1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

single cab troubles

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by sbg2014, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Nov 19, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    Syncros

Syncros Well-Known Member

Member:
    If Toyota offered the regular cab in Canada, I would have bought a brand new truck instead of my used Access Cab(private sale).. Im used to the small cab, I upgraded from an 83.

Their loss.

2. Nov 19, 2011 at 4:41 PM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    I have had access cabs and find I truly prefer to drive the regular cab. I have upgraded my tires and this truck now handles like a go cart. I catch myself smiling a lot as I go through a curve. I do have to clean out the cab more often. Where in the access cab I tended to haul junk that I tossed in back. No adult wants to ride in the back of an access cab for very long. As I chose the automatic transmission, my truck came with bucket seats. So, my opinion of a regular cab is very good. My decision was based on many things of course, carrying multiple passengers even in my access cab was seldom. So that made a regular cab a perfect choice for me.

3. Dec 28, 2011 at 12:03 PM
    ffbartlett

ffbartlett Well-Known Member

Member:
    southern california
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg Cab 4x4
    tint, bfg's, 5100's, tunnel cover.
    best truck I've owned!

4. Dec 31, 2011 at 3:22 PM
    rydaniels

rydaniels Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    4x4 4cyl manual
    bone stock except tool box in bed
    I also love getting 23-25 mpg in my 4x4...just hate the lack of power sometimes...really noticeable in a strong headwind....solid truck though glad i didnt get a wrangler

5. Dec 31, 2011 at 6:48 PM
    Navelfunk

Navelfunk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phyllis
    WA
    Vehicle:
    '03 DC SR5 V6 4x4
    Cap, incorrect rims & tires, stereo...
    ...Don't let the tone mislead you. I wouldn't of bought another truck. It's my first truck, and my first brand new vehicle. I just wish Toyota wouldn't be so stingy to reg. cab owners. I had no interest in an access or double cab, whatsoever.

6. Apr 21, 2012 at 10:26 AM
    Mikk

Mikk Active Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg. Cab, Auto, 4x4
    K&N CAI, Magnaflow muffler, Xenon (non-HID) high/low, Reese aftermarket reciever/plug n play 4 pin, "Taco" badge, 4x4 mud flaps and no further markings Bilstein 5100's at all 4 corners - struts set at 2 inches taller, rear stock height. Magnaflow Exhaust, K&N intake, Husky box carpeted w/LED lights - secured by pros, mounts for AR15.
    I have only owned for a month - love mine. Seriously, if you have a fam, buy the double cab (when was the last time you shoehorned yourself into the back seat of an access cab?)

Get the reg cab, save $4,000, get better MPG, off road like a Jeep, oh! And buy a tool box so you don't miss the storage space for gym bags, ammo, whatever. Rent a focus if you're stuck on carpool duty.

7. Apr 21, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    Mikk

Mikk Active Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg. Cab, Auto, 4x4
    K&N CAI, Magnaflow muffler, Xenon (non-HID) high/low, Reese aftermarket reciever/plug n play 4 pin, "Taco" badge, 4x4 mud flaps and no further markings Bilstein 5100's at all 4 corners - struts set at 2 inches taller, rear stock height. Magnaflow Exhaust, K&N intake, Husky box carpeted w/LED lights - secured by pros, mounts for AR15.
    ^ Due to a few knee surgeries, I elected to buy an automatic, honestly it was the best choice because you get buckets. The auto is great at keeping the truck at 3k RPM where it makes peak torque and actually gets better mpg than the manual thanks to solid lock up. It can be shifted to all gears and mine is pretty quick (took some breaking in) - keeping in mind my old truck was 400 horsepower Chevy z71. The bench seat was a dealbreaker. For all the manual trans purists, I drive commercially haha shifting is not special to me anymore.

Cali to Washington and never had an issue with any summits on I5, then 199 from Grants Pass to 101 coming home. Overall the 2.7 with auto trans has more than exceeded my expectations.

8. Apr 21, 2012 at 10:41 AM
    Mikk

Mikk Active Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg. Cab, Auto, 4x4
    For sure! Coming out of a sharp hairpin in 2nd gear is something to behold. I have owned sports cars which did not corner as well.

9. Apr 21, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    Mikk

Mikk Active Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg. Cab, Auto, 4x4
    Yes sir, I have the same truck. Only I bought TRD rims off Craigslist, having them powdercoated and using BFG KO's

10. Apr 21, 2012 at 11:00 AM
    Mikk

Mikk Active Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Reg. Cab, Auto, 4x4
    I have been a Jeep owner/builder for years. What Toyota did with this one is give us a platform to customize (the aftermarket is huge). I think this is why the RC appealed to me. To those who claim it is strictly a work truck, my step dad has a Chevy 1500 W/T -- I personally do not like vinyl seats and floor...

Fact is I paid 18k for mine (thanks bro!) and put 8k down. The thing costs me nothing to drive vs my d'max so the mods are very affordable.

Also I frequently have business in San Francisco -- I don't know if there is a city in America where parking is harder to find. Whipping in before someone else = priceless.

Products Discussed in

To Top