull the excess back into the engine bay if you have to. Now push back the weather stripping back into it's original location. You should now have about 1.5" of black wire that pokes around the weather stripping. It should look super clean.

[​IMG]

Step #2 Splice into the factory harness.

Locate the factory harness for your turn signal.

[​IMG]

Unravel the electrical tape and expose the wires.

[​IMG]

The blue is +12V and the black/white is ground. Tap into the wires. I used a quick splice but before I put the wires into it, I dropped a bunch of liquid tape into it before I pressed the connection closed. When it cures I presume this would make it waterproof. It was a bit messy but it worked. I had some 2" split wire loom laying around and I used about 6" to protect my splices, I then sealed it up with a fresh wrap of vinyl tape. It looks bombproof.

[​IMG]
    Step #3 Test your new side turn signal.

The hazard switch is a good way to test your new turn signals. Hopefully all is good.

Step #4 Repeat on the passenger side.

Here is a picture of the passenger side aux / side marker wire harness wire path.

[​IMG]

Videos:
    My camera does not do well in the dark...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1nwRMtb3vg

Credit:

I'd like to thank Wing103 for his willingness to share long after he'd completed his mod.

LED module uses 6 PLCC-2 style surface mount LEDs with a wide 110 degree viewing angle. Specs: Current draw: 80 mA Length: 2.25", Width:0.375", Height:0.25"

They're very bright and I'm very happy with them.

UPDATE JULY 2010

After several months of lots of sunshine and lots of 100° F + heat I can tell you that the LED's are holding up very well. They have yellowed slightly due to the UV exposure, but I expect them to be fine.

UPDATE JULY 2012

After two years they're still working like the first day I installed them. :)

UPDATE FEB 2016

Still working flawlessly.

Here are some more pictures of the finished product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    Max8, M61guru, Biscuits and 4 others like this.
  2. Apr 23, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    whoa cool!

3. Apr 23, 2010 at 4:13 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Looks good! :thumbsup: I'll be waiting for pics of how you mounted to the truck. I can sorta visualize it, but close up pics would be cool.

Will have to look at the wiring some more to figure out how it'll work with my alternating turn signals.

4. Apr 23, 2010 at 7:44 PM
    c0astie31

c0astie31 TACO SUPREME

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Long Island ny
    Vehicle:
    2011 4Runner Trail Edition
    A LOT
    it will flash the same way he has shown, unless you flip the connections aeound then it will flash the same as the corner light.

5. Apr 23, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    dhurley

dhurley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    Looks good! I've seen one that mounts to the back side of the mirrors on the doors, but they are big. These are small, but very bright. Nice:D BTW, where did you get the LEDs??

6. Jul 6, 2010 at 3:54 PM
    Primersinmyshoe

Primersinmyshoe Old Sheepdog

Member:
    St. Louis, MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Limited MGM
    None (yet)
    Crom, great mod. Can you show us a close up picture of the new light taken during the day? Thanks.

7. Jul 7, 2010 at 2:09 PM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Primersinmyshoe, I have updated the OP with some recent photos. Hopefully that is what you wanted. Let me know if you have more questions. Aside from my sliders, this has been my favorite mod to my truck.

8. Jul 7, 2010 at 2:18 PM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    See quote below.

9. Jul 7, 2010 at 2:21 PM
    MadeInMaine

MadeInMaine MadeInMaine

Member:
    First Name:
    Owen
    Biloxi, MS
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner
    oooooh

nice!

