1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Simple dash switch wiring question.

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Big_Salad, May 11, 2020.

?

In which way will OP perish?

1. Electrical fire

2. Electrical shock

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. May 14, 2020 at 12:18 PM
    Big_Salad

Big_Salad [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement TRD OR DCLB
    Iiiiinteresting. Didn't even consider this but it's absolutely the case that the radio has a freakin' on/off button. Never actually hit it before. God damn man. I feel...dumb.

VirusCage and Gunshot-6A[QUOTED] like this.
  2. May 14, 2020 at 12:20 PM
    VirusCage

VirusCage Well in the secondary immune response

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Allison Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 1995 Landcruiser 2015 Highlander XLE
    Hood deflector, window vent visors, stainless steps, kb voodoo bedrack, bed cubby cap seals, meso ext fuse cover, meso lower switch panel, 4xhella horns, power tray aux panel, 2wd lo mod, rear FU lights, bed led lights, BPF SKID and Hook, rear view mirror usb power ports, front and rear dash cam, front and rear cam anytime mod, cherry air freshener! Anytime 400watt, inside 110v outlet, BPF Skid plate, BPF shackle mount,
    the center panel there is not a bus panel, it is a fused blue sea panel. All the greens would be protected by a 7.5 or 5 amp fuse. All the other positions are fused as well.

3. May 14, 2020 at 12:21 PM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    Sometimes you just gotta sound it out to realize you're over complicating things. Happens to the best of us.

73, KD7TRD :hattip:

4. May 14, 2020 at 12:27 PM
    Big_Salad

Big_Salad [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement TRD OR DCLB
    For sure I have the same panel. Just wasn't sure the switch could handle the full force of the battery, but trying to suss that out in my head gave me additional understanding that tapping a fuse in the internal fuse block is exactly the same as going through the blue sea panel. Just needs to be fused properly to prevent dying in a fire.

VirusCage[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. May 18, 2020 at 7:44 AM
    Gnarbuckle85

Gnarbuckle85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    H-Town, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport DCLB Silver
    DON'T JOIN TACOMA WORLD!! JUST DON'T!
    Gigitty goo! Man, wish I would have see your post this weekend when I spent (3) days wiring and re-wiring my whole fuse/relay panel to switch set up.

6. May 18, 2020 at 1:44 PM
    VirusCage

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Allison Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    Hood deflector, window vent visors, stainless steps, kb voodoo bedrack, bed cubby cap seals, meso ext fuse cover, meso lower switch panel, 4xhella horns, power tray aux panel, 2wd lo mod, rear FU lights, bed led lights, BPF SKID and Hook, rear view mirror usb power ports, front and rear dash cam, front and rear cam anytime mod, cherry air freshener! Anytime 400watt, inside 110v outlet, BPF Skid plate, BPF shackle mount,
    I'm going to do a write up here soon

7. Jan 8, 2021 at 7:00 AM
    VirusCage

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Allison Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    Did it all work out?

8. Feb 20, 2021 at 5:30 PM
    mwrood

mwrood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Voodoo Blue TRD Premium Sport
    Reading through a bunch of posts and came across this. Just to make sure I under what you did, your switches are always hot, right? Meaning anything they control can be turns on with the truck off?

If that is correct, if I wanted to make the switches hot only when the truck was on, would I just tap all of the green wires from the switch harnesses into a switched fuse (inside the cab)? If so, what size fuse? From what I am understanding, using relays keeps the draw low on the switches themselves, so the Andrade should be fairly low?

Sorry, I’m a complete newb at this and just trying to make sure I fully understand.

9. Feb 21, 2021 at 8:47 AM
    VirusCage

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Allison Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    Correct, my accessories can be turned on anytime, but the switch main LEDS only light up when the truck is on. If I switch the accessory on with the truck off, the status LED does light.
    I did this because I use the rear LED pods with the truck off while I am fishing at night, or loading stuff in and out of the bed with the truck off. If you want nothing on with the truck off, then yes use a circuit/fuse that only has power when the ignition is on.

10. Feb 21, 2021 at 9:00 AM
    mwrood

mwrood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the response and info! I’m trying to learn about relays and wiring switches as I go along, but your diagram helped out tremendously.

Since your switches are always hot, is there any draw on your battery when the truck is off and the accessories are off? Even just a small draw from the switch itself?

Based on your setup (which is very similar to what I am thinking about doing), is there a way to have half of the fuse block always hot and half switched? I’m assuming not since there is only one positive terminal on the fuse block.

11. Feb 21, 2021 at 9:02 AM
    diabetiktaco

diabetiktaco Instalander

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Lexus LX 470
    Not sure if it helps but I did this short video on the switchpro which may answer some questions..

https://youtu.be/wRzcTMKVecI

12. Feb 21, 2021 at 9:07 AM
    VirusCage

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Allison Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    So the switches have no appreciable draw while the truck is off since they are not actually closing the circuit, the LEDS would draw a very small amount if I had them hot. Now obviously, if I turn on the switch, the status LED and the accessory would be drawing from the system.
    There are fuse boxes that allow you to have two different circuits in them, the one I use only had one positive feed, so only one circuit.

13. Feb 21, 2021 at 9:14 AM
    mwrood

mwrood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Gotcha. Seems like my understanding is accurate then. Another question if you don’t mind; I know the fuse block is used to ground the relays typically. Where do you normally ground the accessory itself at? Just anywhere on the chassis? Or run it back up to the fuse block?

14. Feb 21, 2021 at 9:15 AM
    mwrood

mwrood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks! Gonna check it out now. I’ll PM you if I have any questions. Thanks again!

15. Feb 21, 2021 at 5:01 PM
    VirusCage

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Allison Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    I grounded the relays on the bus bar I added, I grounded the accessories at a factory ground near them, or anywhere in the chassis

16. Feb 21, 2021 at 5:08 PM
    mwrood

mwrood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info!

17. Feb 21, 2021 at 5:21 PM
    VirusCage

Member:
    First Name:
    Bruce
    Allison Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    No problem, there are lots of helpful members on here. Many helped me as well.

18. Feb 21, 2021 at 5:34 PM
    mwrood

mwrood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    For sure. I usually always get helpful advice. Only had one or two of “those guys”. Haha.

I always try to figure things out on my own, but there’s always conflicting info. Considering these trucks are filled with electronics nowadays I don’t wanna go frying anything. Better to ask people who know.

VirusCage[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top