10. Jul 9, 2010 at 3:08 PM
    MiikeyD

MiikeyD The Green Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Upland, CA
    Vehicle:
    Green Prerunner DC 2.7L
    Suspension / Wheels / Tires 3.5" Fabtech lift w/ AAL 265/75/16 BFG A/T American Racing Baja Audio Alpine HU CDA-9886 Kicker DS650 Z-Edition 1000W Memphis M3 US Amps 4000W 2.5Farad Cap Lighting 6000K HID 2 Hella 500FF 2 Aux Bed Lights 2 Aux Driving Lights Performance Volant CAI Flomaster Super 44 Doug Thorley Long Tube headers (coming soon) NGK Iridium Sparkplugs Accessories Scanguage II Cobra LTD27-NW with 3' Firestik Radio Shack Triple Trunking Scanner Harbor Freight Hi-Lift Cosmetics Flat Black Bumper Trim Flat Black Grill Surrounding with Satoshi Clear Corners Future Modifications (not specific) Longtravel w/ king shocks or fox Caged bed Shackles rear suspension. Fox / king shocks custom front bumper Custom Glassworks extreme kit for 01-04 (only have hood and passenger side.. need driver panel) Supercharger + 8port intake manifold optima yellow top battery remounted new rims caged interior rear bench removal 4 sparc
    nicee i was thinking of putting something like those on after i get new fiberglass fenders.. so the light would stick out more and therefore tell drivers HEY I'm Coming!!

11. Jul 9, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Very nicely done.

12. Jul 12, 2010 at 10:55 AM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    This is definitely possible and I think it's a good idea.

I think they do help.

Thanks!

13. Nov 23, 2010 at 11:51 AM
    OutbackHack

OutbackHack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Heavy
    Maybe I missed where it was posted, but where did you get those LED modules? They look nicer than most I've seen.

14. Nov 23, 2010 at 2:55 PM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    I got them from here: http://www.oznium.com/led-modules

They're holding up pretty good. The UV light from the sun is starting to degrade the epoxy they are encased in but they still look and function very well.

If anyone knows of a cheap reliable UV clear coat that can be applied please let me know.

Thanks

15. Nov 23, 2010 at 3:04 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Cool i like lighting projects!!

16. Nov 23, 2010 at 6:31 PM
    OutbackHack

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Heavy
    Thanks, just ordered a pair and can't wait to install them.

I've used 303 UV treatment on my kayaks for years and plan on using it on my soft-top now that I have it on my truck full time. Seems to work and it's fairly cheap.

17. Dec 25, 2010 at 12:36 PM
    OutbackHack

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Golden, CO
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Heavy
    Just finished installing the new side marker lights on my truck. Didn't do as good a job water proofing all the wiring, hopefully everything stays intact till I get under the hood again.

IMG_2058.jpg
    IMG_2056.jpg
    IMG_2063.jpg

Crom[OP] likes this.
  18. Dec 26, 2010 at 8:05 PM
    Crom

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Millions
    Outstanding! Looks good, I like your pictures. Other drivers will see your intentions much better now. :thumbsup: I can only guess why Toyota didn't do this from the factory. :notsure:

19. Dec 27, 2010 at 11:31 AM
    gov875

gov875 WahooTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Pacific Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport DCLB
    Wet Okole's (front & rear), Weathertech Floormats (front & rear), cheap tailgate theft mod, extra d-rings, low profile toolbox (flat black), Thule Roof Rack (58" load bars), Thule Ski/Snowboard Roof Rack, Blacked Out Badges, Fishing Bobber Trailer Ball Cover, AVIC-X930BT w/ XM & steering controls, 5100s All Around (front set at .85), Eibach Coils, Rear TSB, rear AAL, LR UCAs, Toytec Diff. Drop, Mudflap Delete, Tailgate Reinforcement, Spidertrax (all 4), 285 Nittos, Rear Diff Breather Extension, TRD Exhaust, Powered Rear Sliding Window, DeeZee Bedmat, rear-view anytime mod, trailer bracket relocate, fog light anytime mod, redline hood struts, Satoshi with Homertaco Custom TRD Mesh, Hella 500s behind the grill, Brighter Reverse Lights
    looks good! wiring looks like a PITA but sure would be nice to have the side turn signal

20. Sep 1, 2011 at 8:23 PM
    w8n4mud

w8n4mud I'm back.

Member:
    First Name:
    Albert
    Chula Vista, CA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Off Road DCSB
    Stock. Purchased 2/17/19. Cement!
    Holy revival Batman...
    Crom, I've got a couple of questions for you.
    1) Do you still have the turn signals on your truck?
    2) Do/did you have Day Time Running Lights on your truck? I'm asking because before I tap into it, I'm wondering if my side turn signal would remain lit if I have the DTRL feature.

I purchased a heavy duty LED turn signal that's going to require a 3/4" hole on the fender. I'm wondering if I need to tap into the rear turn signal. Any thoughts?

Products Discussed in

To Top